Using a camping tent to isolate a new kitty in my household?

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a stray in my backyard that I want to catch, get checked up by a veterinarian, get shots, spayed and ... after that I'm not sure. I'd love for her to live with me, but my resident cat doesn't tolerate other kitties well and can be very aggressive. 

She's not feral; she seems to have been with people for a while; she's started letting me pet her and is really very friendly, and she even lets me pick her up. And she walks right through the open back door to eat my cat's food when I'm late putting her breakfast or supper out on the patio -- fortunately only when my cat is napping ... so far anyway. 

That said, I'll probably have to bring her home with me to recover from the hospital stay, but I don't really have separate rooms in my home. I have a 2 story loft space with a ground floor and a basement, and only the bathrooms have doors.  Would a large camping tent suffice to isolate her for the days or weeks that she is in my home, hopefully to bond with my resident cat? My basement floor is about 800 sq ft, is finished and has windows and a door to the outside, so I thought I could put something up down there to hold her litter box, food, bedding, etc. 

Does that seem like a feasible or workable approach?

Thanks very much in advance,

Angela

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have her checkup, shots, blood work, and hopefully spaying scheduled for next week now. This gives me time to figure out how to create an isolated place in my open space for her to recover as comfortably as possible. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for helping this cat.  Many people wouldn't.

If possible, a large dog crate is going to work better than a tent.  She will be able to escape the tent and you may lose her in the basement.  

If you can't get a dog crate, can you give up one of your bathrooms for a week or so?  She'd have her own safe room and it will help begin the process of acclimating her to being inside and living with your family.

You can also introduce her to your resident cat through a screen door on the bathroom.  The screen will enable them to see and smell one another without giving the ability to touch (yet).  Slow introductions done this way are usually more successful.

I would allow her to recuperate by herself for a week before beginning any introductions.

Keep us posted!

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response Ondine.

Neither of my bathrooms is large enough to shut her in for an extended time. I'll see if I can find a large dog crate.

Thanks again,

a

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A large dog crate would be best.  You could even try to put two crates together with zip ties or bungie cords to give her more space.  Then as she recovers you could allow her to be in your basement.  Just be sure it is cat proofed.  Block off behind furniture or small spaces.  She will try to find those places to hide.  Yet do have a hiding place for her even if it's just a cardboard box with a towel.  A cat tree with a hiding box would be great near a window.

As far as introducing her to your resident cat, it can be done.  Just take it very very slowly.  Can you block off with a screen door the basement so your resident cat cannot get down there?  I brought a feral/stray cat into my home 2 years ago.  He was very territorial aggressive.  IT took me one year to get him introduced to my resident cat.  It was  full of trial and error, but in the end they are now buddies.  It just needs to be done slowly and I mean slowly.  If you rush steps, you will have to move backwards.  I used a screen door that I bought at Lowes for $20 and attached it to my door frame with tension rods.  Not sure this would work for you.  I had a baby gate in the door way for extra protection.  The screen was a bit flimsy, but it worked well.  I only used this set up when I was home to supervise.  I have pictures of the set up if you would like to see them.

I will post some articles and a video on cat to cat introductions.  Thank you so much for caring for this sweet girl.  It is a wonderful thing you are doing for her. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply ShadowsRescue! And thank you for all of the resource links; I will be reviewing those shortly.

You've all convinced me that a dog crate would work best.

I plan to get something today, because this kitty is ready to come inside. She waits outside on the patio for her breakfast or supper, then after she eats she waits outside for me to come out and pet her. And after that, she waits by the back door for quite a while because she really wants to come inside. 

I'm calling around all of the pet supply stores in my area to see what they have in stock. If they don't have something sufficient, there are a few items I found on Amazon that I can get delivered tomorrow.

I just really hope my resident cat doesn't freak out for too long. I accidentally left my back door ajar after I fed her this morning, and he pried it open and was watching her eat. I grabbed him by the scruff and he hissed & growled. Sigh.

Unfortunately I can't lock him out of the basement. I have my bedroom down there, as well as one of his kitty beds and one of his two litter boxes. If I could lock him out of the basement, I'm afraid it might do as much harm (resentment) as good.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you do not have a door or a place to keep him separate, be sure to cover the dog cage with a towel or sheet or keep them apart.  Also really do your best to keep them separated while she is recovering from her spay.  Maybe you will get lucky and she is already spayed.  Be sure to have the vet look for a tatoo or spay scar first.

Intros will be a bit more tricky, but it can be done.  Just don't expect it to be quick.  I would suggest getting a feliway diffuser for the basement area.  Also look into composure calming treats or Composure liquid max.  It's a nonsedating calming supplement.  I used it with my two and it worked very well.  You can find both on Amazon.

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You read my mind ShadowsRescue on the Feliway diffuser. I found a dealer nearby and I'm going to go pick it up shortly. Hopefully I can find those Composure treats nearby too, otherwise I'll order from Amazon. Thanks for that suggestion.

I just ordered an extra large dog crate from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow. Shipping was expensive, but I've decided to get her indoors tomorrow or Sunday. At least I can have the crate set up early tomorrow to allow the resident varmint to get used to it. 

I have the stray kitty (now named Emmaline) scheduled for her health checkup, shots and possible spaying next Thursday. The clinic is aware that I have no health records for her, and that she could already be spayed, OR she could be pregnant. She'll be getting an ultrasound during her initial checkup.

I'm pretty sure this is the same kitty I saw with some kittens a couple of months ago. I thought she was a stray and was leaving food out for her then, but she and the kittens disappeared after a couple of weeks so I figured they must belong to someone after all.  I'm wondering if she's back because she's pregnant again. She's not very big but she's eating like a horse.

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the good advice. I'm feeling much better prepared to do this now.

Best,

Angela

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen Composure in some pet stores and some vets carry them as well.  Yet I find the best price on Amazon or EntirelyPets.com  Some cats don't like the treats and it takes a lot of treats to work well.  I preferred the liquid as it was easy to mix into wet food 2x a day.  I gave 1/2 t. in the morning and 1/4 t. at night.  I did this for months.  When I used the treats it would take 3 or more 2x a day.  My cats started to not like them.  I have never found the liquid in a pet store. 

A dog crate will work well for her and be sure to get a small litter box for her to use in the back of the crate and keep the food in the front.  Cats don't like their food/water near their litter. 

When I was working with my two, I did a lot of exercises with a large dog crate.  I would keep the crate fully covered at first and then move to only 3 sides covered and so forth.  Use food rewards to help.  Find something special both cats like.  I used plain cooked chicken or canned tuna or salmon.

Thank you once again for all you are doing for her.  I hope she isn't pregnant again.

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't found the Composure so far, but I found NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid in a gel form.  The resident varmint was looking out the window at Emmaline and hissing, so I gave him some right away. It made him sneeze, of course. Oy. Hopefully some got into him so we can see how he tolerates it.

I got two Feliway diffusers, a small litter pan and a small cardboard scratching pad. I think all of that will fit into the crate with the food & water and a soft blanket. I had gotten her a new litter box and carrier yesterday that would have worked well with my tent idea, but that box will be a bit too big for a crate. Now that anyone who knows anything has convinced me a crate is the way to go, I'm scaling down Emmaline's equipment for the duration of the crate residency.

Thanks so much for all of the great advice.

Angela

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keep us posted on how it's going with Emmaline (beautiful name by the way!).  I hope she adjusts well to living inside with the love and comforts of inside.  It may take her a bit and she may not like the cage too much.  She can have some of the composure too.  It might help her as well. 

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will do so, ShadowsRescue. Thank you again, and Ondine, for all of your good advice. 

I've got 2 Feliway units deployed: one at the top of the large, open staircase that leads down to the basement (the basement that will significantly change for my resident varmint tomorrow or Sunday) and one at the far end of the basement near where I plan to set up Emmaline's crate tomorrow. I'm worried too that she won't like the cage; I know I wouldn't, but I want to make it as comfortable, cozy and inviting as possible.

