Urinating on plastic?

tacocat7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had an older cat that peed in MANY places he shouldn't around the house, particularly on the landings at the bottom of stairs. Cat has passed, and we replaced the carpet in the basement. One of the remaining two cats still urinates at the bottom of the main carpeted staircase. I doused it with Nature's Miracle, let it dry, baking soda, vacuumed, and then covered the area with carpet plastic (like you'd use during construction). She is STILL urinating there every few days or so right on the plastic, and uses the litter boxes the rest of the time. It's easy to clean up, but I don't know what else to do to change her behavior. Vet says she's perfectly healthy. Other than putting a litter box right on the landing (um, no...), any ideas?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go for the litter box on the landing.  Easier to clean than carpet.  And as for plastic, my guys LOVE to pee in empty plastic litterboxes and on any plastic shopping bag that gets left on the floor too long.  I think it's just a feline thing.  Your cat is used to urinating in this place.  You might try putting down an incontinence pad and see if she will use that.  I have one that likes those, and my friend's two old cats both prefer to pee on pads now.

cheapo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you find a solution? I remember reading that some plastics contain a small amount of ammonia, as does cat urine. Are you using a cat friendly cleaning product? Some household cleaners also contain ammonia.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Smokey (9 years old) has been doing that for years. I remember when she was younger though, it was more frequent. She has some allergies so I have to pick up the plastic bags. But if I leave one on the ground, she'll smell it and lick it and try to eat it? That's what it seems like she's doing. Anyways, I don't think it's cause for concern since upon further research, I discovered that almost all cat owners have some experience with their cat being overly obsessed with plastic bags.