Urgent, Please Help: Pulling Fur Out

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, Can someone please offer me some help or advice I have three cats two males, both neutered and one female who is spayed within the last month one, if not both of the boys have been chasing the female cornering her and pulling out clumps of fur. Afterwards she just slinks down to find my partner or I, all quiet, sad looking and disheveled with bits of fur sticking up when we go upstairs there's about a small handful of fur on the ground. This happens randomly sometimes once a day other times four or five, one day it could be in the morning and then the next in the evening.

I have tried searching google and looking in my cat and kitten help books (one cat is 2 and a half, the other two are both 1 and a half years old) but cannot find anything. I really need some advice as I'm getting quite worried about her.

Thanks in advance

Miss Kitty xx

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did this behavior start after her surgery? Cats smell different after staying at the vet for a while, and the companions at home will sometimes not accept it when it comes back due to the scent. You may have to reintroduce your girl. Have a look at the several suggestions given in the stickies at the beginning of this forum.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miss_kitty_

Hey, Can someone please offer me some help or advice I have three cats two males, both neutered and one female who is spayed within the last month one, if not both of the boys have been chasing the female cornering her and pulling out clumps of fur. Afterwards she just slinks down to find my partner or I, all quiet, sad looking and disheveled with bits of fur sticking up when we go upstairs there's about a small handful of fur on the ground. This happens randomly sometimes once a day other times four or five, one day it could be in the morning and then the next in the evening.

I have tried searching google and looking in my cat and kitten help books (one cat is 2 and a half, the other two are both 1 and a half years old) but cannot find anything. I really need some advice as I'm getting quite worried about her.

Thanks in advance

Miss Kitty xx
You should be concerned for her.....From what you have already suggested, she is obviously being bullied and not only traumatized but physically abused with chunks of fur missing. How were they originally introduced to each other? Did you keep them separate at all after she was spayed?

noisette

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow... maybe separate her from them for a while until you get to the bottom of this. You don't want them to continue abusing her she could get seriously injured or very depressed. Contact your vet, she/he could have some information that could help, also I'm having a similar bullying problem with my cats and a lot of people here have suggested Feliway Diffusers to help calm them. I just ordered a few off of Amazon so I'm not sure how well it really works yet, but it might be worth a shot.
Sorry your babies aren't getting along.
Hope this helps

~Noi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss_kitty_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have both been neutered for about a year Jasper(the younger male) was done in september 09 and Millie (my little lady) was done at the beginning of december 09 and as I said the problem only began about a month ago. Nothing has really changed apart from the fact that I am out of the house two and a half more days than I used to be but that started in september when term began, do you think this could be affecting them?

I have a feliway spray but have not tried the plug ins, I have been increasing play time with all 3 of the cats but it doesn't seem to help. My vets aren't really the happily answer question kind they just make you take them in charge you and barely even look at the cat so I'm hesitant to rush to that option (plus none of them like travelling much)

At the minute I am trying to keep them apart as much as possible but they start crying for each other, the situation is just really strange because sometimes they are fine, they get along and groom each other, sleep curled up next to each other and then...bam...another clump of fur.
Someone suggested maybe it was some kind of sexual tension, like maybe the female is (or would have been if not spayed) in heat and maybe he's just used to pulling at her now, like a routine? Does this sound plausible?

Thank you to everyone who replied, and thanks in advance for any help again

Miss Kitty x

P.S Sorry I have only just read over my first post and realized it looks like I was saying she had only been spayed within the last month, when in fact as stated at the beginning of this one it was a year ago she was done