UVC Germicidal lamp - 100 watt - disinfecting rooms of ringworm spores

Kirkshoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to purchase a 100 watt UVC Germicidal lamp to kill ringworm spores in my home on non-porous surfaces and on carpet, sofas, recliner, bedding and clothing. Has anyone used UVC Germicidal lamps to disinfect ringworm in a room, and was it successful? Any advice would be appreciated.
Amazon UVC Germicidal lamp.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ultraviolet light that is strong enough to kill germs is also strong enough to damage your eyes and skin.

If that lamp actually was powerful enough to kill germs it would be dangerous to be in the same room with it for any amount of time. Your retinas and corneas would be damaged. Your skin would be burned and you'd risk getting skin cancer.

Your best option for disinfecting household surfaces is chlorine bleach.

Mix 1 cup of Clorox Bleach in a gallon of hot water. Scrub everything down with soap and water, first. Rinse well with clear water. Wash with your Clorox solution and let stand until completely dry. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Open the windows for ventilation. Keep cats and kids away until everything is dry and the smell has dissipated.

That UV lamp is most likely a scam. If it actually did what it says it will do, it would be dangerous. I don't think such a dangerous product would be legal to sell to regular consumers via the internet.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Many lamps sold online are fakes. Even some of the ones at costco and simaler stores are fake.

It is also true for theraputic SAD lamps. If it isn't the right frequency it doesn't do anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kirkshoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ultraviolet light that is strong enough to kill germs is also strong enough to damage your eyes and skin.

If that lamp actually was powerful enough to kill germs it would be dangerous to be in the same room with it for any amount of time. Your retinas and corneas would be damaged. Your skin would be burned and you'd risk getting skin cancer.

Your best option for disinfecting household surfaces is chlorine bleach.

Mix 1 cup of Clorox Bleach in a gallon of hot water. Scrub everything down with soap and water, first. Rinse well with clear water. Wash with your Clorox solution and let stand until completely dry. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Open the windows for ventilation. Keep cats and kids away until everything is dry and the smell has dissipated.

That UV lamp is most likely a scam. If it actually did what it says it will do, it would be dangerous. I don't think such a dangerous product would be legal to sell to regular consumers via the internet.
Thanks for your reply. The lamps are sold on many legitimate websites including Amazon, and medical equipment websites. The image of the ad on my post is from Amazon. Here it is described on Wikipedia Germicidal lamp - Wikipedia . Here is an article in Medical News Today - UV light could reduce hospital-acquired infections (medicalnewstoday.com) Prducts for sale online include a clear warning that humans, animals and plants must be removed from the area and not to look at or expose your eyes to the light. before operating. They also include a delayed start so the operator has time to leave the area before it turns on, and they also include a remote control. In one of the reviews on Amazon a buyer stated that exposure to the light killed he houseplants in the area. I am hoping for a response from someone who has actually used a real UVC Germicidal lamp.

The problem with bleach is that it is not suitable for all surfaces, like carpet, fabric covered furniture, colored clothing and bedding. I have also read that bleach should be wiped off of surfaces after 10 minutes of exposure so that there is no residue that can effect pets. I am planning on using Accel/Rescue accelerated hydrogen peroxide, and would like to use a UVC lamp as a backup and to kill ringworm on walls, curtains and small objects that cannot be cleaned with bleach or Rescue.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! You reminded me! Ultraviolet lamps and ionic air purifiers also produce ozone gas!

While that little bit of ozone that you might smell after a thunderstorm might seem refreshing and clean, anything more than that is toxic and harmful to humans and animals.

Contrary to what Gwyneth Paltrow might claim, ozone is something to be avoided!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with bleach is that it is not suitable for all surfaces...
Yes, I agree. :)

Bleach is only suitable for washable surfaces, not wood, fabric or other absorbent materials. However, UV works best on hard surfaces but not so well on soft surfaces like fabric or carpet. Washable fabrics should be washed in the washing machine with hot water. (If the fabric is made to be washed in hot water.) Use bleach or laundry sanitizer and, if you want to be extra careful, wash twice then dry well. Carpets and upholstery should be cleaned with a carpet cleaning machine, using hot water and whatever sanitizing agent is suitable for the machine being used and the fabric being treated. Extract as much of the cleaning solution as possible then ensure everything is well dried before using.

If bleach is diluted properly, 1 cup / gallon (1:16 dilution) before using, you should not have to worry. Just be sure you use gloves, eye protection and splash-proof apron. Think about it... If you are trying to disinfect ringworm spores, you'd probably want to wear protective clothing, regardless. Right? (You don't want to transfer spores from place to place while you are trying to clean.)

Anyhow, the key is to let the item dry completely after sanitizing. It doesn't matter if you use bleach or something else. Treating the surface with a sanitizer of your choice then allowing it to remain wet is what does the work. Like you say, a minimum of ten minutes. If you can still smell the sanitizer on the item being treated, it's not done yet.

Although chlorine bleach is the cheapest, easiest to use and most effective sanitizing agent, there are other things you can use.

Look on the ingredients label for "quaternary ammonium" or similar things.
(Names such as "didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride" or "alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride".)

These substances are sometimes referred to in shorthand as "Quat."

If you don't like chlorine you can use Quat. It will work just as well, provided you follow the instructions on the label, to the letter.

I understand that many people don't want to use chlorine because it's a "nasty chemical." Yes, it is nasty stuff! I used to work in a place where they bought liquid chlorine solution in 500 gallon containers. It's nothing to trifle with!

However, we're all adults here. We all know how to handle things safely. (Gosh! I HOPE we do! ;) )

People pump gasoline into their cars, by the gallon, and few people stop to think how dangerous it really is. (Toxic AND explosive!)

Properly used, chlorine bleach is no more harmful than anything else you might use, day to day, such as gasoline.

If you ventilate well while you are using it and allow the smell to go away before using it, there should be no problems with chlorine or any other sanitizer such as Quat.

Companies like Amazon only want to make a quick buck. They'd rather sell you a UV lamp for $269.00 than a $5.00 bottle of bleach or Quat-based household sanitizer. There is no magic bullet and there's no better and cheaper way to sanitize than to use your favorite disinfectant solution and some good, old elbow grease. ;)