Using cat shampoo on a dog

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got into a bit of a debate with someone on over wheather or not CAT shampoo can be used to wash a dog.

Personaly I don't see why not. Aren't they basicaly the same thing?

I know medicated shampoos (flea and tick) can't be interchanged but generic cat shampoo how different is it from dog shampoo? And why couldn't cat shampoo be used on a dog?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I got into a bit of a debate with someone on over wheather or not CAT shampoo can be used to wash a dog.

Personaly I don't see why not. Aren't they basicaly the same thing?

I know medicated shampoos (flea and tick) can't be interchanged but generic cat shampoo how different is it from dog shampoo? And why couldn't cat shampoo be used on a dog?
I've used cat and baby shampoos on dogs. Never had a problem.
I think cat shampoo is safe for dogs, but not all dog shampoo is safe for cats.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a one-off situation, I don't see a problem.

If you need to wash the dog but you don't have any shampoo specifically for dogs, I suppose it'd be all right to use cat shampoo but I agree that it's not the optimal solution.

The caveat would be medicated shampoos for fleas and other conditions. Medicated shampoos should NOT be interchanged! Medications for dogs might make cats sick and the opposite, medicated shampoo for cats, might also harm dogs.

To be honest, I wouldn't interchange cat and dog products at all. If I didn't have any bespoke cat/dog shampoo but needed to wash my pet, I would use something like Dr. Bronner's "Baby Mild" castile soap. It might cause dry skin or fur if used frequently but it won't cause any direct harm in the short term.

When I was a kid, when we need to wash our dogs we just took them down to the lake for a swim. Throw a stick into the water and let them fetch it. That usually did the trick.

Taking your cat down to the lake for a swim probably isn't going to work out, very well, however... ;) ;) ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Lake woun't get rid of bad smells or yucky stuff though.

Goose poop is particularly gross. Right up there with skunk.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They were hunting dogs. As long as they were mostly clean, they didn't have to be all spiffy like house dogs.

There were a couple of occasions where we squirted some shampoo on the dogs before throwing a stick for them to swim after again. The dogs just thought we were rough housing on the beach but they were actually getting lathered up! ;)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They were hunting dogs. As long as they were mostly clean, they didn't have to be all spiffy like house dogs.

There were a couple of occasions where we squirted some shampoo on the dogs before throwing a stick for them to swim after again. The dogs just thought we were rough housing on the beach but they were actually getting lathered up! ;)
I used to send my GSD outside to play in the sprinkler if I didn't have time to give him a bath. :lol: