Useless Insurance [female BC talk warning!]

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an iud but its the 10 yr copper one. I can't have anything with hormones or it could basically kill me. I have a major clotting disorder. Anyways try talking to your doctor about that one instead. I don't know the name of it tho. It doesn't lighten your periods it can actually make them heavier mine last about a week with 2 days being actually heavy. But as for side effects I have none. The biggest effect I've noticed is that I sometimes get cramps in a specific spot but its nothing that is omg painful. As for the first 2 months it really wasn't anything that was noticable except some minor spotting roughly 2 days after it was put in. I have had it in for 6 yrs this past oct and it will come out right after I turn 30. My dr wouldn't fix me either when I asked because I was only 20 but due to my clotting disorder I was unable to take the pill or anything like that. As for it being an option for people who have had kids, I don't really think that means its not an option for someone who hasn't had any.

I hope you get it straightened out and find a solution. I got lucky my insurance covered the whole thing and to get it replaced bfs insurance would cover it minus the 25 dollar copay (afterwe get married and I'm added to his plan of course lol).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strange_wings, yes the Canadian fighter pilot. Lucky her
I will be calling insurance to see their reasoning as to why they dont cover it, because that's just dumb of them.

The copper one is the Paragard. I thought about it since it's good for 10 years, but I already had MISERABLE periods before I got on BC pills. Ever since I've been on them, they've toned it down a lot. To the point where they barely show up, which has been kind of scary (and yes I know chances are they may disappear with the Mirena also). My friend had Paragard and she only put up with it for a year, because she wouldn't be able to walk at times during her period, which has always been horrible for her as well. Thanks for the suggestion though

Part of me is thinking "If it aint broke, why fix it?" and just cancel the appointment, make it into a talk appointment about future options, and continue on the pills until the minimum age she'll fix me. But at the same time I think its worth a shot too. If I can have something that will hang out for 5 years, I dont have to worry about daily, and then I can get sterilized, why not give it a try? I will be asking the doctor about removal and all that just to have the knowledge in case it has to happen, which would suck. I've read many horror stories, but most of the time people dont go to a site to compliment a product, they usually go if something is negative about a product.

Originally Posted by sharky

Now I am no expert but is Mirena just recommended for those who have had at Least one child? Ie works better in those who have physically had a baby?

As for why they wont let you get a tubal is beoynd me ...
The Mirena site says that its preferred for a woman that's had at least one child, but I think it's because the cervix has been dilated/opened. They gave me a Misopropal pill to dilate me somewhat to take the night before. I also have a tilted uterus, which I'm sure isnt going to make it any more pleasant. Hubby is scheduled to come be my pain squeezer. Some people have written they also think its recommended for those who have kids in case a chance you are rendered infertile somehow, with how lawsuit happy the world is. The wont give me a darn tubal because it seems people think "I'm too young to know what I want"
27 was the youngest she said she'd do it if I do Mirena for 5 years, which is younger than the 30+ they prefer.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
<<The Mirena site says that its preferred for a woman that's had at least one child, but I think it's because the cervix has been dilated/opened. They gave me a Misopropal pill to dilate me somewhat to take the night before. I also have a tilted uterus, which I'm sure isnt going to make it any more pleasant.>>

I have a tilted uterus too. So I wanted to try the Mirena. Because I can't take regular birth control pills anymore, they raise my blood pressure.

However- the day I went in to get mine put in- my doctor couldn't get it in. Tried for 15 minutes. It hurt SO MUCH. I was never charged for it- so then she put me on Depo (which caused me to gain 10 lbs ).

If I had my choice- I wouldn't do anything at all. But I've got endometriosis, and my periods can get really painful and heavy, so I have to take something to control it.

I'm not trying to talk you out of Mirena- I've heard it's wonderful, and if my body had cooperated I would have done that instead of Depo.

And I think it's kind of silly for the doctor not to give you a tubal if you don't want it. I guess they're trying to cover themselves.

Cheryl

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I am so thankful for the NHS, my friend has the mirena and she finds it fine, apart from she gets hot flushes now and again. I had the implanon for 3 years and suffered nothing but misery with it, I had it out in July and then I was so ill, which I discovered that my thyroid had collapsed.
My doctor will now not let me have any form of bc with hormones in, I am still getting my dose of thyroxin correct. I have opted for the copper iud and I must say that so far all is well and I like the natural approach really, it helps me with the other hormone problems I have.
I hope you sort it and I think its silly that if you choose not to have children then why you shouldn't be able to have the bc of your choice, I ahve 3 children and they couldn't wait to "stick me on something
". xx