URGENT- need legal advice regarding apt and cats

linda_of_pgff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Pamela

I have tried to negotiate with some landlords regarding 4 cats (told them that my cats are trained NOT to knead on the carpet, etc and that I keep the apt very clean, etc) but they all say SORRY- ONLY UP TO TWO CATS! NO FURTHER DISCUSSION. Negotiating with apt complexes are a bit more difficult for me than normal cuz I'm deaf so I tend to communicate with hearing ppl via writing. Often ppl get impatient waiting for me to write and having to write their replies to me so that makes it harder for me to negotiate with them. Another fear I have about lying is being caught and kicked out.
. . .
Oh, for some of u guys who are familiar with Callie (posted a thread on her in Ferals/strays- http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...threadid=33337), I've decided it's not fair to take her in since she's still very wild and this is her terrority so I've asked a neighbor if she'd be willing to start feeding/caring for Callie and she said YES!! Sooo, Callie WILL be taken care of after I move.
I will miss her but I think it's for the best this way.
Pamela,

If you want someone to talk to some of the apartment management for you, well, I am in PG County too, I'm a landlord (see other posts) and a cat rescuer. And I have been a labor negotiator for a union, in the past too. I'm equipped, I think, to at least offer to try! I wish that I had another house, I'd rent it to you in nothing flat!

Were you adopting cats from any local organization, maybe, or did you work with one in doing rescue work? If so, maybe they would be willing to speak on your behalf, too, to the managers of the apartments. That's worth a try, maybe. Of course, I understand that you are probably very stressed over the whole thing right now, feeling nothing will work out right. I am sorry.

You are doing right by Callie (I didn't read your earlier posts but . . ) I think - it's very responsible to do as you've done, arranging for her care, and recognizing that at least she knows the snares and the comforts of where she is, and doesn't have to re-learn a new territory. If your neighbor ever needs some support with Callie, they can contact my group and we'll see that they get help.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't lie to your landlord. We were allowed two cats and had five. When they found out they gave us 30 days to vacate or get rid of the cats. I left. They can throw you out. We had never been late with our rent (2 years worth), never filed a complaint against anyone, never had a fight, never had the cops called to our place and it didn't make any difference.

mamakat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didnt read all the replies so I apologize if this has already been said. I know you would like to stay close to work, but if you can find an apt/condo/house to rent that is outside that general area, I would still probably take it. At least that would give you more time to look for a more ideal place. I would much rather add some time to my commute than give up my cats or move out of state. You could try to sign a short lease, like 6 months and use that time to find a place close to work that will accept all 4 of your kitties

Good luck with whatever you choose though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick update-
After many hours of calling around and asking upfront if various places would accept 4 cats, I found two places that will accept 4 cats! One is about 45 min away and is a duplex. I am going to the open house on Sunday to see if it is what I'm looking for so we'll see.

Pls send me positive vibes that I will be able to make the right decision regarding where to live.
Anywhere I go, my 4 babies will be coming with me!!

THANKS u guys again for all the words of advice and support. I really appreciate it.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Pamela
I have tried to negotiate with some landlords regarding 4 cats (told them that my cats are trained NOT to knead on the carpet, etc and that I keep the apt very clean, etc) but they all say SORRY- ONLY UP TO TWO CATS! NO FURTHER DISCUSSION. Negotiating with apt complexes are a bit more difficult for me than normal cuz I'm deaf so I tend to communicate with hearing ppl via writing. Often ppl get impatient waiting for me to write and having to write their replies to me so that makes it harder for me to negotiate with them. Another fear I have about lying is being caught and kicked out.

I have pretty much given up on finding an apartment. It is looking more and more likely that either I will have to buy a place (unlikely due to not being ready financially/emotionally) or move back home to Utah. This is not the SOLE reason for moving back to Utah. There are other factors in this but I will not go into this here.
I hope you find something suitable for you and the kitties. I know what it is like. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I live in Utah and just found out there is a two cat limit per household here too. And it's not just for renting... it's the law here. I checked around a bit though, and found out they don't bother you if you're responsible and take good care of your cats (and as long as you're not hoarding). In fact the humane society asks on their application how many other cats (or dogs) you have in the home and they never deny someone because they already have the 2 cat limit.