Using Feliway Cat Diffuser en

eddieem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered feliway cat diffuser on Amazon and received it today. How should I use this:

It says to place it where cats spend most of their time, so I will place it in the living room which then goes into my room and hallway. Will the diffuser spread enough towards the whole house? Also, should I use the outlet hat is ~ 1-2 feet from the floor or use one that is higher? Like a kitchen outlet?

Another thing: Is there a rate to set the diffuser at? I m still at school, but I know its home already so that's why I am asking before hand. If there is a rate, what should I set it at?

The refill should be every four weeks correct?

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plug it into the wall where it's not obstructed. So, don't put it behind a piece of furniture or anything. The diffuser rotates so you might need to turn the diffuser part to fit into your sockets. The feliway container should hang down. Change it every 4 weeks. There's only two settings, on (plugged in) and off (unplugged).

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't put it near a window as it isn't that effective near an air space. Also, don't expect it to be an instant problem solver. It takes weeks for the pheremones to get around the house (depending on how large a home you have.) It's not a fix in ten minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eddieem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Another quick question:

I use Glade and Air Quick diffusers so my apartment smells good, will this cause any problem in the effectiveness of the feliway?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have an answer to that because we don't use those things (triggers DH's asthma). Hopefully someone will come along with an answer soon.

Stephanie

maureenl128

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am also using one in my hallway. I am on a week and a hlaf now but I also have heard it can take a few weeks for it to really kick in. Definitly put it where they are the most and not by a door or window. Good luck!

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats used to be a stray, and as a result can be very jittery. Feliway is a necessity for him. I tried to discontinue it after 2 years, thinking that he didn't need it anymore. Within hours he would jump and puff up at the smallest sound. He really, really, reeeally depends on its soothing presence.

He even knows when I am opening the refill box. He comes right over and paws / nuzzles my leg as if I had food!

The instructions say to change the bottle every 6 weeks, even if there is still liquid present. This is a good idea -- it does seem to lose its efficacy close to the 6 week mark.

I don't know how it works with behavior problems such as spraying -- we've never had that problem. But for general anxiety, it makes such a dramatic difference.

My other cat is normally very sedate, so it doesn't seem to affect her one way or the other.

I hope it works for you! Good luck!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually using the air fresheners can cause problems if you have cats. They can react aggressively to some smells or get restless or irritated. Think about it, they respond to scents more than sights- some of those fresheners are pretty strong and should be avoided.