UTI

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe my Sqeeker has a UTI. He's been peeing without awareness a few times a day for 4 days. He is also using the litterbox with big steady flows. He doesn't mind company so I've followed and listened. This makes me think UTI not blockage. He seems healthy in all other ways. Very alert, playing, eating, and drinking.

We lost his Yoshi on August 16th. They were very bonded, Yoshi was very much his support animal. Sqeeker is an untouchable cat so we're doing our best to show him love and support without over stressing him. I expected a stress related UTI but expected it sooner.

I've called the vet every morning for a same day appt but none are available since Tuesday. I will try again in the morning. Today I called all the local vets with no success. How long do I wait before we go to an emergency vet? I admit money is part of the issue and worry that an er vet could be thousands and unnecessary x-rays and tests for a UTI. He is easily frightened, 16ys, and hasn't been to a vet without his brother since he was 7mts.

Having just lost Yoshi, everyday when I hear try tomorrow I'm in tears and worry I'll lose Sqeeker too. I know this is illogical.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you buy, or pick up from the vets, a urine collection kit? It is non-absorbable crystals you place in a clean litter box that you can syringe the urine from once Squeeker pees. The sample can then be taken to the vet for testing, without an appt. Most vets will accept a sample this way, but you should call them and ask first.

If not that, most vets will accept a walk in, vs. an actual appt, for a urine sample to be drawn by a tech. You can also check to see if your vet will do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I've never done that before. Our old vet just pressed the correct button and the cat peed. I'm picking one up this afternoon but they have to see him for results

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you go to the ER, remember that you don't have to sign on for every test they want to do. There will usually be an additional walk in fee, which you can't do anything about, but in your case you are concerned about a UTI as the emergency, not everything else about the your cat's health. Insist that they check only for that. You may get some pushback, but stand your ground.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took him to the ER Vet yesterday. He has FLUTD and they gave him pain meds. I have the collection kit and will put it down again tonight.

I've looked up FLUTD and the info feels vague. There is very little on how to treat it. I know getting a sample to be tested will give some options.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, the vet didn't collect a urine sample while you were there? How did they diagnose FLUTD?

FLUTD is vague from the sense that many cases are stress related, and so an absolute treatment that works is hard to obtain. A lot of it deals with alleviating stress from a cat's environment to help. Another 'term' to look up would be 'FIC' - feline idiopathic cystitis. May give some additional information for you to read. The terms are often used interchangeably.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How did they diagnose FLUTD?
Thank you FeebysOwner FeebysOwner The FIC site I've found are more informative.

Just by his symptoms. They a gave him fluids and sent home buprenorphine. So far I haven't found wet spots under him. I'm crossing my fingers that his stress is lower that it cleared on it's own but I will still be on the phone every am for the same day appt. I realized that we still had the ac on when this started and I was dressed for winter. Without someone he's willing to cuddle with I wonder if the cold had something to do with this. He'll stay under a blanket for a short time. I wouldn't let my partner put the ac on last night just aimed 3 fans at her.

He usually sleeps all day and has never been a big eater (not under weight, just right). He's hasn't napped since I got up 7hrs ago and keeps asking for food. He ate his 1/2 can fancy feast, 1/2 pouch bisque, some grilled chicken, 6 temptations, and I've heard him eating dry food.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm beginning to wonder if this behavioral. He had one spotting last night during ice cream time and none over night. He usually peed with Yoshi. I'd go downstairs, Yoshi followed me, and Sqeeker followed him. They'd then do their synchronized potty act.

In the morning he's a love bug. I can pet him and he loves brushing. He hadn't used the collection box yet so I took him down and put him on the floor. He jumped right in the crystal litter without a second sniff. He got scared about 1/2 way down the stairs so maybe I scared the p out of him.

I'll have a better idea of what's going on when we get the results. I put a box on the main level and will try to entice him near it with toys through out the day. Once he realizes this routine isn't about me trying to touch him I'm hoping he'll use the box without company.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the afternoon I showed him the new box. He sniffed it for a while and went back to bed. When he got up 6hrs later I was able to take him to it again. He sniffed it for a while then got in. I could see him sitting in it for over 5min. I though he was just sitting but he peed a great deal and there were not accidents during the day. I'm confused but thrilled.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another great day and a piece of the puzzle. No accidents and he used the main floor box exclusively. I just went down stairs and found an invasion of crickets. Sqeeker is easily scared. Now to figure out what to do about the crickets.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
His Urinalysis came back normal. This scare made me realized how much I love this little weirdo. He's adorable, his oddball antics are entertaining, but I always thought of him as more Yoshi's cat than ours.