Urinating/spraying outside the litter box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qiqimoomoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The conversation with the Toronto Cat Rescue volunteer went really well. She was super kind, understanding and listened to all I had to say and answered all questions she could. 

We have been in touch through email since our conversation. She submitted the form and the organization has decided the same thing that we discussed over the phone which is to have them moved to a foster home to address any behavioral issues before they are adopted to a new home. 

I have been keeping notes over the last week or so about their personalities, behaviors, likes/dislikes...pretty much everything about them and I intend to compile that into an accessible document, which can hopefully help with the transition and help the foster understand them better. 

I just got an email this morning from the volunteer that once they have a vet checkup and vaccinations updated (which we talked about) they will be ready to move to a foster. 

I don't think it's fully hit me yet, I don't think it will until I finally let them go and I come home and they are not here to greet me, or I go to sleep and they are not on the bed with me, or sitting by the window looking out, or playing with each other loudly. 

I really am truly devastated and feel so much grief and sadness. I still feel a lot of regret, guilt and even indecision at times. It really is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. And I think I will feel even more when I have to bring them to Toronto and drop them to the foster, come home and not have them here. I honestly don't know how I am going to cope. We have been together, so close, every day for 5 years (they will have their 5th birthday on November 17th). 

At the same time, I feel it is necessary based on the current circumstances and will (I hope and pray) be best for them in the long run. I worry and fear that they will be scared, confused and also mourn and grieve the loss of me considering we have been so close, especially Qi. I'm worried that they will think I left them but I don't think they have the consciousness or ability to even think those things but they may be confused or scared for a bit...

The rescue volunteer said cats are amazing at adapting and are very resilient. And often times, humans think want to believe that their cats will miss them but they usually adapt pretty well. So I am really hoping I am just projecting onto them and they will be able to (Qi especially) live a happy and healthy life without me. I also hope and pray their behavioral issues are addressed and they are adopted to a home that is good for them. I know that adult black cats may not be adopted as much as other kinds...

I'm just so grateful for an organization like TCR that has really come through for us in this time of need. 

Thank you for your support along the way and for reading.