Urinary Blockage

susu71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took our male cat, Max, to the emergency vet on Thursday evening, after I got home from work. He was going into the litter box, scratching around and coming back out and meowing - a weird meow.  I thought maybe he had a bowel obstruction.  We scooped him up and off we went.

It wasn't a bowel obstruction - but a urinary blockage.  They kept him overnight at the emergency clinic.  They put a catheter in and an IV and started flushing out the bladder.  The urine was bloody.  I picked him up Friday morning and took him straight to our vet, where they continued to monitor him and flush his bladder.

So I picked him up today, Saturday, around 1130.  His bottom is definitely sore.  He penis looks prolapsed. He ate a little bit of wet food and vomited it up a few hours later.  He has gone in and out of the litter box several times, and I know he is having loose stool (because it's on his butt and I have had to wipe him off).  Also, he is drooling. A lot.

We were sent home with:

Buprenorphine - for pain

Prazosin for urethral spasms

Clavamox or the UTI

So basically, I am just wondering if this is normal behavior?

We do have a female cat as well, Ruby, but I shipped her off to my moms house for a few days.  I need to make sure he is having output and the only way I can do that is for him to be the only cat here.  Do you think that is a good thing?  Or is he missing her too?  She is more spastic than he is and I was hoping to keep him quiet so he can recover.

Thanks!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is normal behavior. He will go to the litterbox dozens of times and pee a teaspoon of pee each time. Also I don't think he would notice the other cat gone but stress can aggravate this problem if he was very close to the female cat Id probably bring her back. It is important at this point to push the water intake. When my cat had his recovery I'd have bowls of water everywhere. Also I would assume he's on a special diet now if you can push the wet food more that the dry that's good too. It is also normal for him to go in the litterbox at least once or twice and not be able to go at all. His bladder and urethra is very inflammed and swollen so the urine flow will be restricted for awhile. As long as he is somewhat interest in eating and drinking he's ok. If he cries when trying to go Id immediately take him back to the vet to be safe. That's my advice and if you go it may be a false alarm but I think it's better to be a false alarm. Following him to the litterbox day and night is normal behavior for human parents as well so don't feel weird doing it it's always good to make sure they continue to have urine flow. Oh also the flow will be pretty constricted and may sound like a milking cow's milk flow with several spurts instead of a regular flow.thats normal too.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's had a life threatening condition, aggressive treatment to save him, and this could be part of the recovery process and its also early into his treatment.  I don't know a single vet who would refuse to talk to a current client on the phone about a condition currently being treated.  Call your vet first thing Mon and request a call back and discuss his behavior and symptoms.  Unless he's blocked again in which case I would take him in.