Urinary blockage hours after catheter removed?

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured I should post an update! Theodore is back to square one after the intial blockage 28 days ago. The past week he hasn't been himself, still playing and eating but he was just "off". We noticed his bladder getting bigger and bigger over the last week and while it wasn't hard, the size was becoming quite alarming. He has been straining to use the litter, running back and forth and dribbling very small amounts on whatever he found on the floor. He visited the vet again this morning and she wasn't able to express anything out of him and he wasn't in a huge amount of vocal pain while she did it. Later today the main vet tried and while he could express, he wasn't happy with the amount and the bladder size. We were given 3 options, catheterize again, PU surgery or have him cross the rainbow bridge. We chose surgery as we feel that somehow the 2nd catheter may have caused issues. I don't really know if having surgery will help given he isn't blocked but for some reason he can't go potty. Antibiotics and corticosteroids helped temporarily.
We are at a loss.

I'm so sorry that Theodore is having problems still. I know when my kitty blocked, in 1994, he came home, after being catherized, just to block again 12 hrs later. He came home but was incontinent for a week. He had to wear a diaper. He was so irritated. He never
blocked again and he live 10 yrs after the blocking. I feed him mostly dry too. In 1994 I had no computet to research either. A miracle.

Poor Theodore is so irritated from being catherized twice. Mine was too and he couldn't hold his pee and Theodore doesn't want to pee.
I just pray this works for him and he has a long life, with no urinary problems, like my kitty.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing all the right things and this feels like a very good decision.  I'm wishing all of you and Theodore all the best and sending lots of vibes. Please update us again after surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theodore is home! He seems very happy at the moment! I got a bit of a shock looking at the wound site, it looks terrible. I guess it wasn't what I was expecting really. The vet called us late last night to explain what happened. When we bought him in, the vet sedated so that he could put a catheter in. However he couldn't thread it in any further than a quarter of an inch even though he could express a very thin stream. His bladder was full so the surgery had to be done. The vet doesn't fully understand why he couldn't get the cath in but urine was able to get out. He suspected some sort of scar tissue or stricture had occurred at some point over the last month. The surgery went well and he was peeing a very good stream afterwards in the vet clinic.

So now we are in recovery mode and I hope that this has fixed Theodore for good and he won't have any problems from here on out!

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theodore is home! He seems very happy at the moment! I got a bit of a shock looking at the wound site, it looks terrible. I guess it wasn't what I was expecting really. The vet called us late last night to explain what happened. When we bought him in, the vet sedated so that he could put a catheter in. However he couldn't thread it in any further than a quarter of an inch even though he could express a very thin stream. His bladder was full so the surgery had to be done. The vet doesn't fully understand why he couldn't get the cath in but urine was able to get out. He suspected some sort of scar tissue or stricture had occurred at some point over the last month. The surgery went well and he was peeing a very good stream afterwards in the vet clinic.

So now we are in recovery mode and I hope that this has fixed Theodore for good and he won't have any problems from here on out!
Theodore has been through a lot and I pray he can be a healthy, happy boy! Kisses and Hugs to you Theodore!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad to hear that the surgery was successful and that he is home and doing well. You must be so relieved and happy to have him back. Positive vibes and warm thoughts for a full recovery!