Urinating On The Carpet!

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male kitty (about 2 years old) is fixed, is strictly indoors and has been to the vet for the issue of him peeing on the carpets! We're the only family that's lived in this house so I know it's not from other cat smells, nothing's changed...He's just all of a sudden peeing on the carpet! Vet said it was a behavioral issue. Well I'm not much of a kitty person but I do love him...Just not very educated on having a kitty! I clean the spot with an order neutralizer, there's no clothes on the floor, litter box is clean...There just hasn't been any changes! How do I stop this behavior!! It's been going on for two weeks now!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try to fill the litter box with dirt. Then if successful gradually switch back to litter. I never needed to train my cat when I bought her in as a 2 month old. She just naturally went to the dirt.
Then replaced the dirt with litter covered by a layer of dirt, then just litter.
Maybe a switch to dirt for a while will encourage your cat back to the box.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Be sure you are using a cleaner which is specifically for urine.

Did you change the brand of litter you are using? If so it may be that the litter is not as comfortable, the carpet is softer on the paws.

I can't have any carpet or rugs in my home as 2 cats and 1 dog all believe rugs are for peeing. Tile, linoleum and hardwood floors, no area rugs, no throw rugs, no mat in front of the kitchen sink or range, that's just the way it has to be, here.

You could also try retraining him to use the box, by keeping him confined in a small area such as a kennel or bathroom for a period of time. This will force him to use the box, and once he starts he 'should' continue on that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't changed litter. The only room we have carpet is my son's room. He's still young so he plays on his floor. I have two dogs and have had one for 14 years, the other for 8 and they've never had any accidents in this house. If he doesn't pee in there hell pee on the clothes if any are left on the floor. With having young ones...There's clothes on the floor sometimes. I will not rip up my carpet in my son's room so he'll stop peeing in there. I've noticed he does it every time I spend more time with him. Like he's jealous. He gets tons of attention from everyone! He really can't be given any more attention than what he gets now! Financial wise I'm tapped and can't afford to lay new flooring in the bedroom either. We heat with a Wood stove so keeping doors closed at all times also can't happen. Husband isn't mean to him but doesn't care for cats to start with. I've been informed this morning (after stepping in pee) that if this doesn't stop he's going outside.

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's why I need to fix this now. He was very unhappy when I brought him in to start with. He was a tiny kitten, covered in fleas, eat mites! Was so skinny...I couldn't leave him out there.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your cat doesn't like your son.
Have your son feed him for a while. Let them bond. Let your son be the one that gives him treats.
And when he does the right thing praise the $h!t out of him. Really let him know good behaviour = good rewards.

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes!! I will try that!! I hope hope I can find the solution!!

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also if he's not desexed he may be "marking". So desex if you haven't.

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been fixed...If that's what you mean. He's the only cat I've ever had.

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your cat doesn't like your son.
Have your son feed him for a while. Let them bond. Let your son be the one that gives him treats.
And when he does the right thing praise the $h!t out of him. Really let him know good behaviour = good rewards.
He's now started urinating in my daughter's room.

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be sure you are using a cleaner which is specifically for urine.

Did you change the brand of litter you are using? If so it may be that the litter is not as comfortable, the carpet is softer on the paws.

I can't have any carpet or rugs in my home as 2 cats and 1 dog all believe rugs are for peeing. Tile, linoleum and hardwood floors, no area rugs, no throw rugs, no mat in front of the kitchen sink or range, that's just the way it has to be, here.

You could also try retraining him to use the box, by keeping him confined in a small area such as a kennel or bathroom for a period of time. This will force him to use the box, and once he starts he 'should' continue on that way.
He stopped peeing on my son's floor, no peeing for about a week...now he's started peeing in my daughter's room.

Safety Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the opportunity to have 2 cats with urinary issues that never showed up diagnostically & they acted "normal" besides the peeing. In my case, WET FOOD ONLY & add 1-2 tbl of water to the food & never ever feed even 1 kibble of dry food or treats. I also put them both on Cosequin which helps rebuild urinary walls per the vet. Additionally I put Feliway diffusers in the house & gave them a holistic urinary formula (cant locate name) & added powdered probiotic (not prebiotics they can cause issues) & gave them 500 mg of lysine powder also to the wet food.

Result?? Peeing ended. Vet said they probably were in pain so is why they avoided litterbox. I used the Cosequin & Probiotics every day. The urinary holistic suppliment I gave per direction on the bottle. I would do lysine daily for a month.