Uri - Don't Know What Else To Do - Sorry, Long

txcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am hoping some of you with chronic URI kitties might have some advice.

Our 8 year old neutered male is negative for FIV, felV and other bad stuff, but he has stomatitis and what appears to be a compromised immune system. We had to have all of his teeth removed shortly after we took him in (he was a stray) and he was doing fine for a while, though he also has herpes virus and caught the sniffles from time to time.

A couple years ago, his neck lymph nodes got huge and he had major URI symptoms, congestion, sneezing, etc. Plus a really swollen, inflamed eye. It took a while, but with supportive care he got over it though the eye took months to get back to normal. We ended up using anti viral eye drops and even those took a while to help.

He has been exhibiting URI symptoms again for weeks now, thankfully his eyes are okay this time. But sneezing, congestion, elevated temperature. This time, he stopped eating and drinking. The vet clinic gave him fluids and decongestants and mirtaz gel you rub in the ear for appetite stimulation and an herbal med called Wei Qi booster which is supposed to strengthen the immune system. He is now drinking plenty on his own. And he is eating a little bit, but not nearly enough so I still have to syringe feed him several times a day.

He always had great litter box habits, now he sometimes pees where he lies, probably because he is so out of it from the decongestant and appetite stimulant and generally being sick. He is still somewhat active, but not like he used to be.

The vet says since it is viral, antibiotics will not do any good. We did try them last time but he had gastro reactions (vomiting, diarrhea) to several we tried. She indicated we'll just have to be patient and hope for the best.

He is just not himself, I can tell he does not feel well and I don't know what to do to help him and I am so afraid he won't recover this time. Would appreciate any pointers/advice from those of you who have first hand experience.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently dealing with 2 URI kitties. One is being treated with antibiotics and the other has Feline Herpes.
For the one with Feline Herpes, when we adopted him he also had an infection that needed antibiotics for a secondary infection. So just because your little one has herpes does not mean that they may not need antibiotics or an anti-fungal. Could you get a sample of his mucus and have the vet run a culture on it? That would help determine if any bacteria or fungus is present. Some infections both bacterial and fungal, can be very stubborn and need extensive treatment to get rid of.
Ours no longer needs antibiotics but is still sneezing periodically throughout the day, the Lysine supplements have seemed to help lessen his symptoms now that I'm more consistent and have increased his dose.
For my little one who is on her 4th round of antibiotics, she will be sent to get a culture done if this final round does not work. The antibiotics would help but as soon as the round was done the symptoms would slowly get bad again. I feel so bad for her!
We adopted them recently from the shelter, and they had a very resistant strain of (I can't remember the name) that affected several of the cats in the shelter.

If your little one won't eat because he can't smell his food, a good steaming really helps, even if just temporary. Run the hot water in your shower and bring your kitty into the bathroom and close the door for 15-20 minutes (stay in there with him so he's stay's safe) several times a day. It might be beneficial to do it prior to feeding time so he can smell his food better and hopefully want to eat more.
Are you feeding wet food? Adding water and warming (just warm, NOT HOT) the food can help entice him to eat.

I'm tagging Furballsmom Furballsmom for you, she has a wonderful list of things that can help entice a kitty to eat more.

I have also used saline nose drops to help loosen up mucus in my kitties nose as well. You can get baby saline (PURE, NO OTHER INGREDIENTS) that comes in individual portioned droppers. It was very convenient and helped get stuff moving.
If your kitty has been peeing himself, be sure to clean and dry the area well so he does not get urine scald or a UTI on top of everything else:(

I hope this helps a bit, If I think of anything else, I'll come back.

I hope your kitty starts to feel better soon.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you're having to go through this with your guy. I have a herpes positive kitty and she gets URI-like symptoms when the seasons change, when the weather changes, when the wind blows from the south and brings all the mountain cedar pollen, and on days when the humidity is high.

