urinary tract obstruction

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! Good to know...i do not want to stress his kidneys anymore. His bloodwork, pre-op came back as good, which is such good news. As he does not have any history of urinary tract or kidney infections, i am thinking, this may be a one time deal...at least that is my hope. I am still unsure of why this happened. No stones found. Perhaps a combination of dehydration, infection, bad grooming habits...Gus was a found on street at @3 weeks old, no mama to teach him grooming, so he tends to be less fastidious than most cats. I understand even the vet community is often at a loss for why this happens. Gus is in surgery right now. Gulp. Really scared for him, but trying to stay busy until that (please God) good news phone call comes. Thanks again!

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My gus is Just out of surgery for this. First time ever in 9 years he has ever had an issue. Seems there are a lot of reasons a cat can become blocked, it is painful, it is absolutely an emergency. They can have an infection, or stones or crystals, or a mass. Their pee tube becomes filled with stuff, hence blocked and urine has no where to go. First is to get your cat unblocked, with catheter, this will allow the pee to flow. Next is to determine why, and sometimes there is no answer. Next step, removing catheter, see if cat will pee on his or her own. In the interum, antibiotics, i.v.fluids, hospital stay, xray, blood urine work up. For gus, he needed the p.u. Surgery. Male cat pee tube very small and long,like a coffee stirrer, compared to female cat pee tube, which is more like a milkshake straw and much shorter.
Male cats get blocked a lot.
Kibble is so so bad for cats they need wet food and fresh water always. Dehydration can lead to blockage as well. Have spent a week learning about this, it is so hard to live through.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess i want everyone to know, kibble or dry cat food is so bad for cats. I used to feed just dry to gus, but since his blockage, i never will again. Plenty of sites online about how wet food is the way to go. I foolishly thought i was doing his teeth a favor by feeding dry food. Now i have a lot of guilt.....they don't need veggies or grains. In the wild they eat warm meat that is wet. Makes sense now in hindsite. Poor little guy. But his p.u. Surgery went well. Can not wait to get him home, despite the long recovery ahead, just want him heathly and near me. So please, everyone, know: wet food and water! Keep that kitty hydrated!

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little Gus home from hospital after p.u. Surgery. Still a two week recovery, but i am hopeful and grateful. I expected, rightfully so, Gus would be angry and grumpy but today i put my hand inside his elizabethan collar to rub his head (his favorite spot) and he placed his paw in my other hand, started purring away, and fell asleep. I can not express what a sweet cherished moment that was! And this is why i am forever grateful to share my life with my pets. This poor little guy has been through two blockages, a hospital stay, P.U. Surgery, and it is HE who shows me kindness! My heart is overwhelmed with love and gratitude.