Urgent needed advice PLEASE..

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been caring for a feral/stray KoKo.. Her story is posted and I have made excellent progress.
This morning KoKo was lured into my home at a last minute decision from my family due to coyotes attacking.. Unfortunately I am not in a bedroom and KoKo is hiding everywhere, jumping everywhere and really is so afraid.. I have made two areas for her to be more comfortable but as written, I do not have a bedroom here.. The family is supporting, but do not wish to accommodate her which is frustrating and heartbreaking.. KoKo knows all of us, especially myself..
She had accidentally been locked inside a week ago overnight and as soon as the door opened she ran..
I do not want her terrorized by being in the home with no room of her own..
Can you advise me if it would be in her best interest to release her back outdoors?
It's a very hard decision as the coyotes are killing the strays and fetals, even opposums..
KoKo hissed at me and I backed away, she is trying to jump into the glass windows, then retreats back to wherever she can in the house..
I don't know what to do.. I've never been in such a hard situation..
I only want what is best for KoKo..
Thank you kindly,
LinandNin & KoKo

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You dont have a suitable room to get her into as her safe area?  Perhaps a big dog cage may be a solution here.

Try also with a Feliway diffuser, and or some relaxing muscic. Classical harp music should be best, but almost any may work.

Re her colors - she is a point of sorts.  The combination is probably a mix of the usual siamese type point and the rather scarce burmanese point type.  One from each parent.   Whom themselves could have any looks, being just carriers of this recessive gene.

Unless she is an oldie. Having that dark point, they gets dark on the body as senior citizens.   But the mix discusse above they darken up on the body already as kittens.

I know it wasnt your question, but may be nice to know anyways.   :)

Good luck!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is definitely much better for her to be indoors, so if it's at all possible to keep her inside, please do. If you have or can obtain a large cage or crate, I think that's the best option for everyone for now. You can drape a towel or sheet over the sides so she can feel safer, and set it up with a bed, a litter box, and some food and water. She will still be scared, but it will be much less overwhelming for her to be in a small space like this for now.

Since she is not a true feral and has shown such promising signs already, you will be able to transition her into being a house cat with time. I'm not sure what it is your family objects to about keeping her long term, but if they don't change your minds hopefully you can find her a good home that she will be ready for thanks to your efforts!

This is a great guide that walks you through a very slow and steady socialization process for scared cats. She may come around faster more quickly, but some of it might be useful: bestfriends.org/resources/socializing-very-shy-or-fearful-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I truly appreciate your kindness and I had no clue really what she was, I thought definitely Siamese but I appreciate your information.
I'm playing classical music, blinking at her, she calm as of right now.. I put some organic cat nip on the bed where she is as of now..
She's eating and drinking water, I just pray she can stay calm and not begun jumping into these huge windows again..
I will go get the large dog cage and try my best to comfort her..
Thank you sincerely..

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an interesting face she has!  I'd keep her inside, too.  It may take her awhile but eventually, she will adjust to her new surroundings and become more social.  With her tri-colored markings, she's known here as a tortoiseshell.  They have a lot of sass AKA "Tortitude"

Don't be surprised if she starts talking at you.  Our tortie is very vocal.

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow is she really? I'm so stunned because I'm learning more with the information given to me here, thank you just so so very much..

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow is she really? I'm so stunned because I'm learning more with the information given to me here, thank you just so so very much.. <3
She's just beginning to Meow with me while I was caring for her outside.. I'm very empathetic to our little Furry friends.. I wish I could save them all and love them as they should be..
KoKo is definitely am abandoned and severely abused feline.. I have seen scars and horrible fear from her.. It looks as if she's been fixed, however she has (what looks like) some burns about her little body..
LOVE 2 ALL, TYSVM..
I would try my best to get some composure calming supplement into her.  It really will help her.  Yet, she will have set backs and I hope your other family members can be patient. 

Also be sure to get her to the vet.  She will need a check up as well as some shots as well as determining if she is spayed or not.  Did you see a spay scar that indicated she has been spayed?

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning and thank you so much.. I was going to pm you late last night.. KoKo ran out of the front door, and I was over the top upset with one member of my family in particular..
I have been out all night and finally she came back.. I don't know if I've cried harder than seeing her walk right up to me for her normal routine of feeding.. :']
I did see a spay scar on her lower belly, along with - what I would consider some form of circular burns.. Possibly cigarette..
It took me 2 months to gain EVEN the basic trust of KoKo.. She is heavily scarred on her hind quarters.. Its extreme..
I have (now) an extra large dog cage.. Also a safe and secure travel carrier which I kept from my indoor babies..
I will follow the instructions and YES get her to The Cat Hosital which in my area, is the only vet I trust.. They are aware of KoKo's semi feral circumstance, and also have given me instructions on my other ferals..
I truly appreciate your advice.. I am in the process of also reconstructing the rescue shelter I have build inside the carport, so that the coyotes cannot harm the several abandoned strays and ferals that I am caring for.. Animal control removed two coyotes as of yesterday, this was of some comfort when KoKo darted out of the house.. I just stayed outside all night looking for her, and making sure that the surroundings were safe.. I live in a mobile home park so I have to really be so careful that my shelter is not tagged from neighbors and management..
I would risk this property however and take them with me should it come to that..
I will be taking them one at a time to my trusted vet.. I'm so grateful for your reply and all of the instructions..

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know how you feel.  When one of my ferals has gone missing, I am beside myself with worry.  Having constant coyotes present would put me in quite a state.  We do have coyotes in the areas and I have seen them in my backyard as well.  They scare me to death.  I am so happy that Koko will be safe inside your home.

A large dog crate will be quite useful.  If she seems agitated in it, just cover it with a sheet so that she cannot see out.  It should calm her down. 