We give Hannah an antihistamine every day. We also give her colloidal silver. When she has excessive sneezing, she gets a drop of prescription drops. To help decrease congestion, you can steam your kitty in the bathroom Just get the bathroom good and steamy, turn off the water and then sit in the bathroom with the kitty until the steam dissipates. I've even put them in a carrier and put in the bathroom with me while I shower. Little Noses baby saline nose drops can help clear congestion as well.

Most likely, he is not eating because he cannot smell his food. Try warming it up a little bit or adding warm water to wet food to enhance the aroma. We add water and also allow the bowl to sit in a warm water bath to keep food warm while it's being prepared. Try offering plain meat baby food, either chicken or turkey. I like BeechNut brand because it doesn't contain any thickener, but Gerber works, too.

Is he on any type of maintenance program for his herpes? It can help with flare ups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, this is so hard. We are going back to the vet office in an hour. His breathing is just not good and he is really out of it. He has been making this weird swallowing sound since this started and I keep telling everyone I think he has a throat infection, but the vet says since he had a bad reaction with diarrhea and vomiting from several antibios last time, she does not think it's a good idea. But really, at this point he is declining and we have nothing to lose. I have never ever seen him this sick and it can't go on. He is suffering and we either have to help him get better or release him. I am so afraid.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, hopefully the vet will be able to do something that will help.
I wonder if it would be beneficial to do a nasal flush while you're there?
I would ask to take samples of her nose mucus and a swab of her throat and have it sent away for a culture (I know I already said this, sorry) but make sure you tell them to test for BOTH bacteria and fungus. I honestly don't know if they automatically test for both or not, but just to be sure.

I really hope you find some answers and they are treatable. Also, if this vet won't try to take things further to try and figure this out, maybe a second opinion would help.

txcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he recovers from this i'll ask her about more testing. She is usually pretty thorough and we do trust her. The root cause of all of this is his compromised immune system.

It sucks so much, he is the sweetest cat, just an orange ball of love and affection and purrs. He loves everyone, two legged and four legged. He should have years yet, he is only 8 and most of our cats live to 17 or older.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're probably heading to vet as I write this (or already there) but please come back and tell us what the vet says.
I also wanted to ask you what is causing his compromised immune system? Did he have something happen to him as a kitten? Was he malnourished before you adopted him? Does he have tummy issues/poor absorption?
I just can't accept "bad immune system" as an answer to health issues (I work in health care) and it might take time but I firmly believe that there is an answer and treatment to any auto-immune/poor immune system issue. Not necessarily a cure but at least management.
Again, please come back. I'm sending you well wishes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, and thank you Jem Jem for this...
I'm so keeping my fingers crossed for you and your baby!!
Here is the list, I'm hoping something helps you;
Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also, if you haven't already you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making these recipes - they're just as viable for an adult cat as for kittens;
Kitten-Rescue.com

These below can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, as mentioned, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

txcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our little guy is gone. I just can't believe it, can't wrap my head around it.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am SO sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is hard and I hope you can find peace. :vibes::heartshape:

Not that this is directly related but, I wanted to take the time to try and spread awareness to all cat owners because it is a relatively new test available and a lot of vets do not even consider it when treating a cat with URIs or symptoms mimicking a URI. My poor Richard had chronic URIs for 5 months. He is 7 months old and he has been in to the vet dozens of times and had numerous tests done. He has been into the emergency vet twice for subcutaneous fluids (dehydration and loss of appetite). The problem is a lot of vets want to manage the symptoms without knowing what type of infection the cat has. Richard had an infection that was never going to go away unless a specific antibiotic was used for a very specific time frame and dosage. There was no way to guess this treatment plan or improvise. The test is called a Respiratory PCR Panel. It identifies dozens of different bacterial and viral infections including common ones like corona virus and feline herpes. Richard was diagnosed with Chlamydophila Felis (cat chlamydia) and was on doxycycline for 5 weeks. Now he has been symptom free and perfectly healthy for over a month. He couldn't go more than a week without having URI symptoms return before successful diagnosis and treatment. The test costs around $200. Please pleaseeeee spread awareness so our beloved cats can at least have a chance to break the chronic URI cycle!