Uthrostomy closed over?!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Theodore, you are such a precious boy!!
You look so much better then that pitiful boy wearing the collar of shame!!!
I'm so happy for you Theodore!!!
Kisses and Hugs for you sweetie!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been almost 2 weeks! Almost 2 weeks and I still have Theodore back to his old crazy loopy happy ways! He is still giving us many laughs. I'm so glad we persisted through 2 and a half months and and patient vet and an even more patient kitty. I think we've finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel :)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: That's wonderful to hear! Theodore and Mango are both such lovely fluffies!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been almost 2 weeks! Almost 2 weeks and I still have Theodore back to his old crazy loopy happy ways! He is still giving us many laughs. I'm so glad we persisted through 2 and a half months and and patient vet and an even more patient kitty. I think we've finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel :)
Elise, I'm so happy for you and Theodore!!!
Yes I agree it was worth it and Theodore knows that all he went through was to make him better. I believe felines are that intelligent!!
Oh Theodore you are a precious boy who your family LOVES very much!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!
Kisses and Hugs!!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm so glad you (and Theodore) pushed through these past months with fortitude and gave it your all. It really paid off. 

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theodore gave us a scare yesterday :( He projectile vomited water and bits of food 4 times in 12 hours. He became rather unwell and not wanting to eat or play. My husband felt for his bladder and sure enough, it was palpable. He took him to the vet this morning and they found a crystal plug in the urethra. The vet and my hubby threaded a catheter into theodore without sedation( poor cat must be used to all of this fuss by now) and drained his bladder again. The urethra is still nice and wide and there was no resistance to getting the catheter in this time. The vet said that it was partly our fault because we have stopped feeding him a prescription diet we were told we could stop. As a result of still having crystals, he is now crystal prone and must stay on the Hills Science diet for life.  He hasn't wanted to eat anything since coming home again.

The other small issue is separating the two cats for feeding as feeding both the Hills diet would become rather expensive!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theodore gave us a scare yesterday :( He projectile vomited water and bits of food 4 times in 12 hours. He became rather unwell and not wanting to eat or play. My husband felt for his bladder and sure enough, it was palpable. He took him to the vet this morning and they found a crystal plug in the urethra. The vet and my hubby threaded a catheter into theodore without sedation( poor cat must be used to all of this fuss by now) and drained his bladder again. The urethra is still nice and wide and there was no resistance to getting the catheter in this time. The vet said that it was partly our fault because we have stopped feeding him a prescription diet we were told we could stop. As a result of still having crystals, he is now crystal prone and must stay on the Hills Science diet for life.  He hasn't wanted to eat anything since coming home again.

The other small issue is separating the two cats for feeding as feeding both the Hills diet would become rather expensive!
Elise I'm heartbroken!! Theodore was doing so well. I don't have any answers except to take his food into a room and sit with him, while he eats. I had a kitty I had to feed separately. I would allow him to eat what was left in the other bowls but I made sure he ate his first. He wasn't on prescriptions but I had to mix medicine in his food.
I know it has to be overwhelming for you. I know there's a specific ingredient in the prescription food that breaks down crystals. I know some members buy
it and add it to their food instead of buying the prescription food. Another member would have to come and help you with that. I hate prescription diets. I feel it's a big sham but if I didn't have a choice then I would have to go that route.
Please give him HUGS for me!!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jodie, it sucks! But like the vet said obviously we had become complacent in the feeding issue and clearly he does need the special diet, even if it was $49 for a 4lb bag of dry. It will last awhile. We can get 24 cans of hills c/d wet for $64 but he was never a big eater of wet food anyhow! All will be ok. Right now he is curled up on a heating pad with his favourite blanket, high up on top of a bookshelf!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jodie, it sucks! But like the vet said obviously we had become complacent in the feeding issue and clearly he does need the special diet, even if it was $49 for a 4lb bag of dry. It will last awhile. We can get 24 cans of hills c/d wet for $64 but he was never a big eater of wet food anyhow! All will be ok. Right now he is curled up on a heating pad with his favourite blanket, high up on top of a bookshelf!
Ya they really jack up the price on "prescriptions". There's really no reason for it to be prescription except as an excuse to put money in a vets pocket but in the long run what is best for Theodore is this food with this specific ingredient. In the long run IT WILL keep him crystal free and save him from frequent vet trips!!
I would do the same thing if it saved my baby from pain. I know some members, after a while, will mix prescription with the good food.. That way they stretch it out but that's after their baby has been crystal free for a while.
Prayers and Hugs to Theodore!!

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found I can buy the s/d and c/d food online and so i think when he has finished the s/d bag we bought from the vet, we'll buy the c/d bag online because it's considerably cheaper. It's not like the vet isn't getting money out of us lol. I worry that Theodore will get bored of the taste of it after awhile and won't want to eat it!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found I can buy the s/d and c/d food online and so i think when he has finished the s/d bag we bought from the vet, we'll buy the c/d bag online because it's considerably cheaper. It's not like the vet isn't getting money out of us lol. I worry that Theodore will get bored of the taste of it after awhile and won't want to eat it!

Yes Elise, if you can order it online ,do it!!!
Well if Theodore should get bored try mixing it with his favorite food. That way he's still getting what he needs even if it's not 100%. It's a shame he don't care for can food as it's better for him but ya order it. You're right about the vet getting enough of your money! You just paid for him to have a nice vacation!! Ha-Ha

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL! He just went on a vacation to Italy for 2 weeks prior to the 2nd surgery! No, the vet is a really nice  guy and really steps up to the challenge when you need him to. He loves what he does :)

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor baby still isn't doing great. He has lost his appetite for food but he will drink. He's back on anti inflammatories and anti-biotics for a week. He's just happy enough to stay perched up high on a bookshelf on a heated pad. We are letting him rest as much as possible.

I did go ahead and order the s/d wet food. It's alot of money but they should last awhile.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still no improvement over the day. He can still pee, but won't unless we put him on the letterbox. He has lost all interest in eating and drinking so hubby was giving him water with a syringe and dropping dry food in his mouth. Im tempted to take him back to the vet tomorrow.
Does anyone know if it's theoretically possible for him to have low blood sugar from not eating and it's causing lethargy?

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still no improvement over the day. He can still pee, but won't unless we put him on the letterbox. He has lost all interest in eating and drinking so hubby was giving him water with a syringe and dropping dry food in his mouth. Im tempted to take him back to the vet tomorrow.
Does anyone know if it's theoretically possible for him to have low blood sugar from not eating and it's causing lethargy?
Elise I'm so sorry I haven't been on for a while..I'm battling walking pneumonia. Enough about me.

I'm so upset reading about poor Theodore!!! Yes his sugar can drop but worse if hr doesn't get food his liver will fail and it happens quickly!!! You have to syringe him food but he definitely should go back to the vet!! Have you tried giving him baby food ( chicken or turkey nothing else added) or you can try a can of tuna. It's ok for emergency feeding.
I don't know why he's not eating so a vet visit is in order. With all that he's gone through he might have an infection somewhere.
(((Hugs)))

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jodie, I will reply to this post in the other one to save any confusion! Lets just say I might have had a lightbulb go off in my head :)