Urine retention due to broken tail

karmakat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi DiMa
that does give me hope, do you know any more details ie. how many sessions of acupuncture were involved, time span etc.. If only Lenny could pee for himself i would be ecstatic and i have read that accupunture can help with urine retention. One vet was even suggesting looking into implanting electrodes to stimulate his bladder remotely but it is a procedure that has its drawbacks ie. anchoring the electrodes and he doesnt know of any one else who has tried it!

I dont really know what are encouraging signs with this condition, he was passing faeces in his litter tray tonight and covering them up..i just need him to respond to the urge to pee..if he is even getting that message.

Any encouragement / thoughts would be gratefully received

Karmakat x

dima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know how long it too, really
And the kitty's mommy has moved away recently so I can't ask, sorry. But I know it did work. Sorry I can't give you more info than that, though. Have you googled this?

karmakat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lenny had his 1st acupuncture session today...lasted about 10-15 mins and apparently he was very good..they hope to give him a session every week..but little has changed in the past few weeks so i am losing my optimism..he is lively and eating well but still wont pee for himself..i think this will be his last hope..
anyone else have experience of this treatment?
please post any examples and positive stories!!

karmakat

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Karmakat, as you might have seen from Spike and Chris' posts, it is possible to learn how to express Lenny's bladder yourself, at home. As you said he is bright, lively and eating well so, in my eyes, there is no need to give up hope with him.

tarzan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by karmakat

Lenny had his 1st acupuncture session today...lasted about 10-15 mins and apparently he was very good..they hope to give him a session every week..but little has changed in the past few weeks so i am losing my optimism..he is lively and eating well but still wont pee for himself..i think this will be his last hope..
anyone else have experience of this treatment?
please post any examples and positive stories!!

karmakat
Sorry about the lack of recovery. I'm sure it must be difficult not knowing if your baby will be okay. If I were you I would stick it out as long as possible. That way you can honestly say to yourself that you did all that you could possible do. 6 months seems to be the amount of time that all the professionals say.
Tarzan recovered well. He is already outside raising havack with the birds and squirels. It took him about 3 months to fully recover. He still has scars from his injury but "hey, they look cool"
However for some reason he will wet on anything, I'm not sure if it is becasue he is angry at me for making him stay indoors for 3 months or if he wants me to see his progress. Any way he gets to go outside to perform his progress now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spike

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First i am very sorry i havent replied up until now. as this is the first time i have logged into this site since i posted about Max.

Secondly Max is going wonderfully well, after all this time.. he had gone back for a check each year.. the vet is amazed and very excited that i still express him and how nothing is wrong with him and he is in perfect health.. glossy coat.. bright eyes.. good appetite.. etc

He still hasnt regained function of either bladder or bowel, but he does now try to go to the toilet. and semi express himself, by licking; as a mother cat would do to her kittens.

I still express him most every day.. but i find he has done it himself.. and i help him along when he looks a bit 'full'

dont despair.. they do get used to the expressing .. sometimes Max purrs as i am doing it.

Btw i express him directly into the toilet.. helps alot, (like a bagpipe) put him backwards under my right arm. push down on his lower back with my left hand.. and with my right hand i squeeze his bladder... the bowels usually move with that as well...

and I have gained another cat too.. she belonged to my next door neighbour who moved and couldnt have animals.. they play and chase each other.. and have the occassional spat.. but it is all good

cheers.. goodluck with your feline family

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You deserve a tremendous amount of credit for all that you have done and continue to do for Max. He is so lucky to have you in his life!