Urination problems??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some updates:

I administered Jade's meds in the corner of his mouth this evening, little by little and kept his head up. I also stroked his throat and told him what a good boy he was, lol. He's such a mellow and calm cat, it's great. Even the vets loved him.

He took ALL his meds, nothing spit out, I'm so glad! He seems to be doing well with Clavamox. No reactions, nothing. Although he did use the box a lot today, I'm hoping that will diminish drastically tomorrow. I understand it may take a few days for the meds to really kick in and heal it up. But I've been keeping him in my room to rest and relax with a litter box. He's active, but I can tell he's not all feeling great, lol. He's been 'lying' around a lot, lol.

I also notice he has not been drinking much water, I have been in my room cleaning most of the day so I've been watching him closely.

I saw him drink some this morning and I change his water twice a day, but I will consider a fountain for sure. I am flat broke right now! So, I added some hot water to some dry food to soften it up a bit and when it was warm enough, fed it to him. I don't think he cares for the food or he's not feeling well because he eats like a piggy, lol. He perks up when it's time to eat and cries like he never eats, lol.

But with the water in his food, I figured at least he'd get some fluids this way. He ate the whole thing, which is great...so I will continue to add some warm water to his food every day and will also add some canned food to his diet as well. a quarter can in the morning mixed with some dry and a quater at night. I won't give it every night, but a few nights a week.

I have a veterinary manual that I found in the attic and it states to add a little salt to the food, but too much can cause diarrhea. Another remedy was to add wet food or add some milk, but I know dairy is not good for cats. Another person told me to give the cranberry supplements as it worked wonders for her cat and she feeds him this food ONLY and he's been UTI free ever since, but I will get in touch with Sharky:

http://us.eukanuba.com/eukanuba/en_U...ID=PRDC&PID=58

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The same thing happened to my cat just not too long ago. He would squat for a long time and only a drop comes out. We took him to the vet a 4 hours after. He was on Amoxycillin and some other type of medicine (pill form). My boyfriend and I were waiting so anxiously for the meds to kick in. Finally, 2 days later, he pee'd more. Now, he's back to his old self.

Our cats are on an all dry food diet. To get more water into their system, we got a cat water fountain. We are also deciding the right wet food for them, because I am really contemplating giving them a mixture of dry and wet food.

for your cat to get well soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aja

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG I got SO busy and side-tracked I forgot about this until now. (I know, I'm terrible, lol)

Well, Jade was much better within a few days. He's been doing great ever since. I feed him Pro Plan UT Health. He's okay with it, but eats it because he has no choice, lol! It was the only brand of food I could afford and it lasts a while since he's the only one that eats it, lol.

Anyways, I want to thank EVERYONE SO MUCH for ALL of their advice and help in this! I really do appreciate it very much and I'm really sorry I didn't come here sooner to thank you all. I will try and come around more often, I'm in college so I'm SO busy with that.

Again, THANKS!!!!!!!!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad he is doing better, although you might want to increase his wet food to avoid this happening again, and cranberry can work wonders. Also, please dont ever try to feel your cats bladder yourself, if you do it wrong, you can rupture their bladder. You can try different things to increase water consumption, sometimes they just need a different bowl, or in a different place (they dont like drinking next to where they eat), but if you continue to feed dry only and he doens't drink a lot, this will keep happening.