I'm going to do some scent exchange with socks tonight and see if I can ease the path somewhat. This was a recommended technique in the second of the list of resource links that you provided above.

Emmaline is not afraid of my resident cat, but my resident cat is very hostile when he sees her outside -- as he is with all other cats in my experience. I've never had another cat in our home since I adopted him when he was ten years old; he's sixteen now. I wish I could say that he's mellowing with age, but he ain't. I'll also be looking out for someone nearby with whom I can rehome Emmaline if my cat doesn't come around. I don't want to make her life another hell.

One thing that concerns me, apart from all of the myriad other obvious issues, is that she doesn't appear to be able to vocalize. She squeaks very, very softly. I was counting on being able to hear her during the next several months/years as we initiate this introduction/transition. 

Thanks again, and best wishes,

Angela

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a cat who squeaks. She does not meow at all and it is the only noise, other than purring, that she makes. Now that I think of it, she has an autoimmune disorder that affects her ears. She was left untreated with ear mites for more than a year before we rescued her and developed the disorder. It may not have anything to do to with it, but make sure the vet checks your kitty's ears thoroughly, just in case.

Re: your resident cat. We have a cat who has her own room - she does not play well with kitties. Humans are fine and we visit her several times a day so she gets attention. But let one of our other cats even sit near her door and she goes crazy. She has been sitting at the door, waiting when we've opened it. She rarely comes out but she will let any cat sitting in the hallway that she is quite displeased! It's kind of funny because all the cats know to avoid her majesty!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my inside cats does not meow either.  He meeps!  It's a quiet little sound and it took him over 9 months for us to hear him make a sound.  One of my ferals that I am working with now has yet to make a sound.  He will now rub up against my legs and I have seen him open his mouth to make a sound, but nothing comes out.  Some cats are just not very vocal. 

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Ondine. I'm looking forward to getting her all checked up by the vet next week.

I got a door installed in the entry to my office on the ground floor that also opens out to the patio. It was a sudden decision, but once I realized it was possible, and I had someone available to do the installation last evening.

My office is between the kitchen and the backyard, and it's pretty much the epicenter of the house. But now it has a door, so that's where I think I will isolate Emmaline. I actually let her in last night, put a litter pan, food, water and a down pillow on the floor of the office and shut the door to the rest of the apartment. I also left the back door to the patio ajar, so that she could go back outside if she wanted.

Probably not best idea since I live in Brooklyn, but it seemed like an easy way to begin the transition. I really don't want to just snatch her off of the patio and put her into a cage in the basement. 

Right now Emmaline seems to like relaxing on her pillow in the office or on the patio just outside the door. She's used her litter box a few times. I'm adding water to her wet food

I'm alternating between closing the back door and opening the office door, and opening the patio door and closing the office door. This is how it's going to be, at least for today.

Meanwhile, the crate arrived and I'll figure out where to put it later.

Many thanks to all,

Angela

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How awesome that you now have a door.  It will make things so much easier for introductions!  She certainly is adjusting well.  She must have been someone's cat at one time since she knows how to use a litter box. 

You are doing great with her!

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I figured that I have at least one month of decent weather left during which I can do this indoor/outdoor thing with the back door open for a good part of the day. This way both cats share the space, just not at the same time. And I need to make sure that she doesn't eat or drink the night before her vet appointment on Thursday, since she'll probably be spayed that day.

angelad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both Ondine and ShadowsRescue mentioned having a screen door in the doorway of a room where a new kitty resides.  ShadowsRescue, you mentioned you installed something from Lowe's; can you provide a link or a description? I think I might just keep her in the office. And now that I've installed a door, I may as well get a screen for the later stages of the integration. 

The little litter box I put in the office has gotten quite a few contributions from both kitties. I hope it's a constructive part of a bonding process.

Thanks so much.

Angela