Vacation

bmr100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My adorable, 14 year old Tonkinese just spent 11 days being boarded at the vet after I sold my house and had to wait for my new place to be ready for move-in. It broke my heart to leave her caged for that long but I could not find anyone to take her into their home for that time and the place I was temporarily staying was not suitable. So now, I'm going on a business trip for 4 days next week and I'm wondering if it would be best to simply leave her home alone, with plenty of food and water of course. I just hate the thought of her being caged for another 4 days. Thoughts, opinions or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you all!!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a friend, relative or neighbor that can check in on her daily? Or could you hire someone to check in on her? I once went away for four days and paid a pet sitter to come once daily to clean the litter box, feed canned food, ensure my kitty had fresh water and plenty of dry but most importantly the sitter played with my girl and showered her with love. I recieved daily updates and photos, which eased my mind. I was new to the area at the time and did not have any other resource. It worked out fine.
I now have a friend who comes and stays with my kitty if I go out of town, which works even better as my cat is very social and seems to do much better with someone staying with her. Either way, keeping her in her home environment was important to me but I would think if you do opt to keep your girl at home making sure someone looked in on your cat daily would be good idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmr100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your advice. Unfortunately, I have no one I know in the area who can stop in and check on her but maybe I can hire a service. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet's office may be a good resource for locating a sitter to check in daily. Sometimes the techs do this as way to earn extra money and if no one there can do it, they will likely have people they would recommend.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
If you are on Facebook-most towns have a community page where people recommend others for services such as care for child/pet etc and other home services-sometimes you see people advertising their services on there-obviously you would need to check references and if they sent you photos of the cat that would help. Skype is a great tool to connect while you are away. Or hang outs app on the Samsung phone has video call option. most cell phones now have unlimited talk/text so it shouldn't be difficult to be in constant contact with whoever you hire to watch kitty.

Get to know your neighbors-look to see who walks dogs around your house. more than likely maybe they could help you out. I have always taken my animals with me but we don't travel much anymore. Its too stressful for all of us so we only travel once a year and they do go with us but surprisingly Honeybee my youngest kitty gets home sick by the 3rd day and sleeps in the house the rest of the time-we rent a cottage on a lake-they usually love it the first two days then they just sleep all day just like at home :)

Hope you can find someone-if not-add two extra catboxes-you can always use a plastic tote that are for sale at goodwill/salvation army=cut a hole for kitty to get in-then you should be ok. food-for kibble you can always get one of those big feeders like in the 80s where it puts out more food as he eats it. And extra water dishes. maybe set up a few on the counter or kitchen window-my cat honeybee loves to drink out of her cup on the window sill. She wont drink out of a bowl.

bmr100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great suggestions. Thank you for your response. 

bmr100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great idea, I'll call them now. Thank you again!