Urination Problem/Behavior Issue?

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently Gypsy has been urinating outside her litter box. I know her triggers - cardboard on the floor, a rumbled blanket in the corner, the plastic underside of a bath rug... and I avoid leaving those things around for her (my house is typically tidy but boy oh boy is it ever straight now!)

A few weeks ago she peed in her window bed and it trickled down to the carpeting. I have the "Ewwwwww" spray from Petsmart and I adore it. No odor unless I literally bury my nose in the rug.

The past two mornings I've woken to cat urine on the SOFA. The only time she'd done this in the past was when my son had locked her out from the laundry room where her litter box is. Yesterday when I saw the urine I cleaned her litter box, a full change. I add the cat attract powder to her box - better safe than sorry. No changes in her cat litter. However, this morning I woke to MORE urine on the sofa and my sons sheeting also had an odor!! I'm getting really upset. This is now what I'd consider to be an on going issue with Gypsy. She's peed on my son before ( a few times - he'll be sitting watching cartoons and she pees). I'm really at my witts end. I've tried the tricks. Calming aromas. I have a fountain for her water. She gets TONS of attention and is so well loved. I'm at the point where I feel like she needs to be returned to the shelter I adopted her from (and the ONLY reason I consider that is because it is a no kill).

It isn't a urinary problem. She's been tested before and the urination outside the box is on going. She's playful. VERY active. If I have to take her to the vet again. Our family is going away on vacation for a few days and I am so worried what she will do to the house while we're away and the neighbor is coming to feed/play with her. I can't expect my friend to be scrubbing cat pee from the sofa/carpets/rugs...

Advice please?!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some basics needed here
Covered or uncovered box?
Clumping clay natural...? exactley what litter is being used?

Have you ever seen her pee-is it squating or shes peeing while laying down and unaware(good way I have found is is the cats butt wet and urine smell).
I would try to find a way to board her while you vacation. Also even if a shelter is no kill look closely alot state if medical issues arrise or its deamed unstable(after being caged-majority might be cage free but they may keep her away so not to upset the others) May want to call them up to clarify was there any paperwork turned in with her/old vet name/what their euth policy is for this sort of issue. If you return her TELL them the reason as the next adopter may just dump her. Also does she have her tail? any trauma there on up can sometimes cause issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been on the same litter since adoption a few months ago. Clumping clay litter. Tried her with feline pine but that made a mess through the house. She squats to pee, no urine in her fur. Gypsy was found on the side of the road so no doccumentation on her. I did email the shelter and expressed my concerns.

Just spoke with the hubby. He wants me to wait until he moves home to decide what to do with the cat.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How recently has she been tested for UTI? It can crop up overnight.

I would start there. If nothing, I'd change litters.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning. If she does have a UTI and ends up on medication this is going to prevent me from going to see my husband graduate from his officer training. This is really a let down. I've just had it with the peeing. If it is just a behavior issue I won't have anything else to do. She's been on the same litter since we brought her home. She is using the box!!! She just pees at night on the sofa or other places that interest her.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many boxes do you have - some cats simply don't like to go in a somewhat used box - my boy, for example. Even for a single cat, it's good to have two boxes, scooped at least twice a day. And, have you tried Cat Attract litter? And enzyme cleaners on the accident spots? Also, a lot of vets and behaviorists will describe 'retraining' - basically, keeping the cat in a smallish room til they're reliably using the box (assuming there's no physical issue). Also, and i know from experience it's tough - cats definitely pick up when you're upset - and it's hard not to be upset about litter box issues.

Maybe ask the vet about boarding, or having a vet tech come in to feed and check her.

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've used the cat attract litter but now just add the cat attract powder to her other litter. It's more cost effective for us. She typically uses the box, as I said - it's just at night that she's been having accidents.

She knew she'd done wrong. She saw me see the urine and she ran.

We currently only have one litter box for her. We don't have space for a second. I clean the box each morning but I'll start doing it at night as well.

We use the 'Ewww' enzyme cleaner from Bissel and I have a Bissel steam cleaner for the rug that I use with a pet odor cleaner.