The poor dear, with the cigarette burns.  I cannot imagine someone physically hurting an animal.  What would drive them to do such a thing?  I hope there is a special place in h*ll for them.  Last year I rescued a sweet tortie who had been abused.  It appeared that someone had grabbed her by the tail and thrown her against a wall.  Her tail was broken and she had several old injuries from abuse as well. 

It may take Koko a long time to trust humans.  Another thought is to try some flower essences.  Jackson Galaxy has a line called Spirit Essences.  They are fabulous.  They take a few weeks to work, but I have had very good results.  You can even email them for help on picking out the best remedy to try.  I have had better luck with Spirit Essences than Rescue Remedy. 

Thank you so much for caring for Koko.  I hope within time she will learn that not all humans are bad.  You are fortunate to have a vet in the area that will work with her.  So happy she is spayed.  It is odd that someone cared enough to spay her, but in the end abused her. 

Keep us updated.

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to thank you so very much, I'm so grateful to all of you..
I can't fathom abuse of any kind.. This is what really drew me to KoKo as I could see her hind quarters were tattered.. She has much scarring in that area and hardly any protective fur on her tail..
If I could make personal reservations for demons who do such torturous acts in h*ll, I WOULDN'T HESITATE!
I'm online right now looking at The Essense products.. I am heartbroken to read about your tortie.. You are such a loving and exceptional individual as so many advisors here..
You're a savior and I cannot express my appreciation enough..
I am preparing KoKo's vet trip right now and reading everything that has been posted here with links..
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH..

LinandNin & KoKo

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im extremely discouraged..
Last Monday my baby KoKo was in fact pregnant.. I took her to the vet and made a very hard decision do to her poor condition..
She was released and brought home mid afternoon yesterday.. She is now spayed, vaccinated, and I have followed the wonderful advisors suggestions here.. I have an extra large dog playpen indoors, for my little KoKo who only weighs in at 6.3 lbs..
Since arriving home, KoKo seemed to be adjusting and doing well after 5 long days of surgery and recovery at my very trusted vet.. She is also just one year old.. She had a major procedure and did excellent during her vet stay..
She is eating, using litter very well, I have The Feliway plug-in, sheet covering her kennel/house.. Soft beds inside, soft extra padding, toys, treats, water, food, but this has what has happened since her 5th hour after arriving home, until now KoKo's 16th hour..
She attacked me as I cleaned her litter, she clawed my face open right next to both of my eyes.. Shes hissing at me when I try to comfort her from nonstop distress crying that is heartbreaking to hear..
KoKo has never been aggressive toward me, and attacked and hissed..
She jumps at my approach, yowls and hisses.. The face attack has really injured me and I am so so broken as to why..
KoKo has come so far in this journey, I am truly in need of clear guidance, advice, and help please...
Shes trying to claw her way out of her house and I am determined to keep her indoors and safe from the outside..
What have I done so wrong to KoKo? CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME...
Sincerely,
LinandNin &KoKo

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry things are not going well.  I wonder if she is not feeling well after her surgery.  Does she go back to the vet for a check up soon. 

I would see about getting a divider for the cage.  You can then put the divider in place to keep her from you while you clean the litter.  You might be able to slide a piece of cardboard between the slats.  I know that others have used two crates that they zip tie together.  One of the crates has two doors.  You place her litter in one crate the space for her to sleep and eat in the other crate.  It might be easier to clean that way.

Can you post a picture of the set up you are using now? 

Have you looked into trying the Composure liquid max?  She may be mourning the loss of her pregnancy as well.  Her hormones are also shutting down.  She needs time, patience and love. 

mustang sally

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to say blessed be to you, Lady!! Thank you, and everyone like you, for loving and caring and helping the furbabies of the world!

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, i took some quick pics of KoKo, i have her set up this way.. Its a 45 inch extra large puppy/kitty playpen.. I just spoke to my vet and evetything you have written is an exact match to his words..
Shes missing her kittens, hormones are now shutting down, shes also adjusting to her new surroundings.. As for her attack on me, i will place the cardboard between her and myself and not put my upper body into her space.. I still feel just very sad that i was not able to take KoKo into a vet check the first time i was able to get her indoors from the coyotes & foxes..
I did purchase KoKo's essense products & multi Feliway plug-in..
I truly aporeciate your time, and i will do my very, very best to make KoKo's life as beautiful as possible.. I understand that this takes much, much patience and time..
She does have a post-op check-up.. If anything should be concerning, my instructions are to take her in.. Her eating is excellent, its the nonstop crying that is torture to hear.. I just hope she will be ok and have a healthy and loving life with me..
And thank you for the dear comments from everyone..
Sincerely,
LinandNin & KoKo

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have not done anything wrong.  To the contrary, everything you have done so far has improved her life.  But cats do not like change - even good change.  It will take her some time, but she will adjust.  She may never be a lap cat but she will adjust to being inside.

Please keep up the good work. Think of all the horrible things this poor bay has seen - and the future she would have endured except for your efforts.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your set up is just wonderful.  The crying will stop, but it may take awhile.  Just give her time and love.  Play some soft calming music for her too.  I used to play some harp music for pets that I found on Amazon to download to my ipod. 

You are doing the absolute best you can for her and  you are wonderful not to be deterred after the attack.  Many would give up.  Koko will be so happy once she settles.

linandnin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU SINCERELY EVERYONE..................... MY APPRECIATION IS OVERWHELMING TO ALL OF YOU WHOM TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE ME THE HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT NEEDED DURING THIS HARSH TIME...

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please keep us updated on Koko.  She needs you so much, she just doesn't realize it yet.  The hormones and loss should subside as time goes by. 

I look forward to hearing more of Koko's adjustment.