Urinary Mystery

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is a mystery... She's female, I adopted her. She will try to pee in the litter box a lot eventhough a lot of times nothing comes out. At the shelter they already performed an operation on her to look if something might be wrong inside of her but they didn't find anything. They put her on stress medication and gave her special urinary food. I didn't give her the stress medication when she was with me because she seemed very happy and comfortable and I saw no signs of stress. They also adviced me to stop giving it.

When I adopted her I never had issues with her urinary problem but at some point I started to notice that she would sometimes leave small drips of urine wherever she would sleep and lie down. Then they got bigger. One time the urine just went out of her while she was looking through the window and I wonder if she even noticed it? Then suddenly I would see some blood in the litter box. I brought urine to the vet multiple times to check for a bladder infection and crystals etc. They saw no signs of crystals and they even took an x-ray of her once and saw absolutely nothing. She did always show signs of a bladder infection and they gave me medication for that. Only once did she show me she was in pain by making growling signs. I took her to the evening emergency vet.

Since I moved away with her a new appartment to live with my boyfriend and we got a kitten to join the house, the blood has been gone. Haven't seen it for months and months now. But it seems like like every 2 weeks, she suddenly pees a lot everywhere. Whenever she lies down somewhere to sleep, she leaves a lot of urine. And then after two weeks or so, she doesn't seem to have that issue for two weeks, only maybe a few drips here and there and then it starts again. We will handle this, we do everything for our girl, no issue, but I am just wondering what this could be and if I can make things more comfortable for her, maybe even fix the issue? She seems perfectly healthy in every way but seems to have a urinary stress issue maybe? chronic bladder infection? I bought some medication but it doesnt seem to help. Her behaviour is fine though. Loving cat that has moments of intense energy! I still give her urinary food btw!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the medication you gave her an antibiotic? Did she take it for 10 days?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:frustrated: How frustrating!! Have you consulted a holisitic vet about trying some herbal supplements to soothe and support the kidneys and bladder? When my friend's cat was recommended to be pts, she took him to a Seattle vet who recommended KidneySupport formula and some herbs and that turned things around for him. It has been 6 years now and Killey is doing well. It is definitely something that I would look into as herbs such as marshmallow root, red raspberry and slippery elm helped my chronic kidney issues and reoccurring bladder infections after I began having severe reactions to most antibiotics.
And be sure to give her bottled or good well water. The chemicals used in city water systems can exacerbate things.
Please keep us updated!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:frustrated: How frustrating!! Have you consulted a holisitic vet about trying some herbal supplements to soothe and support the kidneys and bladder? When my friend's cat was recommended to be pts, she took him to a Seattle vet who recommended KidneySupport formula and some herbs and that turned things around for him. It has been 6 years now and Killey is doing well. It is definitely something that I would look into as herbs such as marshmallow root, red raspberry and slippery elm helped my chronic kidney issues and reoccurring bladder infections after I began having severe reactions to most antibiotics.
And be sure to give her bottled or good well water. The chemicals used in city water systems can exacerbate things.
Please keep us updated!
Thank you so much for the advice! Very interesting, I will definitely look into that! I am glad to hear that things have turned around for Killey and for you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was the medication you gave her an antibiotic? Did she take it for 10 days?
She had anti biotics once and took it for 10 days but bladder infections keep coming back