Urinary blockage recovery

janetwe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, and happy New Year-

My December started when my cat, Tony, was diagnosed with heart disease and borderline chronic heart failure. He's 9. He was also diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and a heart murmur that appeared pretty suddenly. As we were about to take him to Cornell for a pacemaker (his heart rate was at a 77, so he would have had no chance), he had a urinary blockage.

Tony blocked on a Tuesday, came home on a Wednesday, and reblocked on a Friday. He stayed at an emergency clinic until the following Tuesday, and has been home for about a week now. He is still peeing in small amounts, which i know is totally normal. Does anyone know how long it takes for cats to start urinating in normal amounts? Tony is feisty, and can't stand being locked up... because the stress is bad for his heart and apparently his recovery, we are locking up the other cats at night, and giving him free run of the house (so we can monitor his output).

I feel like I won't be able to rest more easily until he starts peeing regular amounts..Right now, I seriously study every pee pile to make sure it's more than a spot or two. We also have a petcube (wifi live camera), so I watch him during the day.

But it's been a week. Am I looking at any day now? A week? Another few?

Thanks!

Janet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I honesty can't find anything about how long it takes for them to get back to normal, only that it's normal for them to urinate smaller amounts for "awhile".  Have you asked your Vet how long they thing it might be?  If no one answers your post, I'd just call my Vet and ask them. 

for Tony and all his healthy issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janetwe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry- you know, I never saw your reply, or I would have thanked you! It took Tony a long time to recover from that particular blockage, and he almost blocked again last Thanksgiving. He's still with us, though, and we are thankful for that every day! Just please keep your fingers crossed, because his heart and thyroid continue to be problematic. We love our little guy, though!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping all of my fingers crossed for Tony! Hopefully he will continue to do well! :goodluck:

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry- you know, I never saw your reply, or I would have thanked you! It took Tony a long time to recover from that particular blockage, and he almost blocked again last Thanksgiving. He's still with us, though, and we are thankful for that every day! Just please keep your fingers crossed, because his heart and thyroid continue to be problematic. We love our little guy, though!
I'm just going to tell you what I did. My Moses had a urinary blockage when he turned 2 years old because I had him on dry food. I kept having to take him back to the vet, where he'd be treated, and then more urinary issues after that. I finally got fed up and looked into figuring out why he kept having UTIs instead of just treating the symptoms, which always came back. I gave him a homeopathy remedy first. Then I took him off dry food completely and gave him an all wet food diet. I also placed a lot of water bowls around the house to encourage drinking. This stopped it. He didn't have another UTI, stones or anything for nine years. (And that's because I started giving crap dry food again!)

If he's eating mainly dry food, I'd get him off it.

janetwe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! We ended up doing the same. He is on an all wet food diet, particularly for breaking up crystals and stones. Tony's problem too is that he sometimes starts to block because he's so nervous. That one is a little harder to deal with, but he's doing great on the wet food. I wish I had known that dry food was bad for cats. I had no idea, but no cat of ours will ever have it again.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hear you! Blocking from "nerves" is one of the most difficult things to treat since there is no bacteria, no crystals, etc. It sounds like Tony is doing great, though, and I am glad to hear that! My boy is on food for crytals, too. I feel it has really helped. He didn't like the wet, though, and just eats the prescription kibble.

janetwe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that your buddy us doing well! Knock on wood, Tony is doing okay. I baby him, and I am so grateful for every day we have with him!