UTI - Home Remedy?

cosmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My five year old male short hair has had a few urinary tract infections over the years. I know the best treatment is to take him to the vet. But are there any natural ways to prevent UTI in the first place?

Is there a dietary component to this? Do low-cost cat foods increase the chances of UTI?

Thanks

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low cost cats foods are bad for bladder problems and make them worse. You need to watch your cat closely because once he had one he will get more. My Cat is on C/D and Roayal Canin Urinary.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cosmo

Hello,

My five year old male short hair has had a few urinary tract infections over the years. I know the best treatment is to take him to the vet. But are there any natural ways to prevent UTI in the first place?

Is there a dietary component this? Do low-cost cat foods increase the chances of UTI?

Thanks
Were there crystals involved? Many have found that crystals can be prevented by controlling the pH of the urine. Feeding raw is one way to naturally control urine pH and keep it at a level to prevent crystals.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Were there crystals involved? Many have found that crystals can be prevented by controlling the pH of the urine. Feeding raw is one way to naturally control urine pH and keep it at a level to prevent crystals.
This is our big debate
.....if you choose to feed raw, please do so under the guidance of a vet. Do your own research first.

That said....with my lot I've had every UTI issue under the sun, I swear.
Lower quality foods can cause UTI issues. More wet food helps prevent UTI issues, however....wet foods high in fish can make UTI issues worse. (Fish = more/higher magnesium....magnesium *can* contribute to UTI issues)

Some cats need to be on Rx diets for life. I have a kitty who will pee straight blood if I take him off Science Diet C/D. So he eats primarily the C/D dry, with canned food 2x a day.

Some foods are UTI certified. Pro Plan makes both canned & dry that's UTI certified, but it's not the highest quality food. Wellness dry says on the bag that it helps maintain urinary pH, so that's the food we're on at my house right now....so far with success. Doesn't mean it will work for your kitty.

Bottom line is that every cat will be different. I find it best to do your own research, talk to your vet, and determine between you/the vet what's the best course of action.

(For food advice, you can always PM our "food advisor" sharky )

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Do your own research first.
Absolutely. As should be done with everything written by everyone in these forums. There are no experts here. Just people sharing their experiences.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
white cat lover is right about the fish. All Coco has to do is it a few pieces of food with fish in and she will have blood and the problem will come back. What does your vet sugest? Midnight can not eat fish either or he will get crystals.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Absolutely. As should be done with everything written by everyone in these forums. There are no experts here. Just people sharing their experiences.
though some have far far more experience

UTI s are a hard one .... some do well on a low end yet UTI certified formula .. while others do well on a non certified yet within the % guidelines ..some require the higher end certified OTC . most will do better on canned ... some do need RX for life ... some do well with raw while in others it worsens the issue...

Bottom line you do the research then present it to your vet and have a good discussion on what the first line of treatment should be ....

PH variations when coupled with higher than needed levels of minerals are what seem to be the main cause ... so did the low end food cause it not likely did it help contribute IMHO likely

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh & I didn't mean to say completely rule out raw....it's just my opinion that it should be done under the guidance of the vet.