Urination issues

Cobra1587

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is having some strange issues, shes a tabby about 7-8 years old who over the past 6 mo has started going to the box more frequently. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, still her energetic self, seemingly no abdominal pain, eats and drinks regularly and appears normal otherwise. However, a few weeks ago she pee'd in the bathtub and I noticed it was very dark orange. And a week later, pee'd just outside her box a more red color. She still seems to be acting like her normal self. I understand UTI's can be an issue, but other than the darker urine, and frequency, she doesn't seem to be exhibiting any other symptoms (lethargy, pain when urinating, dehydrated etc) I have been keeping a close eye on her, and other than the frequent box trips and occasional outside box urination, she acts and appears fine under physical examination. Any other ideas as to what could be going on? I think I may switch her over to a wet food, just in the off chance dry food as of late as started irritating her insides, as well as maybe incorporating some ACV just to clear anything out that may be present. Sorry if I sound like a novice, I'm not a cat person, she just started hanging around and I have accepted her as part of the family now, been watching over her the last few years. Thank you for your knowledge and input.

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This issue needs to be addressed by a vet. By the color of her urine, she could have a urinary tract infection or something worse. Please make an appointment ASAP for your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cobra1587

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UTIs can last for months? Are there home remedies for UTIs?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a lot of experiences with UTIs, but it would be best to get the cat to a qualified vet for treatment. If there are stones or crystals (not overly common in females, but females can still get them), it can lead to a blockage which could result in death. The pain of urinating can cause litter box aversion which is the cause of kitties urinating outside the box. There are no home remedies that I know of. Your cat needs a urinalysis to determine what's going on and to get the necessary medications.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My cat had a bout of back-to-back UTIs - she exhibited no signs other than more frequent urination and a couple of times of peeing over the edge of the box. I don't recall dark urine, but then she didn't pee on a surface that would have necessarily shown that. If your cat has not been treated in the past for a UTI, then I am not sure it could last very long before causing other issues. But, the dark urine could also be an indicator of some form of kidney issue.

There are no home remedies for an actual UTI because it is an infection which has to be treated with antibiotics. If you are able to get a sterile sample of her urine, you can take that to the vet for testing without having to take her - but, it would have to be sterile to be viable for urinalysis/urine culture. And, you would need to call the vet to ensure they will accept a sample you would bring in without your cat. Some people have had success actually holding a sterile large spoon or dish under their cat's stream. The other option is to use a thoroughly clean litter box, and use the pellet crystals that don't absorb urine, then use a syringe to collect the urine and place into a sterile container. The sample can be refrigerated for a few hours if you can't get it to the vet right away. You may be able to find a urine collection kit in a local pet store, or order one online via Chewy.com or Amazon.com.

1591818526746.png

However, it would probably be best to take your cat into the vet, as they might also want to do blood work to see if any kidney issues show up.

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Need to get to the vet asap. Could be anything from a UTI to kidney infection or worse the longer left untreated the more chance of sever infection or possiable orgain failure. The only treatment is medication from a vet. Please do not try over the counter meds on your cat. Cats react to OTC meds very differently then dogs and most OTC meds can and will kill your cat. As for no signs I would say there are plenty of signs, dark urine, peeing in the tub or out of the box (biggest sign) and frequent trips to the litterbox...she may not even be peeing but be having the urge..Vet asap.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say yes a vet visit check for a UTI, kidney issues and diabetes. That's the main thing you have to do. UTIs arent pleasant and do not go away. If its kidney disease wet food will help that are low in phosphorous, diabetes might need insulin.