Urinary Blockage feel sad and helpless

Chester boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our baby boy Chester who is around 2 years old, has now had a second blockage after just 3 months.
We have kept him on the strict diet, of Royal Canine SO Veterinary wet food, and the occasional dry food Veterinary version as well mainly as a treat.

We previously lived in an apartment and Chester was always an indoor cat, except for hanging out on the balcony.
He blocked back in July this year for the first time which shocked us as we had no idea what this even was.
The vets did a great job to unblock him and put him on the Strict diet which they said would be for life, or risk him blocking again.
Around a month later we moved to a small house, where Chester seemed happy, he now had a little garden to play in and hunt lizards, and generally looked happy. We have dogs on either side of us, but they are so friendly never bark at Chester, and he is not fazed by them.

So last week I noticed Chester was acting a bit strange, trying to urinate in the bathtub, on the laundry, but was apart from that acting normally. However last Monday in the morning he was licking his genital area and was vocalizing and crying just like the first time, we were shocked and felt so sad, and said oh no not again, after we had done everything right for him. We rushed him to the vet, who confirmed he was fully blocked again.
We agreed to help him and do the surgery again to unblock him.

He spent 2 nights in hospital, and when he came home, he looked a bit weak and sad but was slowly getting better, eating, playing, and doing good wee.
However yesterday he looked a bit down, and not happy, doing a few small wee's, but in the 24 hour period a good size wee.

When we picked him up, the vet said that he will probably block again, which our heart sank to hear.
We just feel that we are on borrowed time, and it breaks our heart that if Chester blocks again, that we may have to put him to sleep, which will be so hard for us, like it is for anyone, he is just a baby, and we hoped to have a long happy life with him.
The vet has suggested that there is a procedure called Perineal Urethrostomy, and the success rate is very high, while there are no guarantees that he won't block again, it will drastically reduce the odds in his favor.

He said the hardest part is the wearing of the the E collar ?? for 2 weeks after surgery, and also a risk of infections in the future, which can be cleared up easily.

We are just feeling helpless right now, just not sure what to do, the expensive costs put aside, we ask ourselves should we keep putting poor Chester through this pain and suffering, where there are no guarantees? or just pray that he won't block again, and if he does then, just put him to sleep.
Having studied this problem now, we see so many people go through this, but just wanted some advice, re the Perineal Urethrostomy, if someone has been in the same situation and went down this road? and would recommend it?

Thank you so much for any advice.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no answers but I understand your dilemma, as do most of us here at TCS. For symptom relief, you can ask a holistic vet about using marshmallow root. Others here recommend cornsilk and D-mannose. Prayers and vibes for Team Chester!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What litter are you using? Some vets do not address litter as the issue but I've found it an important factor. I recommend anything that is not clay or pine, but remember lower dust is best.

Do you have at least two boxes? Some cats like to poo and pee in separate boxes and will hold it too long.

If he was put on prescription food in July 2022, he hasn't had a full year of it to dissolve all the crystals. It takes at least a a full year to do that.

Did the vet tell you what type of crystals he has?

Jaxpax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a boy that frequently became blocked and taking him to the vet each time was not just a fortune but not a practical long-term solution. I got a supplement called Natura Pets Break it Up from Chewy and I swear it’s the only thing that worked for us. It was very obvious when he was starting to block again (started randomly growling/meowing a lot and licking down there) and we’d start giving him the supplements in churu treats and literally within 24-48 hours every time he was significantly better. I only gave it to him for the recommended duration and I haven’t had to use it in over a year, it seems like he outgrew whatever was initially causing the problem (we did try food changes/prescription food but that never helped) but there were 4 times over the span of about two years that I used it for him and it was a literal lifesaver. I’ve recommended it a lot over the years, it’s worth looking into (under the guidance of your vet, I believe the type of crystals he has does matter), I believe there’s other brands too as I eventually started getting it from amazon and saw a bunch of others pop up. Wishing you luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chester boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, will ask our vet about this treatment, thank you so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chester boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What litter are you using? Some vets do not address litter as the issue but I've found it an important factor. I recommend anything that is not clay or pine, but remember lower dust is best.

Do you have at least two boxes? Some cats like to poo and pee in separate boxes and will hold it too long.

