URGENT. WORRIED. PLEASE HELP. PLEASE :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose it would depend if he takes pills well, or if he's better with hiding powder in his food. I think I'd go with the powder---it seems like most cats don't mind it in their food, and trying to give 1/4 of a pill can get dicey. . .:tongue2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suppose it would depend if he takes pills well, or if he's better with hiding powder in his food. I think I'd go with the powder---it seems like most cats don't mind it in their food, and trying to give 1/4 of a pill can get dicey. . .
That's true. As I don't quite now the form of the pill. It's the NOW brand - does that say anything?

Again, how much would I have to give him? 1/4 tsp?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi LDG,

So, I took a walk to my local health store and noticed that they have 2 types of Taurine: capsule and powder form. I was stumped.
Which one would be better/easier to use? He is a 6-7 pound cat. I think the capsules might be 1000mg?

Thanks!
I find the powder easier to use.

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much should I use for a 6-7 pound cat?

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It should list the amount of mg of powder per teaspoon, or half teaspoon, etc. on the bottle. You want around 200 to 250mg.
Perfect! Thanks !:)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not home, but I believe that would be 1/8 tsp. I am pretty sure it's 500mg per 1/4 tsp

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should have the cat checked out at the vet. When my cat started vomiting a lot and the vomit smelled like "poop" as you described, I took her to the vet and found out that she was in kidney failure. Her creatinine (?) level was twice what it should be. She responded well with subcutaneous fluids and medication to flush out her system.

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should have the cat checked out at the vet. When my cat started vomiting a lot and the vomit smelled like "poop" as you described, I took her to the vet and found out that she was in kidney failure. Her creatinine (?) level was twice what it should be. She responded well with subcutaneous fluids and medication to flush out her system.
Was she vomiting smelly puke often? Hooligan really only vomited a smelly one on the first day...and it was only one (his first puke) the rest of his vomits did not smell. 

I understand that there are also a whole slew of symptoms, that my cat doesn't have. 

He's also on a moisture rich diet (raw). The last time I brought him to the vet to get blood tests was between 2-3 months ago. The results were perfect. 

I just want to make sure of other symptoms you saw in your cat before I go ahead and spend a ton of money on blood tests.

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 HOOLIGAN UPDATE:

He made it through another night without vomiting! After throwing away the wheatgrass, he didn't even have a foamy puke!

He seemed like he was back to normal this morning, super alert and yelling for his food. Once I put his plate in front of him - he scarfed it down! His appetite is definitely still there. 

He has yet to poop though...so I'm still waiting on that...

When would you guys suggest I began varying his protein? I have one container of the HC (horse/chicken) mix left - I definitely can go grab more...would it be alright to feed him HC for another 4 days?

Also, there was a mention of kidney failure and...although his only symptom was vomit (1 smelly vomit and, really, 1 full day of vomit)...I'm just worried about it now. I'm kinda fighting with myself to go spend 200$ on a blood test...or not 

I just wish these guys could talk, ey?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is probably not the kidneys if the smelly vomit happened only once. My cat that had the kidney issues became violently ill one day and vomited really smelly vomit about 7-8 times in one day. She was lethargic as well and had no appetite. One of the cats that I have now has a very sensitive stomach and is on a vet prescribed diet--Royal Canin Gastrointestinal.

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 UPDATE:

Hooligan is doing MUCH better. He's kept all of his food down and is acting like a darn little butt - like he usually does! 

I'm going to go grab some Taurine + more Probiotics at the health store today - and, I'm gonna begin the Taurine tonight. In his HC mix, there are no organs - therefore, Taurine is very much needed! 

3 more days on his HC mix and I will slowly start getting him on other proteins - grass fed proteins. I know he doesn't like going near Venison, but I would very much like to try and entice him

Do you guys have any tips/suggestions on doing so?

Should I create a new thread? I would still like to update Hooligan's process from different proteins. It's great to know I get still get the best advice no matter what!!

Thanks for all your help 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY he feels so much better!

I'm a little confused and concerned. The HC mix has no organs? I thought the mixes you use meet the 80/10/5/5 PMR guideline? Or you were using this temporarily, just while he got over the hairball crisis?

You might want to start a thread in the raw forum to detail exactly what you've been feeding, what he's tried and had issues with (or, if with 20/20 hindsight it might have been hairballs, not the food), and what your feeding options are.

Organs are normally part of the diet, yes?

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
YAY he feels so much better!

I'm a little confused and concerned. The HC mix has no organs? I thought the mixes you use meet the 80/10/5/5 PMR guideline? Or you were using this temporarily, just while he got over the hairball crisis?

You might want to start a thread in the raw forum to detail exactly what you've been feeding, what he's tried and had issues with (or, if with 20/20 hindsight it might have been hairballs, not the food), and what your feeding options are.

Organs are normally part of the diet, yes?
The HC mix  (horse meat, chicken carcass) does not contain organs. I was using this temporarily because it was the only thing he needs to be keeping down. In order to give him some variety, I would throw in some HC here and there. 

I will start a thread in the raw forum - definitely. I mean, most of his issues could very well be hairball related. Writing it down in the forum will definitely make it easier to tell. 

Organs are definitely part of the diet. Before he started puking, he was on raw that had organs. 

How long would you say I should keep the HC going before I give him something different? By adding the Taurine, that makes up for the lack of organs - right?

Thanks!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, the taurine doesn't make up for the lack of organs. Liver is a required organ, primarily because of the vitamin A, but organs in general are just nutrition-packed little packages. :lol3:

Feeding hearts regularly can supplant the need to supplement with taurine, but hearts are a muscle organ, not a secreting organ. They would replace some of the meat in a diet, not any of the organs.

It's probably best if we chat about this in the raw forum. :)

melrai

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, the taurine doesn't make up for the lack of organs. Liver is a required organ, primarily because of the vitamin A, but organs in general are just nutrition-packed little packages.

Feeding hearts regularly can supplant the need to supplement with taurine, but hearts are a muscle organ, not a secreting organ. They would replace some of the meat in a diet, not any of the organs.

It's probably best if we chat about this in the raw forum.
Thanks!! 

I'm gonna post in the raw forum soon!