Urine Crystals, Blockages And Everything Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cat Gus and I are on a very rocky road. On 12/23/2017 I noticed Gus was acting odd just before noon; he was trying to pee on the couch. I followed him around the house for a while and started calling the vets in the area trying to catch one before they closed for the long holiday weekend.
I was lucky and a vet stayed open to see us; Gus was completely blocked but the x-rays showed no bladder stones. Gus stayed at the vet's all weekend and did not reblock. We picked him up on Tuesday and left with a prescription food but the vet gave us a hard food. I took him to my normal vet that Friday. She did an ultrasound while she was testing his urine and said his bladder looked like a snow globe. I got prescription canned food for him and more antibiotics; the plan was to check him in 2 weeks to see if the crystals had dissolved. The next day he was blocked again; this time my vet flushed his bladder out a couple times and we talked about doing a PU surgery if it happened again.
This time we made it almost 3 weeks before he blocked again and I had to rush him to the emergency vet on a Sunday. I made and appointment with my normal vet to have the PU surgery for that Thursday; he blocked again before we could. Fortunately, we were able to do the surgery as planned.
After the surgery, my vet was concerned about stricturing and saw him every day to check. Gus actually did well while healing he hated the cone and liked to throw the litter around. Once the stitches were removed and Gus was released from his room he was a ball of energy.
A week later Gus started struggling to pee again and was only going in small amounts. So we took him back in; he was blocked again. The vet gave us 3 options; the first was to try to run a catheter and keep him for about a week with it in. If she couldn't run the catheter the only other options were another surgery which had very little chance of success or to let him go. I decided that we should try the catheter first before we made the final decision; after all Gus is a young fit cat with no other health problems.
Fortunately, the catheter worked even though there was a small tear in his eurthra. The vet says that he has a horrible UTI and that could have caused the blockage. To be honest and I hope I'm wrong I think we may have just bought him a little time; but not much.
I have gone through so many forums and articles about the PU surgery, crystals, UTI's, and the possibility of FLUTD/ FIC.
My vet mentioned that she see's more cats on a Blue Buffalo diet with this issue than anything else. Gus is still on a canned prescription diet that I water down with drinking water and I've started making cat food for everyone else (with vitamin supliments). We have a water fountain for them and have started filling it with bottled water because the tap water is hard.
I would appreciate hearing others stories and seeing if anyone has any pointers.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I want to wish you and Gus a very warm welcome to TCS, although I wish it were not under such dire circumstances. :hugs: You and he have really been through the ringer - he's lucky to have someone who takes such good care of him and loves him so much. :petcat:

Before writing anything else, I want to let you know that I don't have personal experience caring for a male cat with Gus's issues so I'm going to put out a call for help from some people who do. I didn't want you to feel ignored, though and I do have a couple of points I wanted to clarify with you.

Is Gus still being treated for the UTI? If he's still having problems with it, ask the vet if she cultured the urine to identify what bacteria are involved. A urine culture eliminates the trial and error method of prescribing an antibiotic since once the pathogen is identified, an antibiotic can be chosen that has proven efficacy against that particular species.

It seems to me that it would be very helpful to know if the modifications you have made with his diet and water intake have the crystals under control. An ultrasound and urinalysis would let you know if your approach is working and might give you some peace of mind.

I wish I could be more help but hopefully you'll get some feedback soon from people who can offer you the pointers and tips that you're looking for. And, once again,

imagesWelcome Cat.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did find that UTIs are common following the surgery. I guess that stands to reason, when the area has been invaded in such a way. I'm also wondering if a culture was done. And, like margd margd , although I have no direct experience, I want to welcome you and assure you that you are not alone anymore!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus has had so many procedures in such a short time I'm not sure what the vet's checked to see what type of bacteria it is. I do know we talked about sending his urine aways to see what type of crystals he has if he has another issue; we didn't this time because the vet said the uti may mess with the results. Gus is still at the vet and will be there until Saturday maybe. The concern is whether the uti caused the crystals or the othr way around. When Gus got the UTI he hadn't been off of 2 different ani-biotics for a week, and was completly obstructed with a crystal the size of a pea.
I'm hoping he doesn't get blocked again anytime soon. Since this started we've spend about $5000 on him, and we are running out of funds to carry on. More than the money though I am worried about his quality of life.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his heart. I dont have experience with this either, but i am sending you guys positive thoughts and prayers.

