Urinary Tract Infection

jkuras

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - My little Sushi who I rescued a year ago, has kidney and stomach problems. He has a malformed kidney - which was confirmed in 2 ultra scans so he is already in third stage kidney failure. But he is doing fine. However, periodically, he stops eating and drinking. I run him to the vet, who knows him since I adopted him from her office, and she gives him an antibiotic and some fluids, and he snaps out of it and returns to normalcy. He also has a reaction to canned food. NO matter which one I give him and I also give him Schesir - natural cat food which he will only eat one flavor. But he also gets sick after months on that. He steady diet is Renal. Unfortunately, he won't eat the wet version, only the dry so I know the dangers of that and there is nothing I can do.

Last week he completely stopped drinking water. I ran him immediately to the vet. She gave him an intravenous 3x during the next 2 days at the clinic and an antibiotic. She ran blood work, all the tests that were necessary and did another ultra scan - nothing on the scan concerned her, nothing to cause alarm as we thought it might be liver disease and so many other things.

I took him home yesterday. He drank alot and ate. I am giving him an antibiotic tablet once a day for 5 days. Not easy getting that down.

This morning, it is very hot. He was a bit lethargic and has not drank any water since last night. Will watch him today and tomorrow. I let the vet know - she uses What's App so she is always reachable.

I am not sure if it is being home since he was stressed being there with all the tests and staying overnight. I do not know.

Just frustrated as I want to do all I can for him, and sometimes a vet can tell you what he doesn't have, but not exactly what he does.

Joyce

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and your little guy are going thru this. How old is he? Have you considered giving him sub-q fluids at home, since he won't eat wet food and he's in Stage 3? Many people with kidney cats do this. Most of them think"there is NO WAY I can do it", but then they have the Vet show them how, and in the end, they do it and wonder why they wanted so long! I think that would help your little guy immensely to have plenty of fluids in in, and help your finances too :wink:.

Have you seen this website? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat This is my "go to" for anything kidney related. ( I've had 3 kidney cats, so I can definitely relate) They even give tips on how to give fluids, where to buy the supplies, etc. Of course, WE can help you with that too, but that site also has all kinds of info on what heppens during the disease process, tips on what to do for vomiting issues, etc. All at your fingertips.