Urinating outside of the litter box :( I am going insane!

tiffsea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am at my wits end and I have never dealt with a cat that urinates outside of the box, so I'm super lost on this one. 

I have four female cats, which was definitely not my intention, but they're all rescues that kind of fell on me. 

- My oldest two are sisters, Ruby and Agnes, both 6 years old, and very well behaved.  

- I have a 1 1/2 year old, Violet, from a group of kittens  that I bottle-fed. 

- The last is a kitten I found in the dead of winter, outside in my neighborhood. I took her in and was unable to find a home for her, so I kept her. Her name is Chloe and she is having a difficult time committing to the use of the litter box. It''s driving me insane! :( :( :( 

Chloe, is now  approximately 1 years old. She was spayed when I found her, at about 6 months old. She has been urinating outside of the litter box incessantly. I can't quite pin point when it began, though I feel like this issue has been getting worse with time.

I find little puddles of pee everywhere, and have caught her in the act many times, in various areas of my house. When I carry her to the litter box and put her inside, she will often urinate in it then scurry away, so I feel like she sort of knows where she should be going, I just don't understand why she doesn't always go in there. She doesn't defecate outside of the box, only urinate, so I'm thinking it's territorial but I have no idea how to make it stop :( 

Just tonight, right in front of me, she backed herself up to a window of my house and spray-urinated onto the blinds, then she acted like nothing was wrong! There weren't even any other cats in the room! 

Needless to say I am exhausted and frustrated. I don't know what to do. I've tried various kinds of litter attractants and even bought a wheat based litter with "calming herbs" to help relax cats while in the box. I scoop daily and the litter is clean. I have three separate large litter boxes. 

Chloe gets along fine with the rest of the cats. She plays well with the other younger cat, and doesn't seem to have much of a problem with the older kitties either. Once in a while she and one of the older cats will act "catty" to each other, but then I find them sleeping in bed together, so there isn't an all out cat war going on. Just pee. Everywhere. They have toys, they eat the best of foods, I spend lots of time with them individually... none of the other cats are having an issue. :( It's really such a frustrating mystery. 

Please if you have any advice I'd love to hear it. I truly am at a loss.

THANK YOU! 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you taken her to the vet?  Maybe she has a urinary infection that needs to be dealt with, or some other health problem.  That's where I'd start, if you haven't done that already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffsea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! 

She's had a check up since this all started and doesn't have a UTI. The vet said it's likely a transition thing, but she just keeps doing it. This morning she urinated on a bag while staring right at my boyfriend :(   No other cats were in the room and nothing was really happening when she did it... :( 

Last edited: