Urinary Tract Infection

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I hear ya Laurie...we spent the afternoon in Ikea as I am redesigning the upstairs bedroom. I painted one wall espresso brown and am going to pair it with teal and white. Probably take me forever but it's so much fun!

Sphinx cats...are they the hairless ones that Rachel had on friends?

So glad to hear Simon is doing better! What kind of wet food do you feed him? So he got his appetite back? That's wonderful news, it must be the right meds!! I got Cody and Boo several different kinds of can food and she will not even try them. I'm wondering if that wet food in the pouches would be better?

She pee'd in the family room AGAIN this weekend. Boo must have accidently knocked down the baby gate when jumping over and she ran in there and got the coner. I also found some more in the dining room. (On one of my old canvas paintings!) ARGH!!!!!! I had to trash it. I simply do not know what to do with her. I may try taking her to another vet for a second opinion. It's wearing on both me and hubby...and I just ran out of cleaning solution!

Hope you had a great weekend too! I so wish the weekends lasted LONGER.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Cody, how frustrating. I am still worried that Simon is not going to continue with his good behavior. Like I said eariler I am trying to be opimistic, but I have felt this way before and he went back to peeing on the living room carpet. I did remove the rug from the room and cleaned the wood floor really good. I was thinking maybe he was going in there because I couldn't totally remove the smell. And all weekend he went in the pan, there was nothing this morning but with crossed fingers I will hopfully find some when I get home tonight. So is Cody going in specific areas of the house, should you maybe have the carpets cleaned to make sure it's not the smell that's bring her back. Just an idea. And I agree I would take her to a different vet, never hurts to get a second opinion.

Brown and teal? now that is a color combo that I probably wouldn't do. But that could be that I am not a fan of teal. I did paint my kitchen recently a dark chocolate with a cove ceiling effect, it has white trim and off white cupboards. And the floor is large green tiles. It turned out great, I get lots of complements on it.

Oh, Simon is also taking his med mixed in with his wet food. So no more forcing it down him, thank goodness!!!

And I also think we should have three day weekends. Where is the politican who runs on that, pass a bill to make a 32 hour work week, and three day weekends. Now that's someone I would vote for.

Laurie

luvscharlotte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Sorry to bring this thread back. I hope Simon and Cody are doing much better! I was surfing the web researching UTI's when I found this forum....I hope someone can help put my mind at ease!

I have a 8 week old kitten, Charlotte. I got her 4 weeks ago from a shelter. Last Tuesday, Halloween, I noticed she was having difficulty urinating and a little blood was coming out and noticed she hadn't been eating as much. I took her to the vet the next day and they sent her home with antibiotics. I've been giving them to her since Thursday....and she's still having problems urinating. She's going #2 just fine, but her appetite isn't what it used to be.

My question....have any of you had this problem with a kitten? Should it have cleared up by now since she's on meds? Is it something serious to worry about? I've asked the vet but can't seem to get a straight answer, I was hoping fellow cat lovers would have some experience with this...any helpful information would be much appreciated!

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a kitten before, all my cats have been close to a year old when I got them. I would be more concerned that your vet isn't giving you a straight answer. Maybe you need to talk to a different vet.

In my experience with my cats is that it does take a few days for the med's to take effect, but my cat Simon wasn't doing well with one kind of med so we switch to something else and he seems to be responding better.

I'm sure someone out here will have been info about kittens.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Laurie

luvscharlotte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Laurie. Glad to hear you found the right medication for Simon... I've been researching like crazy about UTIs in kitties. I was just reading how it's very common when they don't respond to the meds. How frustrating! I'm scheduled to take her back for a check up on Wednesday. Hopefully all will go well. I'm just hoping this isn't a serious problem and will all go away very soon! She's my very first cat and I'm extremely protective. I hate to see her in such discomfort

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First off, welcome to TCS!

Sorry to hear Charlotte isn't feeling well. Glad you're bringing her back to the vet. It's been a week, long enough for those meds to take effect and it doesn't sound like they are working. Usually with the right medicine, the kitty will start to feel better within a couple days, similar to humans. And UTI's are very painful to our little guys...paws crossed there's not anything else wrong.

Please let us know how you make out...and hope you're little girl is feeling better soon!
Susan

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by russ0268

So is Cody going in specific areas of the house, should you maybe have the carpets cleaned to make sure it's not the smell that's bring her back. Just an idea. And I agree I would take her to a different vet, never hurts to get a second opinion.

Brown and teal? now that is a color combo that I probably wouldn't do. But that could be that I am not a fan of teal. I did paint my kitchen recently a dark chocolate with a cove ceiling effect, it has white trim and off white cupboards. And the floor is large green tiles. It turned out great, I get lots of complements on it.

Laurie
Hi Laurie!

Cody is going in specific areas...in our dining room on this wood bay window/storage area. I have cleaned it OVER and OVER...but I think it's in the wood and we can't get it all out without completely replacing the wood. UGH! The other place is in the corner in the family room. I have cleaned the area with kitty solution, then mouthwash and I'll probably steam the carpets soon. It's a process I tell you! We also got the black light out to get some other hidden "spots"...it's so delightful...NOT!

It's been quiet since Saturday. Paws crossed she doesn't see any stray cats outside...that seems to be when she has accidents. How's Simon doing? Hopefully he's feeling all better. How old is he?

Yep, brown and teal...but the teal is more turquiose than green...its very modern and that's a switch for me...I usually stay with neutral, paler colors. What's a cove ceiling effect? Brown and green are pretty together...bet it looks good. We're looking to re-do our kitchen next year...painting the cabinets white with green walls.

Susan

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Susan,

It definitly sounds like your dealing with a dehavioral issues, how fustrating. I put an extra pan out last night with the Cat Attract litter and it got used, so somebody likes it. I liked the little informational brochure that came in the bag. It talked about everything, specifically some things to do with issues your dealing with. So if you've tried it in the past I might give it another try and use some of the suggestions it mentions.

How is Simon? Well seems to be doing great, eating, using the potty room, and he was more playful last night. Jumping up for toys, going around in circles. I think that might also have to do with getting his weight down. He's going to have more energy. I've been talking to much about Simon, did you know I have another cat? Sofie. She is a dream, easy, adjusts to everything, sweet, playful, and she loves Simon. Here are a couple pictures of her.

I adopted her from a resue group when she was about a year old. Simon is around 8 years old and Sofie's is about 2. Doesn't she have the prettiest eyes?

The cove ceiling effect is when you paint onto the ceiling. Remember the old home where the walls curved into the ceiling, it wasn't a sharp 90 degree angle, that is a cove ceiling. So I just tried to implement that with a painting effect. I think I painted about 9" onto the ceiling, I've never seen it done before but everyone who sees it loves it. My kitchen is quite large and I have very high ceiling so it really works well.

I need to get back to a photo I've been retouching since yesterday. Talk to you soon.

Laurie

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh I did not know you had another kitty...SHE IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! But I'm partial to tabbies.
She sounds like a little lovebug like Boo is. He's only 1 year old...Cody is about 5 1/2. It's nice to hear they both get along well too. We should put Boo and Sofie together, the two tabbies...and Simon and Cody together, the problem children!

Speaking of which, hubby banished her to the downstairs last night. We came home from the DMV to find her behind the wood (we have this huge wood panel to keep her out of the living room, she must have snuck in behind Boo) and she marked in the family room. It was only a little bit of pee so the vet considered it marking...as she is still using the regular kitty box. UGH! Dennis just freaked as he and I are just at our wit's end with her. She is destroying our whole house (2 year old new carpet). I feel bad putting her downstairs but it's getting out of control. I let Boo go down there to play with her this morning.

One good thing is the diet seems to be working as I think she's lost a pound or 2 in the past couple weeks. At least she can't eat Boo's food when they're seperated like this. I simply do not know what to do with her. I just had testing done on her a year ago...vet said we could do it again but he suggested a kitty anti-depressant for her. I may try it as I don't know what else to do.

Anywho, hope you're having a better week than me! Looking forward to painting and working on the modern bedroom this weekend! Are you working on anything fun?
Susan

russ0268

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Isn't that always the case, the problem kitty is the one who gets all the attention. Yes, Sofie is a cutie, as she gets older she likes to snuggle more which I like. I had a cat Wilma, who was 17 years old when she passed a few years back (still miss her). Well I didn't want Simon to be alone so after a year I felt ready for another cat. And so I went looking for Sofie, I spend maybe a minutes with her and just knew. If took a couple months but she won over Simon and it's been great ever since. I would say who biggest problem is when I play with them she can be a toy hog, but she is probably twice as fast as Simon. Hence the weight, she's half as big as him. But I have to say that since he's has been losing a little weight and eating a wet diet he has been much more active. Jumping for toys and running around, it's nice to see that in him again. I'll just have to keep a closer eye on his behavior and make sure he stays active.

Wow, what a bummer. Don't feel bad about leaving her in the basement. What other chose do you have. I think limiting her enviorment will help you get control back. I think getting her weight down is very important. And by putting her in the basement you have better control of her diet. She will adjust. My mother at one time keep her two cats confined to the kitchen and basement because she was finding it hard to keep up with the cat hair. Her one cat sheds more than any cat I've ever known. And they didn't like it at first, but then adjusted and it worked out fine.

My week has been good, except I managed to get sick. Not enough to keep me away from work, but enough to make me feel kind of shitty. I've got to pick up more meds for Simon tomorrow, 20 more days and then he'll be done. Can't wait. I hope to have plenty of time this weekend for working on my drawing. I also have a collage piece I want to work on. I would like to see pictures of the modern bedroom when it's done, got to see those colors together.

Hang in there Susan, remember you need to make decisions that are best for You, even if Cody doesn't agree she will adjust. Talk to you soon, Laurie