Urgent need of consultation!! My cat is dying 😭

Status
Not open for further replies.

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and my youngest is a 4 months old kitten. Three days ago, I bought a new brand of wet food for my 1 year old cat, which unfortunately was eaten by my kitten.
I didn't think it would be much of a problem since she did it a few times before, but no, it WAS a problem. The next morning she had bad diarrhea started vomiting excessively, hair balls, food, and even water. At first I thought she might have eaten a piece of paper or even had a stuck hair ball, but she did not stop vomiting even after she threw up everything in her belly, she even threw up stomach juices.
I planned to take her to the vet the next morning, but in the middle of the night she started vomiting blood! And I even found clotted blood in her litter box. I tried giving her sugared water for hydration and she calmed a bit.
The next morning I immediately took her to the vet, she was given 4 injections and an IV. Apparently, it was because the sudden change of food. I returned home, gave her some boiled chicken mince, but she threw it up. After another day of refusing to eat anything and still throwing up, I took her to another vet and he gave her 3 injection, a green liquid in her mounth, and anti vomiting drops.
However, when we returned back she became depressed, and started throwing up even the water I hardly made her drink. She kept lying on wet ground, and for some reason refuses to stay with me even though she used to be soooo clingy.
Now, she is too weak, her steps are wobly, I contacted the vet qnd he said to wait and observe until tomorrow. What tomorrow?? I don't think she might even make it past midnight! She looks too weak and tired, it hurts me so much to not be able to do anything.
If anyone knows how to relieve even a bit of her pai please tell me, i don't wish to lose her like that 💔

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, what a disaster! I am so sorry for you and your kitty. :(
If I read this correctly, she has seen two vets? Which vet told you to wait? I would contact the vet that has not told you to wait and see if they can see her ASAP. Make sure they know she's weak, doesn't want to move, her steps are wobbly, and she cannot hold down liquid. Are her gums nice and pink, as well as the inside of her ears?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for what you and kitty are going through. I don't think this is solely related to the food that she ate, unless it was tainted/bad and she essentially has a form of food poisoning - even if the other older cats could endure through it.

It doesn't help you any, but your vets have not been at all helpful. I don't know where you are located, or even if either of the vets you saw were emergency vets. But if not, find one now. She probably needs to be hospitalized. It would also be helpful to a new vet to know what all the previous vets have done, hopefully they can make contact and find out.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a disaster! I am so sorry for you and your kitty. :(
If I read this correctly, she has seen two vets? Which vet told you to wait? I would contact the vet that has not told you to wait and see if they can see her ASAP. Make sure they know she's weak, doesn't want to move, her steps are wobbly, and she cannot hold down liquid. Are her gums nice and pink, as well as the inside of her ears?
Hello, one of the vets couldn't be contacted, so only the second one is available. I plan on going to a bigger veterinary clinic tomorrow, but it's a bit far and I don't think she will make it until tomorrow 💔

About her gums and ears, yes it's clean and pinck, she had beeing teething this running month.

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for what you and kitty are going through. I don't think this is solely related to the food that she ate, unless it was tainted/bad and she essentially has a form of food poisoning - even if the other older cats could endure through it.

It doesn't help you any, but your vets have not been at all helpful. I don't know where you are located, or even if either of the vets you saw were emergency vets. But if not, find one now. She probably needs to be hospitalized. It would also be helpful to a new vet to know what all the previous vets have done, hopefully they can make contact and find out.
Thank you for your advice, but where I live there is no emergency service for animals.
I do plan on going to a bigger clinic once morning comes, but she might not make till tomorrow...

