URGENT- need advice about ferals and hurricane

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing that has worked for us is to tie a chicken leg (like from KFC) to the back of the trap with dental floss. They'll walk in all the way to get to the chicken. We've had a few that took us over a year to trap. We finally used our drop trap that my husband made:

ellie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Pamela,

My cats are also acting funny. They seem to be nervous and have been very vocal and they constantly want attention. I also have a Buddy and he's the one I noticed the change in the most.

It's 12:14 and it's started raining and the wind is really picking up. The trees are swaying back and forth.

I have a kennel for a small dog if you would like to borrow it. I live in Waldorf.

Ellie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As u can see, power is STILL on!Ellie, same thing here- the wind is starting to pick up real strong and it's starting to rain hard. THANKS for the offer of the dog kennel.
I already went and picked up a dog kennel from my friend's this morning.

Still no luck in trapping Callie. Recently, she came and huddled at the sliding door staring at me. It got me so upset! When I went to open the door, she took off again.

Hissy, yeah I did think of keeping the other feral inside but at that time I didn't have the kennel so I couldn't have transferred him to the kennel then having the trap free to trap callie with and I wouldn't have any other room to keep them separate in. (Meaning I keep either Callie or the other feral in bathroom then the other feral in the kennel then me with all my cats in my bedroom when it gets bad. I also am pretty sure that HE (feral) have a lot more common sense than Callie does. I really don't think Callie has much common sense especially since RECENTLY she was at my door and it was VERY windy and rainy! Right now, I don't see her so I'm HOPING she has found shelter under my deck and WON'T come back until the storm is over cuz I don't want her getting hurt if she comes out of the shelter. I have put a HUGE bowl of dry catfood under the deck so hopefully she and other ferals will find the food and eat when they're hungry.

I had a real hard time trapping Callie the first time to get her spayed so I suspected that it'd be hard for me to catch her since she KNOWS about the trap and apparently she does remember..

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pamela, I just want you to know my thoughts are with you and your family & furr-family, including the extended family! You too, Ellie!

Stay safe!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Electricity is still on so far. I have not seen CAllie or any other ferals outside for the last couple hours so I guess that's good.

Ellie, how are u doing? Were u able to get ur tame ferals in yet?

It is starting to get real bad here in my area. It's pouring rain, trees are swayihng back and forth, tree branchs and other stuff are being flung around outside. My cats are REALLY starting to freak out. I m going to put them in carriers in a few minutes.

I think I'll lose electricity soon. Power has flickered a few times. I better get off and unplug my laptop so it won't get damaged.

Ellie, hang in there. Others who have offered support to us poor suckers here on the path of hurricane Isabel, THANKS!!!! Keep thinking of us..
Ill be thinking of u lucky people safe in ur houses with ur furbabies.

Pamela

ellie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Pamela,

How did you make out?

There was a large crabapple tree and a pear tree that fell over and some large branches and hundreds of twigs in my yard, but nothing serious. My power went off 10:30 Thursday night and it didn't come back on till 11:00 Friday morning. I met an elderly couple yesterday that haven't had electricity for 3 days.

My cats slept through the whole thing. I haven't been able to get my two friendly ferals inside yet but I'm going to keep trying. I want them in the house before we get snow. I also have a new feral that I need to trap and get to Petworth.

Ellie

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still alive and kicking!
I NEVER want to go thru another storm like that ever again!

Callie is still alive also but let me tell u something- she is OFFICIALLY A VERY STUPID CAT WITH NO COMMON SENSE! Let me explain why..

Thurs afternoon/evening as the storm was getting worse, she came out to my door several times and would huddle there looking pitiful. I opened my door for her to come in if she wanted but she would run off and disappear for a while. Around 8 pm on Thurs when it was really bad (some big branches had fallen on my deck by then), I was moving all 4 of my cats into my bedroom to put in their carriers and as I passed one window, I saw Callie. She was sitting in the corner near my window with her back to the outside walls of the house and I could tell she was having a hard time staying on her legs due to the strong wind. I just couldn't believe my eyes. I told her thru the window (she was looking at me the whole time) to go find shelter but she refused.

This was a very very dumb action on my part but I went outside to try to catch her (luckily I didn't get hit by anything-just got soaked really good) and she stayed in the corner until I got to less than a foot away then she took off. She came back 2-3 times after that and it broke my heart to see her fighting her way to my sliding door but the first 2 times, I opened the door, she'd run off so after the 2nd time, I just left her be and prayed that she'd live.

The next morning (Fri), she was at my door yowling for food so apparently she survived with no damage!

I lost electricity Thurs afternoon around 4 and it didn't come back on until Sat nite. I was able to use my laptop for 2-3 hours (on and off) to communicate with my family since my laptop has its own battery (2-3 hours worth).

I was very lucky that there were no big damage to my landlord's house. Some BIG branches fell on my deck. I took pics- will get developed then scan some and share with u guys. Almost every house on my street had trees that were either fallen, missing branches or listing to the side. My next door neighbor's tree (small) fell on his car but luckily no damage to the car. Two houses away from mine- there were two BIG trees that fell over into another backyard missing his house by several feet!

Several times during Thurs afternoon/night, I was POSITIVE that some trees would fall on me cuz I could see the branches AND trunks of trees swaying back and forth. There's a lot of trees in my backyard. Luckily enough, none in my yard fell..

My cats, Callie and I are doing okay.. THANKS to u all for ur support and care!!

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so sad, that she came to you for comfort, but was not able to get the nerve to go in the house. At least she's ok! I guess she wanted you to make the storm go away!!

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank goodness you are all okay - it sounds like a true nightmare - we don't get ANYTHING like that over here. Perhaps Callie will feel braver over the next few weeks at least she knows you are still there. Good luck with the clearing up and all.
tulip

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pamela, I'm so glad you and all of the kitties made it through the storm OK. Poor Callie, it sounds like she really wants to trust you and for you to help her, but just can't quite get brave enough yet.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pamela , you are one lucky woman . I am sure you were scared to death , at least I would have been . I am so happy to read that you and all of your cats are ok . That is great news . I am glad Callie made it save trough that storm . I do hope she will start trusting you more and may get her to be a insite cat one day .

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*bump* for Superkitty