Urinary Issues (again) :(

Oliverandgizmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! My 8 year old cat Oliver was unable to pee a couple weeks ago (12/16) and we brought him to the vet where he stayed for 2 days and he was on a catheter. They got him to pee and told me they saw no crystals, no mucus plug, no stones. All they said was his Pee Pee area (shpincter) was small.
I have him on the special urinary wet and dry food from purina since then.
Now tonight all of the sudden he is unable to pee again!! He is squatting down in the box like last time not able to pee. His little pee pee is irritated. I am beside myself.. I feel so awful for him and can’t believe this is happening again:(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The vets are going to have to try something else. Perhaps, he could benefit from anti-inflammatory meds or maybe even anti-spasmodic meds - and, even some pain meds. He is 8 yo, his sphincter didn't just get small now, unless it is from inflammation. It might mean that you need to take him to a vet that specializes in urology to see if they might shed some light on what is going on.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Definitely call the vet but meanwhile try to find a holistic vet for advice on using marshmallow root (MR) or cornsilk or red raspberry leaf or slippery elm (SE) for quick symptom relief. Marshmallow root is my go-to herb when that's all I have available but these herbs can be used in combination. Red raspberry leaf is marketed as pregnancy tea and is taken for antispasmodic benefits. These herbs can be combined but a rule of thumb is no more than 6 herbs. SE coats the mucus linings and that may inhibit absorption of certain medications so should be separated from medications by 4-6 hours.
D-mannose is a unique probiotic that some studies show is beneficial in fighting certain UTIs and anecdotal evidence suggests that it helps cats for whom a PU (perineal urethrostomy) is recommended.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I learned a while ago to never go with vetrinarian Rx foods. If you look at ingredients, they are sub-par at best. And while I know it's not the best, when I had two cats in need (1 kidney stones built up and had to be surgically removed & another with constant urinary crystals in his tract), I researched a bit and found Diamond Urinary. It's just dry, but neither cat would eat wet. You cab read about it here: