Urinary Blockage

Rose-Petal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat was treated for a urinary blockage a few days ago, he has been home 5 days now and was prescribed a lot of meds. This morning I noticed he has been frequently visiting his litter box every 5 mins. He does urinate, but very small amounts. Is that normal after a catheter?This seem to have stopped once I gave his meds but I don't know if it's just knocked him out...

I have switched him to Hills C/D Urinary Stress with some of his previous dry food mixed in (he has solely been on dry food forever). I have purchased a water fountain which he drinks from. I also got Healthy bites urinary care treats and Gimcat multivitamin paste. Are these okay for him?

The vet said he did not have any crystals and the cause was likely stress for whatever reason I do not know but I am trying everything to keep his stress to a minimum. I purchased the Feliway Optimum which should arrive soon.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I think the treats and the paste are ok, --you might double check with your vet, and also talk to them about his litterbox behavior.

There are a couple other tips in this article if you haven't seen it already (it might be useful for other readers and lurkers too :) )

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty is a very picky eater she will literally starve herself without "her" 1 and only brand of dry cat food unfortunately... she will not touch any wet food nor any treats.. what I do is I have her favorite type of dishes which for her are ceramic and about 6 inches off the ground. I even tried a 2ater fountain and she hated it lol (Try to find what kind of dish your kitty favors). She does not like tap water, so I filter it or give her bottle water. I also have 3 water dishes around the house (she favors 2 of the spots but I keep the 3rd). I also dump out water and clean them every day and she drinks plenty. When we first got her she had hydration issues (i could tell by her urine output and by doing a "tent" test pull up the back of the scruff and see how quick it goes back down) until I found what worked for her. I hope you find what works for your little man.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose-Petal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. :) The article was very helpful. I have got him a water fountain, and another one on the way for another room.

I am planning on slowly weaning him off dry food completely, but still mixing wet and dry at the moment so it's not a huge shock to his system.

He seems to have stopped going to the litter box since I gave him his meds. The vet said it may just be the inflammation from the catheter giving him the sensation that he needs to "go".

I'm hoping with his new diet, more water intake, and more stimulation (more cat trees, and toys etc) will help prevent this happening again. He is an indoor cat so I'm going to try everything I can to keep him occupied.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't kow a lot about it but my cat Austin had a UTI with crystals when we were waiting to adopt him (but not blocked). They got him better at the rescue before we took him home, but I do know they carefully monitor the cats litter box output (I volunteer there and we have to mark on a paper if their urine is unusual), so it wouldn't hurt to check with your vet about the frequent trips with small output.

Does he seem stressed? We had Feliway for a cat we adopted who I think had been abused and I can't say if it helped or not, but eventually she relaxed and one of the sweetest cats ever. My thinking was it couldn't hurt to try.

My vet presecribed Royal Canin SO dry and also Royal Canin SO morsels. You might try some wet food. Even if they drink, having some wet in their diet helps too. My Austin just licks the gravy out of the SO Morsels, but he does eat some fancy feast classic every day, which my vet approved. In fact, she told me about one of her patients who was about to have to have surgery and they switched him to FF Classic and it cleared up. For what that's worth. (I love my vet).

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose-Petal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty is a very picky eater she will literally starve herself without "her" 1 and only brand of dry cat food unfortunately... she will not touch any wet food nor any treats.. what I do is I have her favorite type of dishes which for her are ceramic and about 6 inches off the ground. I even tried a 2ater fountain and she hated it lol (Try to find what kind of dish your kitty favors). She does not like tap water, so I filter it or give her bottle water. I also have 3 water dishes around the house (she favors 2 of the spots but I keep the 3rd). I also dump out water and clean them every day and she drinks plenty. When we first got her she had hydration issues (i could tell by her urine output and by doing a "tent" test pull up the back of the scruff and see how quick it goes back down) until I found what worked for her. I hope you find what works for your little man.
Thank you. My boy is lao extremely fussy. He would only eat a particular branded dry food and only chicken flavour!

Thankfully, he seems to have taken quite well to the Hills C/D Urinary Stress cat food, as well as the multivitamin paste and the urinary care treats. It may sound silly, but I am very proud of him to allow the changes. When he was younger he wouldn't ever try anything that wasn't his dry food chicken flavour. 🥹

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. My boy is lao extremely fussy. He would only eat a particular branded dry food and only chicken flavour!

Thankfully, he seems to have taken quite well to the Hills C/D Urinary Stress cat food, as well as the multivitamin paste and the urinary care treats. It may sound silly, but I am very proud of him to allow the changes. When he was younger he wouldn't ever try anything that wasn't his dry food chicken flavour. 🥹
Mine is fussy too. He wouldn't eat the SO wet pate but he's lick the gravy from the morsels. Fortunately he snarfs the SO dry. I tried those urinary treats and he was having none of it.

My other cat, Cricket, is the queen of fuss, but I did get her to eat 2 flavors of Weruva, so I'm happy about that. She likes her dry food though.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm happy to hear he is doing well with the transition I hope it all works out very well for little man!!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post catheter irritation is common in pets and people. I use marshmallow root or slippery elm for their soothing effects which can kick in rather quickly. The mucilage of those herbs can inhibit absorption of meds so I separate the herbs from meds by 4-6 hours although 2 hours is said to be enough.
I am so glad that your boi is on the mend :)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I tend to suggest this a lot since it's been extremely helpful to my boy who is prone to Crystals etc.

Amazon.ca

It works for some very well and for others not - but might be worth a try. It was recommended by a vet.

With him not eating wet food - you an see if he likes the flavour on it's own.