I know some say they have wonderful results with prescription foods, and most say that wet food helps a lot. not to feed dry. I think there are a few different types of stones so the food for one type is different than the food for the other type. Hopefully your vet can help you out with this part.

Im sure others on the forum that have experience will chime in.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats have PU surgery in May. It was a long process. After the surgery we made many trips to the Emergency vet late at night because he was struggling to pee. He was not blocked, but he was either in pain or mentally he was worried about pain. He had been taking buprenex, but it was not doing enough. The emergency vet we saw, decided to try gabapentin. It is being used off label to help relax cats in stressful situations. It worked like a charm. He was on it for about 2 weeks. Then we weaned him off. So far he has been fine.

I no longer feed any dry food. I had switched to home cooking about 2 months before his blockage. I continue with the home cooking and add additional water to each feeding. I also use a cranberry supplement that I sprinkle onto his food. So far so good.

This can be a huge nightmare of an issue. I might also suggest a second opinion from another vet if your current vet seems out of options.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus came home today! He and his buddy Blue are thrilled to be back together. He is still on antibiotics, and they switched his canned food from science diet c/d to royal canin so which he seems to like better. He has a check up on Tuesday, hopefully nothing will come up until then. My vet has been great and has even given me daily updates while he was staying there. If he gets blocked again we are going to send off a sample to see what type of crystals he has and make a decision based on the results; until then we are just enjoying him and making his life as happy as possible.

20180217_154959.jpg

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus had an appointment today that went pretty good. My vet has been absolutely amazing they have been treating him pretty much at cost. The vet believes that Gus does have FLUTD/ FIC which really really sucks, but is not surprising. Right now the game plan is to give him the best quality of life as possible, and when that's no longer an option then we will do whats best for him then.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you are getting great support from your vet! Hopefully he will have a nice long time, with good health. Keep us updated. Sending positive thoughts your way!:catrub:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's a candle to hoping that your vet might be wrong, but regardless, I know you will do what is in his best interest! My heart is with yours.

000000000000000.jpg

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Gus has been doing great, yesterday was the last day of antibiotics so we'll get a better idea of how he's really doing soon. But he's gained weight and is acting like his normal pesky self. My overweight female cat started using the counter as her litter box again... so off to the vet we went. She has struvite crystals with a high ph. She has fewer and smaller crystals then Gus. We decided to send them off to have them tested and see what type of crystals they are. Sophies not in any danger but she got an antibiotic and gets to share Gus's prescription food.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us posted! So far, so good, although I HATE that your girl is having issues, as well!

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday Gus started struggling to urinate again. :( He was still going a little but he was also going around the house trying. We took him to the vet again and at least this time he wasn't blocked and didn't have a UTI however, it appears that he has strictured. They could not even get a catheter in him today. The vet was able to manually empty his bladder. Tomorrow the vet and I are going to talk and make a decision. We can have another surgery that is pretty much the corrective pu surgery with a 50/50 chance of success or we can let him go. The vet is offering to do the surgery at cost so at least we can afford it. We are split in our decision because we don't want him to suffer but we want to give him every chance possible.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I hate that! I am so sorry. BUT...there are a good many cats here who have had the pu surgery, as well as others I've known who had it. Now, each case is different, but almost ALL of the cats I know of have had significant improvement in their quality of life.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gus is going to have surgery before the weekend. Hopefully this time will go better, the vet is great and everyone there loves Gus and is rooting for him; but she did let us know that if this fails there are no other options.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No he is on a prescription canned diet, we have several fountains around the house and in case the hard water had an effect we have only been using bottled water. We also have a couple comfort zone feliway diffusers in case he is triggered by stress.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry that it didn't work. I felt sure that it would. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be sure to update us post-surgery! We're going to be fretting about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.