Use of a credit card?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any credit cards, just my Visa Check card. I use it the same as a credit card. It let me make the reservations for a rental car and hotel when I went to Vegas.

Whenever I am out shopping and use the card, I am asked charge or debit. 9 times out of 10 when it is used as a charge, I have been asked for ID. The only places that I have not been asked for ID is at fastfood places where I don't have to sign and in the cafeteria at work. But then at work, the cashier knows me by name, LOL.

Since I don't have credit cards, I don't have a huge credit card debt. I don't buy unless I have the money in the bank.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to sign for any purchase at my supermarket. I think it's dumb though because couldn't the people just forge the signature on the back of the card?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I no longer sign my cards but write "Ask for ID" where the signature goes. About 10% of stores will actually ask for the ID, and these are not fast food type stores. If I have the time and feeling so inclined that day, I will actually reprimand the clerk who doesn't ask for my ID as a reminder that they should be checking signatures. If they get grumpy back at me, I ask to see their manager and remind them of the need to be secure with cards.

Last year my bank offered to put my picture on the front of the credit card. That gets more attention than the "Ask for ID" ever did. I think all banks should do that.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

what can i say - don't give your cards to someone else?
I agree with this wholeheartedly. There is a problem anyway when someone can't pay for a sanwich at Subway with cash. What a misuse of credit cards.