Urinary care: Purina's Felix Soup vs Royal Caninn

cajuslife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10-year-old cat (male, a bit under 4kg, indoor) has been eating for the past 2 years 1 pack of 48g Felix Soup + 35g of Purina's urinary care dry food once a day. I still mix some extra water in there so he gets his liquid intake - he never touches his water bowl. He has been doing well for this period and has not had any urinary infections.
For some months he started asking for food in the late afternoon - maybe because I started giving him small treats now and then, he continued with this routine. I was just about to buy another round of food for him and then I started thinking about how 48g of wet food might not be enough. Indeed, according to websites, 4kg cats should be eating 85g of wet food + 30ish grams of dry.

When looking for 85g sachets, I found the Royal Canin Urinary Care in gravy (Urinary Care Gravy (émincés en sauce) wet | Royal Canin).

I could try to give him some more of Felix Soup in his 1 meal per day, but I could also switch to Royal Canin's. Although double the cost, I could afford it if the benefits were clear.
What would you suggest, Is the switch to Royal Canin worth it? Considering he is about in half his life, I want him to be healthy for the years to come and not take any risks as far as making his urinary issue worse.

Thanks

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - To clarify, he doesn't have kidney issues, but rather these foods are intended to avoid crystals building up and causing urinary tract infections?

Does your vet like the ingredient list and the urinary support of the Royal Canin?

What I'm wondering is if you could utilize both wet products which would help a little on the cost of the RC, but I'm not sure the math works out if you increase the Felix Soup for him, in other words are purchasing more because you are feeding more.

Also, along with utilizing tall drinking glasses since some cats love drinking out of them, and using filtered water, this article has some good tips;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cajuslife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, you are right - and thanks for clarifying: He does not have kidney issues, but he did have a few times urinary tract infections (the last one was 3 years ago), so since then we have been much more careful with his feeding.

I don't have a steady vet, since I just moved to a new town recently. I mostly go to the vet when there is a problem. I will check with my previous vet, although I don't have a close relationship so not sure how much thought she will give.

I just figured that moving to the urinary care-specific RC would be a welcoming thing. Also, as you pointed out, if I'm going to double his wet food intake, the price would be the same as RC's.

Thank you for the hydration article! I'll definitely try some of those suggestions to see if my cat will be more interested in drinking.