UTI's

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
Took Raven in today for his yrly wellness exam, dental, bloodwork, UA, etc & he was not a happy camper at all as I was unable to feed him his breakfast & he's a real chow hound cat, too. Well, the good news is that he didn't need a dental so he could have eaten breakfast after all; however, the bad news is that he had a UTI (low-grade infection) which surprised me as he should no symptoms of having any issues. So, its a good thing that I went ahead & had a UA done on him & I guess it was at an early stage so we caught it in time. My vet gave him an antibiotic injection that last for 2 wks, thank goodness as he's not easy to medicate & I have to take him back in 2 wks for one more injection. He won't like that but at least, he can eat his breakfast before we go. Other than that, he checked out good & healthy, what a relief.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi I am sorry about your kitty and hope it will be feeling better soon.What i can tell you about urine testing is a few things.Whenever you have a urine test done if bacteria is shown in the test a culture & sensitivity test must be done.In other words they grow it to see exactly what type of bacteria it is and give the appropriate antibiotics to kill this particular bacteria.Too many times have I seen antibiotics given and the vet doesn't even know what type of bacteria it is.If ever you have questions here is a group that deal with all urinary issues and a have multiple years of experience of botched vet attempts only for that bacteria to reappear in the kitty.Their link is

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FLUTD/info HTH C.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your concern & Raven seems to be doing ok. As far as the UA that was done, I trust my technician very much as I was the office manager there for 35 yrs & I trust my vet exclusively, too  I do know about culture & sensitivity tests as well & know that we caught it very early which was a good thing.