URI with bloody nose

newadopter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

We adopted a 1.5yo male cat from the local shelter last weekend and took him to the vet yesterday. Had temp of 104.4 and was diagnosed with a URI. Received sub-q fluids and is now on Veraflox. His overall mood has improved. But his sneezing/sniffling has gotten to be the worst it's been - to the point that a little bit of blood came out of his nostril today. Eyes very runny and I notice a little bump or bubble under his nose (maybe mucous build up?) Is this normal with a bad URI? The vet said he may get worse before he gets better. What should we do? Current vet closed til Monday, not sure if this warrants emergency...

I also posted a few days ago (with more background) under the "Behavior" section:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/310883/newly-adopted-cat-and-so-i-cant-tell-if-behavior-is-normal

Any help appreciated! New cat adopters and not quite sure what to do:)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call the vet today and explain what's going on with him?  He might need some nose drops.  If you can't, keep a close eye on him.  If he declines, get him to the emergency vet.  In the meantime, you can steam him in the bathroom to help clear his nose.  Get the bathroom nice and steamy, turn off the water, then sit in the bathroom with him until the steam clears.  You can also use Little Remedies Little Noses saline DROPS.  Just one drop in each nostril a couple of times a day should help him flush that stuff out. 

As for the bubble, that sounds like something else is going on and needs to be addressed by the vet.  Keep an eye on that and if it ruptures or starts to ooze, then he definitely needs to get to the vet.  Sounds like he might have herpes which is the underlying cause of the URI.