If he was put on prescription food in July 2022, he hasn't had a full year of it to dissolve all the crystals. It takes at least a a full year to do that.

Did the vet tell you what type of crystals he has?
Hi yes, he has 2 litter boxes, we tried a new one a while ago, called Oz Pet All-natural Pine cat litter,
and when he used it, it would dissolve, but we have now gone back to the normal litter as we need to keep an eye on to see how big his pee is, but you say not to use pine litter.

The first time about 3 months ago the vet said it was a plug, and crystals, didn't say exactly which, and again the same this time when he blocked last week.
Yes, he only started the Veterinary Royal Canin SO Urinary 3 months ago, plus we were giving him the dry food of the same version for variety, but now strictly the wet food only, which is sad that he eats the same food every day, but he likes it.

It's just a constant concern, that even though we are doing the right thing, he may block again, then we have to make the tough decision. Thankyou

Edel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi yes, he has 2 litter boxes, we tried a new one a while ago, called Oz Pet All-natural Pine cat litter,
and when he used it, it would dissolve, but we have now gone back to the normal litter as we need to keep an eye on to see how big his pee is, but you say not to use pine litter.

The first time about 3 months ago the vet said it was a plug, and crystals, didn't say exactly which, and again the same this time when he blocked last week.
Yes, he only started the Veterinary Royal Canin SO Urinary 3 months ago, plus we were giving him the dry food of the same version for variety, but now strictly the wet food only, which is sad that he eats the same food every day, but he likes it.

It's just a constant concern, that even though we are doing the right thing, he may block again, then we have to make the tough decision. Thankyou
Hi! I know how you feel. My 5 yo baby boy has just had his catheter removed and he is still suffering from cyctite symptoms and pee leaking after it.
Please Google the idiopathic cyctite in cats as it is one of the major causes of blockage and relapses. There are some good explanations and images of how it works..
You will find some very good food supplements that help keep the bladder sane and thus not blocking. For example Urocline VetExpert and Feliway Cystease. There are others if these are not available in your region. You can see the main ingredients. Our cats need this glucosamine to keep healthy bladders as they tend to get irritated by whatever (sand, stones..).
And one more very important thing is stress management + water intake. What you do with food is good but it’s not enough. Very often it has nothing to do with food but lack of hydration and hidden stress. And cheer up - as the cats get older they don’t have such severe symptoms or they don’t have relapses at all!

Edel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I forgot to add. If his analyses don’t show important stones / crystals he may be blocked because of spasms. It’s important to give antispasmodic pills once it occurs. After the first pill today my cat stopped meowing and running to litter boxes (which looked like the second blockage. He finally relaxed and urine comes out by small quantities. I wonder why my vet didn’t give it in the first place :( He gave it only today, 6 days following the obstruction.. and only upon my request after I spent these 6 days reading articles about the causes of blockage and how to help .. They all mention stopping the spasms.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C Chester boy In my experience, pine litters can cause plugs and blockages are they are quite dusty. Paper would really be the best, but wheat and corn litters work well also. (I did find the easiest way to transition would be to use paper pellets and put a bit of corn of wheat litter on top for cushion)

3 months is not long enough that all the crystals would be dissolved from the urinary food.

Are you adding water to the food? If he will eat it like that extra water is great.

You can also take a warm wet paper towel once a day and wipe his private area. This helps to keep it clean, but also helps teach him to clean it better.

You can call the vet office and ask the type of crystals :)

Edel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes in addition to all I mentioned my cat receives also the non-steroid anti-inflammatory (but not for long as they have side effects).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes in addition to all I mentioned my cat receives also the non-steroid anti-inflammatory (but not for long as they have side effects).
That's great to hear! You've taken many good steps so far. It's really hard and scary to be patient while the rest of the crystals dissolve and come out. (Hopefully dissolve more than anything)

Here's another link that's helpful: Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care

If you ask for the type of crystals, when you next speak to the vet, that will help us be able to provide more specific advice as well. 🐱

See what ends up working for you litter wise. To change the litter, I recommend filling one of your boxes full of new litter and keeping one with the old litter. Then, take a poo from the old box and put it in the new box. It may take a few days to a few weeks for your cat to feel confident trying it out.

If you choose a pellet litter, use something like corn or wheat that's more grainy on top for at least a few months.

I also had good success with the walnut shell litter.