Urine Stained Fur On 7 Weeks Old Kitten

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted a 7 weeks old, white, female Persian kitten. Her paws, hind legs, a portion of her tail and the upper part of the fur on her body are stained yellow-brown. Her caretaker used to put her in a cage, so she must have walked or rolled around in her own urine at some point. I’m wondering what I should do to remove it. Should I wash her with whitening shampoo or trim the stained portion or should I just let it be? Will it go away on its own? The little kitten isn’t really the best groomer, I even had to clean her little booty myself when she defecated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs might have some suggestions on what to use on a young kitten. Maybe try a dry pet shampoo? Fur will grow back so shaving is an option. I suggest having a groomer or the vet do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs might have some suggestions on what to use on a young kitten. Maybe try a dry pet shampoo? Fur will grow back so shaving is an option. I suggest having a groomer or the vet do this.
Thank you for the response! I’ll try looking for dry shampoos like you suggested. Vet and groomers are pretty pricey so i’ll leave that as my last option :-(

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never used it on a kitten myself, but you can use cornstarch to remove pee stains on fur. You rub that cornstarch into the pee stained fur, let it sit for 10-15 minutes (or however long the kitten will let you), then brush it out, and it should help lift out the stain. You may need to do it a few times, but it will likely be less stressful for everyone involved then a water bath and cheaper then dry shampoo.

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never used it on a kitten myself, but you can use cornstarch to remove pee stains on fur. You rub that cornstarch into the pee stained fur, let it sit for 10-15 minutes (or however long the kitten will let you), then brush it out, and it should help lift out the stain. You may need to do it a few times, but it will likely be less stressful for everyone involved then a water bath and cheaper then dry shampoo.
I’ll try this later. I’ve Googled it and a lot of people said it worked for them. Thank you for suggesting this!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use cornstarch to cover staining at the shows. Truthfully the best thing is to just let it grow out. You can try bathing her with a whitening shampoo (feline friendly of course!) but keep in mind a stain removal product that you use can actually cause future staining. I have never shown a white even though I was offered a beautiful girl by a friend, because they are to much work. Are you sure it is staining? I have never seen a kitten roll in it's own urine, but then she is way to young to know any better. Is she a rescue? 7 weeks is much younger than breeders let kittens go - 12- to 16 weeks is the norm for breeders.

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use cornstarch to cover staining at the shows. Truthfully the best thing is to just let it grow out. You can try bathing her with a whitening shampoo (feline friendly of course!) but keep in mind a stain removal product that you use can actually cause future staining. I have never shown a white even though I was offered a beautiful girl by a friend, because they are to much work. Are you sure it is staining? I have never seen a kitten roll in it's own urine, but then she is way to young to know any better. Is she a rescue? 7 weeks is much younger than breeders let kittens go - 12- to 16 weeks is the norm for breeders.
I offered to take her in when i found out the owner kept her locked up in a cage all day everyday. Says she couldn’t take care of the little kitten because she wasn’t sure what to do with her. I’m pretty sure it’s urine stain because the yellow stain is sort of like streaks or highlights?? Like a bad dye job or something. And the stains on her fur and tail actually smell bad despite washing the area with shampoo. Maybe i’ll just wait for it to grow out cos she is still young. I don’t want to put anything that might be toxic to her. Thank you so much for your response!

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where did the original owner get this kitten? And thank you for taking her in.
I think she has a male adult cat who she offers as stud service. She was given a portion of the litter but she realized she couldn’t take care of the kittenbecause she’s only ever taken care of an adult cat before. I think she’s more “business-minded”. Her male Persian is locked up in a cage as well, comes out at least once a day to get manually groomed or if someone avails of the stud service. Poor thing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a "backyard breeder" who is just interested in the money, not in the well being of the cats. If you feel that her adults cats aren't well taken care of, you can submit an anonymous report with animal control or the local SPCA or Human Society animal law enforcement. They'll do a check of the home and cats and take whatever action is needed.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that an anonymous report would be well-deserved here, as well as one for the breeders she works with. No kittens should be given away that young... Thank you for taking this kitten in.

Fat Felix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions, guys. I’ve spoken to a friend about it and she told me some of the vets are planning to do something about the likes of her. Hopefully they get sanctioned or something.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saving Grace
This may help if you are willing to bathe her. I have never used this particular shampoo, but I do use several others made by this manufacturer and love the results. I ran across this when I was shopping for the shampoos I use for my cats.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions, guys. I’ve spoken to a friend about it and she told me some of the vets are planning to do something about the likes of her. Hopefully they get sanctioned or something.
Ah. In that case, you might want to share your feedback with the vets.