Urgent :: Pet Food Recall... Urgent!!! - TOXIN FOUND

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Please folks..don't take this to politics! Something has gone terribly wrong, but until we know what, we have NO sure clue yet that it even is wheat gluten (and if it is, from which supplier and whether or not it is the same quality wheat gluten used in human foods) No, I do not think this is a case of tests being covertly run on our pets.
Amen! Thanks for saying one of the things I was thinking! Also, this company has it's head quarters maintained in Canada so the Canadian government would have to also have their hands in it. The whole thing is way far fetched.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

Wellness is not on the recall list but it is on the list of foods made by Menu Foods. I don't know which Menu Foods facility it is made at. It does not contain wheat gluten and is supposedly "safe". I am not feeding my cats Wellness until the source of contamination is definitely determined.

On another note, I was at Pets Discount today buying Natural Balance food. I noticed that there was a *lot* of Nutro pouches still on the shelves. I would hope/assume the dates and codes for these pouches fell outside the recall window. I did ask the clerk if they had received inquires about the recall. She said they had and were accepting returns from customers even if the food was not included in the recall.
I have a huge number of nutro chunks in gravy pouches. I am taking them back to the store. Since I didn't keep the receipt the store said they will give me in store credit-better than nothing, I guess.
I think I have over 40 of those pouches left.

pyewackette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like everyone I'm freaked out about all this---not that I ever fed my cats any of the cat food that is on the "official" list--but from what I understand they--the so-called experts seem to think it's related to the ingredient "wheat Gluten"--well, I've been feeding my two cats Fancy Feast and sure enough, guess what one of the ingredients is--now Wheat Gluten isn't listed as part of the ingredients for something like the cuts 'n' gravy for 9-lives--but now I'm hesitant about any pet food similar to it. Or am I just freaking out about this--all I know is that I think for awhile I'm going to feed my two cats human food for awhile, plus their favorite dry food since dry food doesn't seem to be a culprit.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woah! I'm not suggesting that the government was conducting a test -- I'm suggesting that if the problem is something to do with genetically altered ingredients, the government would not be in any hurry to reveal that, because of the damage it would do to that industry.

And I only speculate that the wheat might be genetically-altered because they keep insisting they can't find any contaminant to explain all this.

Sheesh! I'm not that big a conspiracy theorist!

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am feeding them solid gold tuna now-there is no gluten in it but the problem is there is only one viraety-tuna, and I bet they will get bored without any viraety.
But I have to give them wet food because they ask for it and I can't stand seeing their sad little faces if they don't get their wet food every morning and evening.

pyewackette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I don't believe there is a conspiracy thing either with the government--but neither do I trust the government--do you?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

I am feeding them solid gold tuna now-there is no gluten in it but the problem is there is only one viraety-tuna, and I bet they will get bored without any viraety.
But I have to give them wet food because they ask for it and I can't stand seeing their sad little faces if they don't get their wet food every morning and evening.
Solid gold kitty canned has three or four varietys ... the tuna is just one

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pyewackette

No I don't believe there is a conspiracy thing either with the government--but neither do I trust the government--do you?
The government doesn't control the pet food industry, for the most part. They are a self governed entity. It is now being questioned as to whether the government should gain more control and monitor Pet food more.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

The government doesn't control the pet food industry, for the most part. They are a self governed entity. It is now being questioned as to whether the government should gain more control and monitor Pet food more.
On a light note... I dont think the govt would do much in helping this situation ....

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

On a light note... I dont think the govt would do much in helping this situation ....
I just had to say.. I'm chuckling at that, Sharky.. but that's the only comment I'll make or it'll be political, hehe.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pyewackette

Oh I'm not touching that question with a 20 foot pole and a protective tabby in my arms...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to make people aware of something I saw tonight. We were at a retailer and while they had pulled ALL of the Eukanuba wet foods off the shelf, they had not pulled any (that I could tell) Iams, Nutro, Nutro Max, Nutro Naturals, or Science Diet. There were definitely varieties on the shelf, available for sale, that were included in the recall (slices/chunks & gravy, of all of those brands).

To be fair, I did not check the date/manufacturer codes on the food on the shelf. It's possible that it is either old or brand new, and thus not affected by the recall. But seeing as I don't remember the actual codes off the top of my head, it was rather disturbing to me to see all of that food still on the shelves.

Just a Buyer Beware message. Know what has been recalled.

P.S. I'm not naming the store that I saw this in because I don't know for sure that the food on the shelf was recalled, and I don't know if this is an isolated incident with this one store.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not convinced they would either but that's what they're looking into now. At least that is what was reported on ABC national news tonight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I just wanted to make people aware of something I saw tonight. We were at a retailer and while they had pulled ALL of the Eukanuba wet foods off the shelf, they had not pulled any (that I could tell) Iams, Nutro, Nutro Max, Nutro Naturals, or Science Diet. There were definitely varieties on the shelf, available for sale, that were included in the recall (slices/chunks & gravy, of all of those brands).

To be fair, I did not check the date/manufacturer codes on the food on the shelf. It's possible that it is either old or brand new, and thus not affected by the recall. But seeing as I don't remember the actual codes off the top of my head, it was rather disturbing to me to see all of that food still on the shelves.

P.S. I'm not naming the store that I saw this in because I don't know for sure that the food on the shelf was recalled, and I don't know if this is an isolated incident with this one store.
My local big box store had the same look... only all cuts and gravy was removed but all the other cans were placed back on the shelf...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to ask here really quick:

Sharky (especially) - if people were to feed their cats "human" food/tuna/you know what I mean/ what nutrients would the cats be missing? Or would the hard food be enough to provide those nutrients?

(Assuming you free-fed a "complete" hard food, and give about 5 ounces per day of canned per cat.)

I just don't want people to lost sight of the fact that cats need taurine and lots of other stuff probably that I don't even know about.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My local big box store had the same look... only all cuts and gravy was removed but all the other cans were placed back on the shelf...
They had an endcap of Nutro pouches that was nothing but cuts and gravy, though.
We just looked at the lists of recalled foods, and there were definitely some that we saw available for purchase on those lists.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

They had an endcap of Nutro pouches that was nothing but cuts and gravy, though.
We just looked at the lists of recalled foods, and there were definitely some that we saw available for purchase on those lists.
In my feed store I only found one type that was within the date codes ... but if they left all the pouches outside the recall out I will ask they be pulled just as a precaustion

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A new Petco opened near me. Man was that place a mess! They had pallets upon pallets of the recalled foods...they had gotten new shipments & had been re-stocking the shelves with the new shipments of the recalled foods. At least I found some canned food that should be "safe" to feed my kits.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The store I bought my food from just put the typed up recall notices up. But the food was still on the shelves.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is not isolated. I shopped for Natural Balance at a local chain pet store today. There was *lots* of Nutro and Eukanuba on the shelves and no notice that I could see regarding the recall. I hope/assume they have removed the affected food. I did ask the clerk if they had received inquires about the recall. She said they had and were accepting returns from customers even if the food was not included in the recall.