Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I don't understand why a Canadian company would buy wheat from China! That makes no sense! What's wrong with good old wholesome Canadian wheat?
Likely ( not proven) ... Menu used a broker aka middle man to supply they didnt find the china wheat themselves

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been doing a lot of reading and listening since this all started and one thing that sticks out for me is:
It hasn't been proven yet that the Wheat has anything to do with the tainted food. It seems to me that this is still only an assumption based on the timeline rather than a fact.

The Cornell Team that discovered the Aminopterin said they only found that by testing the food itself, not any individual ingredients and that will be their next step; to test ingredients to see where it originated from.

This has certinly been a trying ordeal for anyone with pets and I imagine will continue to be for some time yet. I'm sure there will be many things we wonder about and some we may even find the truth about eventually, but in the meantime all we can do is use care when trying to provide good nutrition to our little furry loved ones and not forget the revelations as time passes.

3cats1dog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read an article on MSN.com on the recall that was from MSNBC, Associated Press updated 42 minutes ago. It stated that there is a recall for all 95 brands "cuts and gravey" foods regardless of when it was produced. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17754681/

Since my cats have eaten one of the 95 recalled I have to take them to the vet tomorrow because my oldest has been vomiting every couple of days & my other two have each spit up once but over a week ago. Do you really think its necessary for the two to have check ups? I really care about my cats but I don't want to over react.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing- rat poison. Whatever the source of the poison, the wheat or something else, Menu Foods apparently doesn't test ingredients before using them. The company relies on the assurance of suppliers and middlemen that the products they buy are safe.

Realistically this will probably not result in changes in the regulation of pet food companies. I hope it's a wake up call for them to be more diligent in inspecting or testing ingredients before using them in food.

I was at Pets Discount again this morning before I read the news about the rat poison. There are still pouches of Nutro cuts and gravy food on the shelves. I thought the latest reports said all of it was being recalled. Maybe the news hasn't reached Hawaii yet?

I'm so sad for all the kitties and owners who have been affected by this. I can't imagine what the owners are going through. I'm trying to think positive thoughts for all.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The problem with testing is: you have to know what you are testing for. I suspect that is why it took so long to figure out what was causing the problem.

I doubt this was an intentional act. Just a mistaken use of the poison somewhere along the process.

Unfortunately, it is frightening and so sad for those who lost their special companions.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it is overreacting if you think something might be wrong. IMO, it is much, much better to be safe than sorry. Your trusted can assist you in answering any question about which foods are safe as well, so I don't think you are making a mistake by having your little ones seen now.

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

As I read it, the brands are all store brands -- not name brands. So unless you're buying cheap store-brand food, you're probably safe. At least that's how it sounds to me...
VERY untrue. Major brands are affected as well

Go to www.menufoods.com/recall

ladybass0711

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

I don't understand why a Canadian company would buy wheat from China! That makes no sense! What's wrong with good old wholesome Canadian wheat?
Its not nessasarily the canadian plant that is affected by this. Its the US plants, and thusly they would not be able to get wheat from Canada unless they import it. Probably could get the wheat cheaper from China.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ok folks this is not a confirmed report, ask yourself who is behind this rumor, what they have to gain by speaking out without revealing independent sources.

Remember the Swiffer nonsense? That the product was poisonous to pets? Turned out a competitor started that rumor to take down the rival company.

In the present state of hysteria around now because of this recall, it would only take one person with a scheming mind to plant seeds of doubt.

This would not be the first time that IAMS has suffered attacks, but each time there were ulterior motives as to what happened,

Who Said "When you can keep your head while all others around you are losing theirs?"

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one actually said they thought PETA was behind this. Really. My own personal statement was that I wouldn't put it past them, but.. I thought the grain probably became contaminated, much like Nial had suggested. In fact, we agreed.

kotic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If aminopterin is the toxin involved in the poisonings I expect that investigators will expand from a focus on renal failure to other diagnoses such as liver failure. Aminopterin is a highly toxic substance that can affect other organs besides the kidneys, and renal failure is likely not the only fatal reaction to aminopterin in pet food. The media has focused on renal failure, but until now apparently no one has been looking for deaths resulting from other organ failures. I hope that veterinarians are not be so focused on renal failure that they dismiss the deaths of other pets with different symptoms that could be the result of aminopterin poisoning. I lost a beloved pet this week to what I believe was a reaction to a toxic agent, and he was on a diet of recalled Nutro pet food with “Best by†dates that matched those listed by Nutro.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ladybass -- Lest you think I'm an idiot: that post of mine that you refer to was from the first day of the scare, and the article as I saw it had been truncated (I later realized) by a break in my modem connection. So I hadn't read the clarifying paragraph... only the ambiguous one.

I didn't bother to post this information in my defense because the thread was growing so quickly, and I didn't want waste space on my own ego... but since you brought it up, that's the explanation.