Urinary cat food gives cat diarrhea

BudWheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was getting urinary tract infections constantly. Switched to this food and they went away but now he just has diarrhea. He drinked plenty of water before the food but without it he has infections. There is another post about using S boulardii but I read it was bad for cats with infections but didn't say anything about tract infections. So long as he doesn't have an infection it should be worth a try? Any ideas?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know what is causing the UTI, it could be stress for example. Have a look at Cornsilk and D-Mannose. I give mine these when he has a flare up and it settles within several days. Have you had his urine analysed? What tests did your vet do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What urinary care food are you feeding him? And, as asked above - what does the vet think the primary cause of the UTIs are? There are a few different brands of urinary care food on the market, so maybe one of the other brands wouldn't cause diarrhea?

A lot of members on this site use S. boulardii to help with diarrhea, but I don't think it has any impact one way or the other on the urinary tract, as far as I know. The only thing I have ever heard about it related to infections, is when a cat is on antibiotics due to an infection the S. boulardii is beneficial in helping maintain bacterial balance in the digestive tract which can be messed up by the antibiotics. Some folks also try plain pumpkin to help bulk up stool .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BudWheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All the vet said that he had one gave meds for it told us to use food made for it have plenty of water and that was it. Ive tried Purima Iams and 9lives all with the same results.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not aware that 9Lives made any urinary care food, nor Iams. Hill's C/D, Royal Canin SO, Purina One Urinary Tract Care, and Wysong Uretic are the only ones that I know of. All of them come in both canned and dry food. The latter two I don't think require a prescription.

So, were/are his UTIs because of urinary stones or because of urine PH balance - or? What was he eating before the UTIs started?

BudWheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IAMS Proactive health 9lives Pluscare I need to go back to the Purina. It's been a year since we took him to vet I would have to call and check but I want to say it was due to PH. He never had stones. He always had soft poop Dr said it would be normal with this type of food but the past couple weeks its been diarrhea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IAMS Proactive health 9lives Pluscare I need to go back to the Purina. It's been a year since we took him to vet I would have to call and check but I want to say it was due to PH. He never had stones. He always had soft poop Dr said it would be normal with this type of food but the past couple weeks its been diarrhea.
From what I just read, the Iams Proactive Health is really more for overall health care, not specific to urinary care - might be why the vet suggested that one, as they were looking for something that could help with the diarrhea. The 9Lives Pluscare does say it is for helping to lower the PH level.

So, he has always had soft stool - even before the UTIs/food change? Did you say what he ate before the UTIs started and whether or not he was having loose stools then? I guess either way, try the S. boulardii, or maybe even plain pumpkin. If you are still unsure about the S. boulardii, you can ask your vet about it. It may or may not work, but there should be nothing harmful to him with trying it.

BudWheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before the food he had normal poop but he got an infection twice so we switched food and started having soft poop. Probably should have said he currently on the 9 lives one. It looked more like regular cat food so thought I'd try it. Dr. suggested prescription if not any urinary food will work. Need to go back to the Purina just the store didn't have it. I guess I'll try the supplement. Any recommendations? There are plenty of them. Noticed all the expensive cat ones say there good enough for humans just happen to be 2 or 3x the price and half the amount. Hate that!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use s boulardii when my cats have diarrhoea, one of them has UTI issues. I sprinkle half a capsule and mix it in his food twice a day and his stools firm up within 3/4 days. This is the one I use.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0013OVW0E/?tag=
If you don't want to use that, try Psillium. Sprinkle a pinch onto his food and mix in, again twice a day.