URGENT!!! Need advice about smelly couches and buying new couches

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About a month ago or so, Heid peed and had bad diaherra on my couch several times. I took her to the vet immediately and got her on medincine so she's okay now.

Ever since, I have tried to get rid of the smell from the couch- it has gone down a lot but still can smell it if I sniff at the pillows/bottom cushion and sometimes when I sit down, a FAINT smell floats up (eww).. I have tried almost all products intended for removing cat urine/stool smell on the couch and today took all foam from two pillows so I could wash the covers and replace the foam to see if that will help remove the smell completely. The problem with the bottom cushion is that I cannot take the cushion off from the foam since part of the cover is sewn onto the foam. So this means I'm stuck with the smell on the bottom cushion..

I have been thinking of buying a new couch ANYWAY. The big issue is that a friend is coming and wants to stay a couple nights with me. I do NOT want her smelling this in my home!! She'll be coming on Aug 25-27th so I do not have a lot of time.

What I need HELP with at this point are:

recommendations of good couches/materials that would resist smells so if Heidi have accidents AGAIN then I can save the couch... I also plan to put a blanket or accident-proof mattress cover over the new couch when I'm not using it so if Heidi has accidents again, I can just wash the blanket/ mattress cover and not worry about the couch being ruined.

Another issue is Zebra sometimes kneads the couch so it's a bit frayed at the corners. What kind of materials are there that cats are least likely to knead on? I have cat scratching posts/condos all over the house but she likes the material on my couch for kneading on. She doesn't do it very OFTEN though.

To summarize what I need-

I need to know what kind of couch materials are best for the following issues:

repell smells from urine/poop/diaherra or be able to clean/remove completely]least attractive for kneading on

HOPE I"m making sense and to get some advice/replies today about this.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that microfiber sofa's are are scratchproof. As for the other you almost would have to cover with a rubber sheet that people use if there kids are bed wetters.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Microfibre couches are fantastic - I have one and Kahu is always scratching it and not a scratch on it! They are very good at retaining kitty footprints though -its cute!