Urine PH imbalance in cats fed raw meat diet

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand cats that eat raw meat diet produces slightly acidic urine compared to ones whose primarily diet consists of grains and carbs.
Both our cats have ph level of 7.0 even though they have been fed protein rich diet. How could this happen?
Currently, they eat one or two meals a day, and I've learned that increasing the number of meals they eat throughout the day could decrease the ph level.
I also use ph 7.1 bottled water to make their food and in their water bowls, but I doubt this is the cause of their alkaline urine. Besides, they hardly drink water from the bowls. They don't have UTI or crystals, and hyperthyroidism is unlikely.
I will ask the vet on Monday but wanted to gather as much information before we walk in.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a very complicated question to answer and allot more information is needed.

What is your concern with the pH? Have your cats had problems in the past? What were those problems and how were they treated? What is the age of your cats? Male? Female? Breed? Why do you give the pH 7.1 bottled water? What is the specific gravity of the urine? How are they currently doing? How do you know what the urine pH is? If getting tested at the Vet, how long has the urine been sitting around before going to the vet and do they read it immediately?

I have posted a link below that might give you some insight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might help to reference your previous thread, which answers some of the questions above and may shed some additional light for those who read this thread, so I have included it here: Test results on cats fed diet high in protein | TheCatSite
In this previous thread, you did mention a prior diagnosis of FLUTD for one of your cats, so adding any information about that might help as well.

Elidaserena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am chiming in with my own concerns. I have a 2 year old Egyptian mau/Maine coon mix. Male, neutered at 7 months old.
Showed first signs of urinary distress at 3 to 4 months of age. I got him around 2 months and immediately started him on raw with recipes formulated by perfectly Rawsome and whole prey animals like mice, quail, chickens.
Recently he was at the vet for the 3rd time in his life for urinary issues.
He showed crystals but no bacteria present. The vet said he had a high ph but hasn't gotten back to me with any more details, though I've reached out a few times.
He gets water in his food from a zero water filter for 0 dissolved solids. I provide fountains with the same water which also have their own charcoal filters.
I use adored beasts easy peesy protocol, though I slacked off recently for a few months due to my own issues of being overwhelmed.
He is fed the prescription diet at each acute incident but I go back to raw when it seems to pass.
I think he has never truly had the issues resolved and has been experiencing a reassurance of the original incident that I believe he came to me with. He was on kibble at his original residence.
My question is, what I'm reading about high ph in felines has to do with grain or carb heavy diets. He does not get those. While I'm learning towards anxiety being the culprit.
What other things should I be on the lookout for?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Elidaserena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: I received the test results from the vet, His PH was 9, specific gravity was 1.050, no bacteria present (2 tests were ran to confirm this) struvite crystals found at 6-20/HPF, same as "unclassified crystals". Since I collected the sample at home with a pipette, I have a nagging wonder if some of the cat litter was present. I'm sure the machine used for testing is able to sort that out but I still wonder. I have a checkup scheduled and will do a sterile draw at the vet in a month.

I am chiming in with my own concerns. I have a 2 year old Egyptian mau/Maine coon mix. Male, neutered at 7 months old.
Showed first signs of urinary distress at 3 to 4 months of age. I got him around 2 months and immediately started him on raw with recipes formulated by perfectly Rawsome and whole prey animals like mice, quail, chickens.
Recently he was at the vet for the 3rd time in his life for urinary issues.
He showed crystals but no bacteria present. The vet said he had a high ph but hasn't gotten back to me with any more details, though I've reached out a few times.
He gets water in his food from a zero water filter for 0 dissolved solids. I provide fountains with the same water which also have their own charcoal filters.
I use adored beasts easy peesy protocol, though I slacked off recently for a few months due to my own issues of being overwhelmed.
He is fed the prescription diet at each acute incident but I go back to raw when it seems to pass.
I think he has never truly had the issues resolved and has been experiencing a reassurance of the original incident that I believe he came to me with. He was on kibble at his original residence.
My question is, what I'm reading about high ph in felines has to do with grain or carb heavy diets. He does not get those. While I'm learning towards anxiety being the culprit.
What other things should I be on the lookout for?

Elidaserena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I just recently came across an article that might help (see link below). It appears to be all about alkaline urine PH. Follow it through, but the bottom line might be Ammonium chloride as an additive. At a minimum, ask your vet about this,
Why Is My Cat's Urine Alkaline? The Causes of High pH in Felines - Cat Lovers Hub (catloverhub.org)
Hello, thank you. I did find that sodium bisulfate as well as ammonium chloride work to acidify urine. I haven't been able to find those online to purchase. I have gotten some soothing herbs as well as tryptophan to aid in mitigating the stress levels. Unfortunately, since returning from the vet his relationship with his closest buddy hasn't been very great. The other cat being very standoffish and defensive. So, more stress in the environment.