Urine Or Discharge?

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Luna is expected to have kittens this weekend. Much to my personal frustration, she wasn't taken to the vet when I was told so we didn't get any confirmation or check ups (my partner was responsible for it and failed to). I have been pushing for this throughout the whole possible pregnancy and can't take her myself.

For a long time as a kitten before getting pregnant, she had issues with her litter box and going where she shouldn't but we fixed that as it was purely behavioral and she was cleared for UTI/infections. After months of not doing that, right now she keeps going into sinks/tubs/bowls and her litterbox and leaves quarter to half dollar sized puddles that are clear-very pale yellow with a tinge of pink in the middle. It's never more than that. When she goes, it looks like she's straining/pushing.

My partner's parents believe that it's her urinating but due to it coinciding with her possible due date I'm afraid it's fluid or a possibly UTI. She wasn't hadn't this issue before two days ago, and hasn't been acting strangely outside of cleaning herself around her vagina which can be a sign of both pregnancy and UTI. She's been very cuddly and affectionate balanced with restlessness usually meowing when she jumps up with me. She's typically very active but has been laying about on her side and sleeping more often. When she's moving about between naps she isn't lethargic. She's also exclusively an indoor cat so she hasn't been exposed to anything atypical. She primarily eats dry food but I've been integrating wet foods into her diet.

My partner is currently at work and I cannot leave to take her to the emergency vet but we will be going when he is out of work at 5. I just figure I need some clarity on the possibilities of what it is and what's normal to see or if there is anything I can do to help while he's at work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, she has fully urinated several times in her box over the course of the past few days which is normal for her and she hasn't had any blood in it or on top of the litter.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When cats pee inappropriately with straining and small puddles with pink, it is signs of a UTI.

She will need an antibiotic to clear it up. If she is in pain she may also benefit from an anti-flammatory as well for a day or two.

She needs to be on a mostly wet food diet - 80/20. She needs more fluids.

Do get her to the vet asap. I hope she gets relief before the kittens get here. UTI's are miserable. :(

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what I was worried about. When my partner and I moved out of our apartment and she stayed at their house, thats when she started the free feed, mostly dry food diet. I've been slowly integrating it back now that I live here but she isn't interested in it even when I set times for her to eat. She just won't until I set out dry food. The only "wet" thing she'll eat is tuna but it's not gonna give her what wet food will provide. She doesn't like it mixed with dry food, or on its own. I'm unsure of what to do especially with her being pregnant.

Fingers crossed that she's okay. I'm glad that's she's finally being taken to the vet, even if it's not under the greatest circumstances. This is thankfully a newer thing so it will hopefully clear up asap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would give her tuna and tuna water for the moisture and protein since she likes it.

She'll get the taurine and other nutrients from the dry food. :)

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahhh thank you!! That makes me feel relieved! She does drink water often (even with her own designated cup at the sink) but I'm afraid it's too often for her own good and a sign of how little she gets from her dry food.

My friend may be able to take me to the vet sooner than so crossing my fingers that happens! Will keep updated if wanted :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would she eat the wet food with a Tablespoon of tuna juice poured over it? My cats know that they have to eat their wet food first. I set out the dry food an hour later.

lilacluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update time:

Luna was not pregnant! When she was taken into the ER she got an ultrasound to see if she was but instead they found that she had stones in her bladder and minerals. We had the option of getting an X-ray done then or calling her vet for an appointment for a cheaper X-ray since she was stable at the time. They prescribed her buprenorphine for pain until then.

What I am nervous about is that she gets super sleepy from the meds and is breathing very fast with her belly. I'm afraid I might have to take her back in tonight since these symptoms appeared last night into this morning.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds llke she needs treatment for her actual problem - the kidney stones - as soon as possible.

How much buprenorphine is she on?