URGENT: My vet is a butcher

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sympathise. I spent ten years in Bosnia and took a number of cats, feral and semi-domesticated street cats, to vets there in horrific conditions. I was lucky eventually to find an Californian-trained vet working at the university and he helped me a lot. For giving her the meds, if you cannot pill her, crush the tablet to a fine powder, mix it in water and give it to her with a syringe (no needle of course) int he side of the nouth, a few drops at a time. I used to do this successfully. If you use tuna jiuce or goat milk it is even better as it disguises the bad flavour of Baytril.

I would give her kitten back. I think that now it would cause less stress. Good luck - I feel for you, I have been so in that situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wanderer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is now eating properly and getting her antibiotics. I have returned the kitten to her and they are both much happier.

Thanks to everyone who replied, as usual your help and advice is invaluable.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It usually takes a day or so for the cat to get completely back to normal. Some just want to sleep into the next day. Sleep it off.

Vets always give a shot of pain meds after the surgery but I have never once used pain meds after that. Vets don't give pain meds, we don't do it at work or our clinics or anything.

I wouldn't expect many to even get back to eating normal until a day or so afterwards. She shouldn't even be offered full meals right away,just a little food at first and then normal amounts the following day if she wants it.

As long as she is drinking some water to keep hydrated. I would also not crush the pills up, just scruff the cat and push it down her throat with your finger, and then rub her neck in the direction the pill would be going down the throat. Gently blow onto her face to make her swallow. That way you know it goes down and she gets all the meds. In food you don't know if she is going to want to eat it all.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Vets always give a shot of pain meds after the surgery but I have never once used pain meds after that. Vets don't give pain meds, we don't do it at work or our clinics or anything.
I strongly disagree. My vets also give the pain med injection after surgery and *always* send pain meds home for the cat. I've asked my vet why some vets don't dispense pain meds - she shakes her head and says that some wrongly believe the meds aren't effective. That *may* have been true years ago, but no longer with the new pain meds. Surgery is painful, whether it's a spay or a tooth removal. Cats feel pain. They need pain relief. One shot after the spay isn't enough.

Originally Posted by Jen

I would also not crush the pills up, just scruff the cat and push it down her throat with your finger, and then rub her neck in the direction the pill would be going down the throat. Gently blow onto her face to make her swallow. That way you know it goes down and she gets all the meds. In food you don't know if she is going to want to eat it all.
Before you do this, see if your vet has a pill "gun" you can buy. It's just a long plastic "pea shooter" type device. It's not expensive;in the US it's only about $2. You fit the pill in one end, put it in the cat's mouth and push the plunger. Do *not* hold her mouth closed to make her swallow the pill, that's actually counterproductive. Definitely follow the pill with water, though. That's important. Pills can lodge in the throat and start to dissolve, which can burn the esophagus. You'll need a little syringe for this, a 3cc size would be fine. Fill it twice with water after a pill.

If you first want to try the meds in food, give her just a little 1/2" diameter "meatball" of food that you've tucked the pill inside, rather than mix the meds into a full meal. Once she eats the meatball (hopefully!) you can then feed her the rest of her food.

So glad to hear she's doing better and I'm very happy she and her kitten are together again!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just saying I have been in clinics and rescues and vets offices for years and I have never ever seen a vet give follow up pain meds for a cat following a spay surgery. I discharge cats from the clinic at the place I work at and there is never pain meds given. I have never even heard of it being done before until I came to this site a few years ago lol. None of mine have ever been on meds, they are bouncing bundles of energy by the next day or so and I have a hard time keeping them calm enough to rest.

I didn't think to suggest the pill gun but yes definitely try that if you can find one!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

None of mine have ever been on meds, they are bouncing bundles of energy by the next day or so and I have a hard time keeping them calm enough to rest.
mine either - both the pain meds & the 'trying to keep them quiet' part.
i have a pill popper. it works ok for some of the cats, but Pixel i have better luck w/buttering the pill & using my hands.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I am just saying I have been in clinics and rescues and vets offices for years and I have never ever seen a vet give follow up pain meds for a cat following a spay surgery. I discharge cats from the clinic at the place I work at and there is never pain meds given. I have never even heard of it being done before until I came to this site a few years ago lol. None of mine have ever been on meds, they are bouncing bundles of energy by the next day or so and I have a hard time keeping them calm enough to rest.
Medicine is practiced differently in different parts of the country - both vet and human. In my area, the vets wouldn't think of releasing a spayed cat or dog for 48 to 72 hours. Pain meds are often given, on a tapering schedule, but they are usually kept long enough that they aren't necessary. Since most of the people in our area view their pets as family, they demand/expect/pay for care similar to what would be seen in human care.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Medicine is practiced differently in different parts of the country - both vet and human. In my area, the vets wouldn't think of releasing a spayed cat or dog for 48 to 72 hours. Pain meds are often given, on a tapering schedule, but they are usually kept long enough that they aren't necessary. Since most of the people in our area view their pets as family, they demand/expect/pay for care similar to what would be seen in human care.
Most people here consider their pets family also, including me but I just don't see pain meds and keeping the patient over night as necessary. I am not about to stop anyone else from doing it though if they want to. I can monitor my cats behavior when they are with me through the night, not at the vets when they all go home for the night and my pet is left there alone.