Urgent! Please Help Me!!

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few years ago, I trapped a kitten at my local park. In the trap with the kitten was a feral male cat. I could not find a home for the feral, so I ended up keeping both as my own pets. The kitten has ended up as a very social guy, but the other cat, JP, is probably best described as semi-feral. He does NOT allow me to pick him up, but I can brush him and occasionally he will give me a pat on my back or hand. A few days ago, I underwent surgery for cancer--I had to have a radical hysterectomy. The night before the surgery, the semi-feral cat darted out my door. I literally--and I mean literally--stayed up all night looking for him to no avail. I set up a camera in my garage, left food in there, and left the garage door partially open. Though I am not supposed to, I've spent every night since I got home looking for JP with a flashlight. I cannot stay out longer than 5-10 minutes, so I take breaks to rest. I did see him in my neighbor's yard, but he would not let me near him. I set a trap where I saw him, got up at 2 am to check the trap, only to find a possum. This morning, my other cat started hissing and making all kinds of noises. I looked out and saw JP sitting on my step to my bedroom door. I put my other cat in another room, and dashed outside to coax him in. I brought treats, his favorite toy, and his favorite brush. But he did not let me near him. I have a trap set up with tuna (his favorite) in my garage. I am so despondent. I should be concentrating on my health, but I am so upset over JP. I am afraid all my activity will rip my incisions. However, I cannot have friends or family help me b/c JP is TERRIFIED of everyone but me. It has to be me looking for him. This is so stressful on me.

Should I leave the set trap in my garage? The camera has shown he has gone in the garage a few times, but he is spending most of his time in my neighbor's yard.

Is my other cat going to scare him away now? I lost JP once before for two days, and when he came back, my other cat had a hissy fit b/c I guess he did not recognize JP's smell anymore.

I am not crazy about the trap I have, but it came highly recommended. It is a Tru-catch. But I think some animal was able to get the food out without setting off the trap b/c the food was gone, the trap door was shut, and no one was inside. I know I set it properly b/c I watched a video on YouTube on how to set it.

Should I buy a heavy net to throw over him? He lets me get close enough to brush him once or twice, but then runs away. I don't know if I could handle a net given my condition, but I am willing to try ANYTHING at this point.

Should I buy more traps? I have a ton of wildlife in my backyard, so I know I would be catching everything, but maybe one trap won't do it?

Please help me!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should try to rest and follow doctor's orders by not doing anything you shouldn't right now.

It sounds like JP is staying close yet enjoying his freedom. Continue to feed him in the garage, and to offer treats at your bedroom door.

He sounds trap-savvy, so you might want to forget about trapping him until you are stronger and your incision is healed.

Using a pole net is useful when a cat will not go in a trap. You might try this eventually.

It's a good thing he is staying close. Is he neutered?

Once you bring him in again your other cat may hiss until JP begins to smell familiar again. This usually doesn't last long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2--Yes, JP is neutered and utd on his shots. I honestly cannot rest until he is back home! I don't have children, so my dog and my cats are very important to me. But I am feeling really tired today, and I don't think I will have the strength to set the trap in my neighbor's yard, check it, and wander around the neighborhood looking for him. Today, I'm just exhausted.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think JP will do fine outside. He's a savvy boy. Focus on your health. Gotta get better first if you want to take care of the cats. Maybe once you're better a drop trap would work.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have inside/outside cats that enjoy being outside. One of them often comes inside, eats, sleeps, naps with me and then wants back out. She will be gone for most of the day, somewhere around the property. It is what she likes doing. A feral cat that is afraid of other people will use you as his main contact. He will come back to eat and to visit. I would not try and trap him at all. It will just make him afraid. Instead invite him to come in the door on his own if he wants. Eventually he will come back in. Once he learns that he can come and go at will he will come to the door when you call waiting to come in. Mine do. Treat him like a guest and not a prisoner and he will be much more at home. I know a lot of people disagree with this but my cats even know their names and understand if I tell them to come in. Sometimes they have to think about it a little because they are occupied doing cat things. But I call their name, hold the door open and just tell them "come in now" and they rush right by me happy to be back inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noelle_W

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: JP has been caught. It took me about an hour and a half to corral him. I was out with a flashlight looking for him, and he meowed at me. Then, I'd lose him again, and he'd meow at me again so I could locate him. It was like a game of Marco Polo, lol. I tried everything to lure him--treats, toys, tuna...but what worked was his favorite brush. He came close to let me brush him, and I kept inching closer to the door. Finally he was close enough that I could scooch him in my door, and then I quickly closed it. I think he wants to be an indoor/outdoor cat, but he is front declawed and I am a worrier. Anyway, thank you for all your help. I now can concentrate on healing and gaining strength! Thanks again.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: JP has been caught. It took me about an hour and a half to corral him. I was out with a flashlight looking for him, and he meowed at me. Then, I'd lose him again, and he'd meow at me again so I could locate him. It was like a game of Marco Polo, lol. I tried everything to lure him--treats, toys, tuna...but what worked was his favorite brush. He came close to let me brush him, and I kept inching closer to the door. Finally he was close enough that I could scooch him in my door, and then I quickly closed it. I think he wants to be an indoor/outdoor cat, but he is front declawed and I am a worrier. Anyway, thank you for all your help. I now can concentrate on healing and gaining strength! Thanks again.
:clap::grouphug::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump::clap2::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: