URGENT newborn help please!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thats great news!!! im so happy to hear that there all picking up . and they are lovely thank you for the update and the picture.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No there is light at the end of the tunnel stay POSITIVE
trust me it is worth it..

She looks so content and look at all the cute babies... That is what makes all the hard worth worth wild

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, that's such a darling picture. I've been monitoring this thread to keep up with the fate of the kitty fam. I'm so happy they're doing better. Congrats! What you're doing is so difficult.. and I know how difficult it is to lose one, especially when you've been hand feeding them and being their mommy. I had a couple that I tried to save.. and the teeny tiny survived for the longest time, and then suddenly died. I was so upset.

:
: and good vitality vibes to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today the kittens slowed down on gaining weight. the last 2 days they gained about a half ounce each average (cept the one that im forcing) today the average was only like .2 oz and one even lost today. I had to give them all baths with wet rags cause they were really dirty. I really really wish she would start cleaning them up. Anyone have this experience? Could she maybe start magically cleaning them up or is she just never gonna do it since she hasn't done it this long?

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HELP!!!

Last Night was really bad. Momma lucy meowed all night because she wanted out of the cage. She was screaming and clawing at the cage, she even knocked her water bowl over twice. She was just pacing around ignoring the babies. There wasn't really anything I could do besides clean up the water bowl when she dumped it. Finally she stopped being loud so I went to investigate she was sleeping in the litterbox where the kittens couldn't get to her!! At 8 am i took the litterbox out of the cage and she did finally lay down with them but this is clearly not her choice. Now I am at a loss of what to do. The kittens won't make it if she stops feeding them. If I give her the space she wants so she will be quiet she will ignore them and stay away from them. WHAT DO I DO???

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might have to give her space now. The kittens are over 2 weeks now right. Mom is tired and needs ME time. Let her out for a few hours you keeo an eye on the babies... Do this before bed and at least 1x during the day. Mom need this time to be her. I hate to say it but she does and knowing the babies need her she could hurt them in the long run. Let her have a few hours yet leave the cage door open to her to get in and out. She might suprise you and get in and out on her own

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of the kittens seem to have diarrhea today. It is yellow and runny and smells really bad. Momma is back to hanging out in the litterbox so they can't get to her and I am really low on formula and can't get any til tomorrow. Looks like we are going downhill again and fast.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im thinking that she really doesnt want much to do with her babys , it could be because she hasnt been well and nither has the babys , in the wild she would have left them to die. i dont know if anyone would agree with me but what i would do in this situation is take on the full mummy role myself. at 2 weeks old they need to be fed about every 2-3 hours i think. im not sure how much but it should tell you roughly on the back of the tin of kmr.
let her out of the cage and do has mumof3 has suggested leave the cage open , if after 2 hours she has not returned then i would start feeding them all myself , yes i know this is a lot of work , and especially what they have already been through. but if she dosnt want to be a mum theres not really much you can do to make her.
please do keep us updated. and i pray that everything turns out for the best.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to intervene and start bottle feeding. www.kitten-rescue.com will guide you. Sounds like the momcat isn't well and she could be also passing whatever is wrong with the kittens to them through her milk. Start the bottle feeding, recruit help from the neighbors if you have to, but get them off mom's milk. Some cats aren't meant to be moms. If she isn't cleaning them there is a reason. Get her spayed immediately. Her milk will drop after the surgery and in the meantime get the kittens fed.

junglebutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma Lucy seems to be doing much better. She is eating very well and she even seems to have put on a little weight. She is still feeding them even though I have been letting her out of the cage. They are strong enough now that when she walks out of the cage they follow her! It is so cute! I think I might try them back in the bathroom like I usually do with my fosters, and see how that goes. One of the kittens hit 10 oz yesterday!!

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad they're doing better! I went out of town this weekend and had to catch up today (btw, picking up a litter of 4 week olds without a mom this afternoon!).

Sounds like you've got it worked out now but since you're letting Mom choose when to get away from them (and if they're already following her, soon she won't have a choice!), just a keep a close eye on their weights. You'll want to get more formula and be prepared to supplement their feedings if they're not gaining enough.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that they're surviving! I keep up with this thread worrying about the fates of those tiny babies! Good job with being a partial foster mommy!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aw im happy you didnt have to start bottle feeding its so much better for them if mum feeds them , and im happy to hear that mum is doing better.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junglebutterfly

Momma Lucy seems to be doing much better. She is eating very well and she even seems to have put on a little weight. She is still feeding them even though I have been letting her out of the cage. They are strong enough now that when she walks out of the cage they follow her! It is so cute! I think I might try them back in the bathroom like I usually do with my fosters, and see how that goes. One of the kittens hit 10 oz yesterday!!
See what did I tell ya they would be ok...
Mom is being so good