We'll see what the vet says. And I did just speak with a neighbor and she's more than willing to give Gypsy medication if this does end up being an infection.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How longs husband been gone? Even if she does have a uti that is easily solved in more cases then not and why would you have to miss graduation-find a place who can board her and give pills. In home may be more stress as If its related to husband leaving you leaving may cause more issues to and it may be harder to pill her if shes got so many places to hide

If its ONLY at night I would look into is anything freaking her out to point she cant use it-other cats/dogs/outside influence. lack of light, one bad experience can lead to avoidal try for now a box in living room to see if that solves it.

UTI are painful. its not just a little pain-it could feel like peeing out glass to the cat. How much attention does she get normally-petting/brushing and playing? has that been affected? Anyone else in house-kids starting to walk neighbors over?

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby has been gone since October. Comes home once a month for a weekend.

I'll be gone 1-2 nights tops. I already found a neighbor that will watch give her the medication should she need it. Since last post she has urinated on the sofa twice. I have enclosed her in the laundry room where her litter box is and I placed her food and the water fountain on a shelf in the room with her. The moment she was in the laundry room she went into her box and urinated again.

Unfortunatly now a section of my sofa is ruined because she 'went' on the foam insert of a cushion she'd previously gone on and I was in the process of washing the covering. I press on the cushion and it is just saturated with urine. Going to have to find some new foam.

My son has been walking since before we got Gypsy. She does well with the other kids and just avoids them when she's sick of them being around her. Nothing has changed drastically in the home to cause her increased stress. My son plays with her constantly with one of the cat teaser toys. They play chase one another and she tackles him. She's very affectionate and playful typically. Over all she's a great addition to the family. I do hope this is medical and not a behavior issue.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ali012281

Hubby has been gone since October. Comes home once a month for a weekend.

I'll be gone 1-2 nights tops. I already found a neighbor that will watch give her the medication should she need it. Since last post she has urinated on the sofa twice. I have enclosed her in the laundry room where her litter box is and I placed her food and the water fountain on a shelf in the room with her. The moment she was in the laundry room she went into her box and urinated again.

Urinating this often is not normal, definitely indicates a problem. If she has an infection, or crystals in her urine, it feels like she has to pee all the time, so she is always trying to pee. If it hurts, she will blame the litter box and try peeing on soft things (such as the couch)

Glad you are getting her in to the vet. They can do a quick urinalysis to check things, but I recommend you also have them send the pee out for a urine culture to check for crystals, and what kind of crystals and so on.

That's wonderful that your neighbor is willing to help out. Please keep us posted on Gypsy, and congratulations to your husband on finishing his officer's training!

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gypsy goes to a feline specalist so I have my fingers crossed that he'll be able to figure things out and know exactly what to do.

I've been so frustrated today I was at the point of calling it quits. I know it's the anger talking and the fact that I'm doing this alone with a cranky two year old underfoot.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I can see how your patience would be worn a little thin when you've got so much on your plate, but it's clear underneath you know you can cope. Hang in there!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have plenty of cats I gave up on a sofa years ago...we have futons encased in full size matress protectors(zippered vinyl all around and then another full size matress pad on top then the cover.
Asked about husband as be sure to mention to vet as stress makes things worse. It may be a part of her diagnoses/rehab plan

Also be aware if crystals are found and this was a male cat it very well could have cost the cat its life as they block easier do to the physical features:S

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the vet. There was blood in Gypsy's urine and she's now on a medication for a few days. We're working with it as a behavioral issue as well and I cleaned her litter box and put plain litter in it (no cat attract additive). She's going to be spending a few days in the laundry room per the vet's reccomendation.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope the meds work well - my boy had some box issues; turns out he was developing struvite crystals. I was fortunate - a course of antibiotics and, in his case, prescription food, and so far, he's back in the box. Looking back, I wonder if maybe his bladder had been irritated on occasion when there were accidents, and I thought they were more behavioral, since he'd be using the box most of the time.

Sometimes cats will be afraid of their old boxes, or the old locations, because they'll blame the box, or the litter, or the pain. In my case, I got some spanking new boxes (cheap ones), moved a couple around a few feet and stuck with Cat Attract. Knock wood, it worked.

You poor thing - it really is tough to keep your temper in this situation - and you had more than enough on your plate. Bless you for having her checked out, and for trying so hard.