auntkitty33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats and my youngest is a 4 months old kitten. Three days ago, I bought a new brand of wet food for my 1 year old cat, which unfortunately was eaten by my kitten.
I didn't think it would be much of a problem since she did it a few times before, but no, it WAS a problem. The next morning she had bad diarrhea started vomiting excessively, hair balls, food, and even water. At first I thought she might have eaten a piece of paper or even had a stuck hair ball, but she did not stop vomiting even after she threw up everything in her belly, she even threw up stomach juices.
I planned to take her to the vet the next morning, but in the middle of the night she started vomiting blood! And I even found clotted blood in her litter box. I tried giving her sugared water for hydration and she calmed a bit.
The next morning I immediately took her to the vet, she was given 4 injections and an IV. Apparently, it was because the sudden change of food. I returned home, gave her some boiled chicken mince, but she threw it up. After another day of refusing to eat anything and still throwing up, I took her to another vet and he gave her 3 injection, a green liquid in her mounth, and anti vomiting drops.
However, when we returned back she became depressed, and started throwing up even the water I hardly made her drink. She kept lying on wet ground, and for some reason refuses to stay with me even though she used to be soooo clingy.
Now, she is too weak, her steps are wobly, I contacted the vet qnd he said to wait and observe until tomorrow. What tomorrow?? I don't think she might even make it past midnight! She looks too weak and tired, it hurts me so much to not be able to do anything.
If anyone knows how to relieve even a bit of her pai please tell me, i don't wish to lose her like that 💔
Samira,
I hope your kitten is ok. What occurred to me at first was whether the new food could have been contaminated, but you apparently gave it to other cats. Rat poison causes bleeding. But, as you say, sudden change in diet?
Could the kitten have gotten into something?
For now, try syringing homemade (or natural with NO GARLIC OR ONION) chicken bone broth each few minutes to keep kitten hydrated. You can half it with water, add a pinch of salt, but keep the electrolytes up.
Also - did they check for distemper?
Hydration would still be key. Hope kitten will be ok. Keep her warm. Of course there are emergency vets. Hopefully with hydration and electrolyte improving maybe strength will too . . .
Look up possible use of Renal-K, BUT ask vet if it's ok.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
samira samira Is she able to keep anything down? Does she throw up everything she swallows, including water and whatever you can syringe feed her?

If so this sounds like a blockage. She may have swallowed something that is causing an obstruction and this will need to be removed if she is to recover. Have any of the vets given her an x-ray or ultrasound exam?

auntkitty33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Samira,
I hope your kitten is ok. What occurred to me at first was whether the new food could have been contaminated, but you apparently gave it to other cats. Rat poison causes bleeding. But, as you say, sudden change in diet?
For now, try syringing homemade (or natural with NO GARLIC OR ONION) chicken bone broth each few minutes to keep kitten hydrated. You can half it with water, add a pinch of salt, but keep the electrolytes up.
Hydration would still be key. Hope kitten will be ok. Keep her warm. Of course there are emergency vets. Hopefully with hydration and electrolyte improving maybe strength will too . . .
What is really concerning is the blood. DID they check for distemper?

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Samira,
Thank you for your advice, but she passed away.
At least she would be at peace now💔

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
samira samira Is she able to keep anything down? Does she throw up everything she swallows, including water and whatever you can syringe feed her?

If so this sounds like a blockage. She may have swallowed something that is causing an obstruction and this will need to be removed if she is to recover. Have any of the vets given her an x-ray or ultrasound exam?
Thank you for your time, she passed away before the veterinary clinics open.

No, the previous vets did not do any kind of tests, only physical check up before giving her medication.

She threw up everything including regular water. The last one time I was trying to feed her some syrup, she threw up a very yellow and sticky liquid. This was when I knew she couldn't make it, two hours after, she passed away.

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump::angel3: I am so, so sorry. But, as you said, she is at peace now. Bless your little baby.
Thank you all for replying, I at least felt that someone actually wanted to help.

She was our little angel.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss! 😢 She was a beautiful little thing. You certainly did all you could to help her, it's scary to not have emergency vet care available. This is an ongoing problem in many areas.
I don't know what was wrong with her, but whatever it was sounded like something bad was happening, and as you said, she is at peace now. No more pain. Rest easy, little angel until we all meet again. :angel: 🕊

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sad. Maybe make an online remembrance. She was lovely!
Yes, I hope the OP will make a remembrance post in the Crossing the Bridge forum, when they are ready. That little kitten was very beautiful and obviously very loved. ❤

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a tragedy :alright: She was a very beautiful kitten. Her symptoms definitely did not present as a case of sudden food change. samira samira did an excellent job of assessing the situation and administering first aid. To me, it sounded more like a case of toxicity or, as others said, some sort of foreign object or blockage. Godspeed, baby kitty

Status
Not open for further replies.