urine odor outside has come indoors

erica69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend's bedroom is on the ground floor of his house and there's a small courtyard with an area of soil just outside the room's glass sliding doors. Feral cats have been using the dirt, and perhaps even the paved area, for a litter box. or maybe they've been spraying. either way, the smell has permeated the room even though we never open the sliding doors. and with the recent humid, hot weather, it's even worse. the bf has put gravel/stones all over the dirt to discourage cats from continuing to "visit" the area, but i'd love some specific product suggestions and methods for getting rid of the smell...it's really bad. there are so many products out there, but i really want to get this right the first time.
thanks!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest Nature's Miracle or NokOut. Both are enzyme cleaners and fairly expensive. I hope others can come up with cheaper/more effective things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erica69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the suggestion! i bought nature's miracle for my place when my cat was peeing on things, and unfortunately it doesn't work. i've seen a lot of other posts saying the same thing. maybe some of us should write the company. anyway, i'll check out NokOut. I want to get rid of the smell but don't want to stain the white stones that have been put down. (8 bags, 40lbs each. ack.)
-erica

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thanks for the suggestion! i bought nature's miracle for my place when my cat was peeing on things, and unfortunately it doesn't work. i've seen a lot of other posts saying the same thing. maybe some of us should write the company. anyway, i'll check out NokOut. I want to get rid of the smell but don't want to stain the white stones that have been put down. (8 bags, 40lbs each. ack.)
-erica
I have never had any problem with Nature's Miracle. I wonder what the reason for that is?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy on Animal Planet recommends a carbon dioxide cleaner called Fizzion.  I hadn't tried it but I know it has gotten good reviews.  You mix it up fresh by adding water to a tablet.  I know in this area it's sold at Kroger which is one of the big supermarket chains.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erica69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks so much for the suggestions! i'm glad nature's miracle has worked for some. i know a lot of people must have good luck with the product because it comes recommended a lot. i have no idea why it hasn't worked for me (or some others). something specific about my cat's urine? well, thank goodness for multiple options!